Al's Voice

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

joseyklein
Obsessed

Re: Al's Voice

Post by joseyklein »

He also does IAATP in a lower key as well

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

I think he dose these in a lower key now:

Smells Like Nirvana
Gump
Another One Rides The Bus (not sure)
First World Problems
Why dose This Always Happen To Me?
Canadian Idiot
Amish Paradise
Wanna B Ur Lovr (not sure)
Fat (not sure)
Muppetboy09
Obsessed
Awards: Best Emoticon (Animated)
Best Emoticon (Non Animated)
Best New Member (2010-2013)

Post by Muppetboy09 »

YankoSwag 8888 wrote:I think he dose these in a lower key now:

Smells Like Nirvana
Gump
Another One Rides The Bus (not sure)
First World Problems
Why dose This Always Happen To Me?
Canadian Idiot
Amish Paradise
Wanna B Ur Lovr (not sure)
Fat (not sure)
No. Gump is the only one in your list that is lowered. Well, WDTAHTM is lowered, but he doesn't do that song anymore.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Also, on a semi-related note -- it looked like Ruben was doing the "Because I'm tackyyyyyyy" under the chorus of "Tacky". Is he really singing that part, or just lipping it?
So, "Because I'm Tacky" is backing tracks of Al. If you listen really carefully, you CAN hear some of the band members (most notably Steve) singing along with it. Al also lip syncs the falsetto parts in the chorus, but that's it.
"Be the climate, not the weather." -Al Yankovic
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Muppetboy09 wrote:No. Gump is the only one in your list that is lowered. Well, WDTAHTM is lowered, but he doesn't do that song anymore.
I have perfect pitch, but I haven't heard every song on his list. I could definitely tell that "Gump" was lowered, but Nirvana, AORTB, FWP, Canadian, Amish, and Fat are in the same key as always.
Muppetboy09 wrote:So, "Because I'm Tacky" is backing tracks of Al. If you listen really carefully, you CAN hear some of the band members (most notably Steve) singing along with it. Al also lip syncs the falsetto parts in the chorus, but that's it.
I figured Steve was in there somewhere -- his voice is much deeper than the others', so anything he sings really stands out. I had a suspicion that the "because I'm tacky" part was a backing track, but also that Ruben et al. were filling it out. However, I'm terrible at spotting lip-sync, so I didn't notice that.

The choral vocals on "Amish Paradise" are definitely backing tracks -- it looks like Kimo handles a sequencer on that song since there's no guitar part -- and I think some of the BGVs on "eBay" as well. Does he use backing tracks/lip sync anywhere else in his current set?
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: The choral vocals on "Amish Paradise" are definitely backing tracks -- it looks like Kimo handles a sequencer on that song since there's no guitar part -- and I think some of the BGVs on "eBay" as well. Does he use backing tracks/lip sync anywhere else in his current set?
Here is my list of all backing tracks for the show:

Tacky (Backing Vocals in Chorus, Falsetto parts in the Chorus)
Lame Claim to Fame (None)
Now That's What I Call Polka (Brass Instruments/Whistles, Some vocals during the end of Get Lucky)
Perform This Way (Most of the instrumental such as synths and other sounds, and the backing vocals during all choruses)
Dare To Be Stupid (The keyboard, Bermuda plays the electronic drum sounds off his drum pad)
Fat (All snare hits, the "cha" that always play, sound effects)
First World Problems (Amanda Palmers vocals, the word "Amazon", and the breathing at the end)
Foil (Backing vocals during chorus)
Smells Like Nirvana (Gargling, animal noises, tuba)

Medley:
Party in the CIA (Very light backing vocals)
Pentiums (Woman saying "It's All About The Pentiums, Baby")
Handy (Instrumental, Chorus)
Bedrock Anthem (None)
Another One Rides the Bus (None)
Ode to a Superhero (None)
Gump (None)
Inactive (Some drum and bass sounds, chorus backing vocals)
eBay (None)
Canadian Idiot (None)

Wanna B Ur Lovr (Backing Vocals)
Acoustic Medley (None)
White and Nerdy (Instrumental aside from Rubens piano parts, and Jon's drum parts)
Word Crimes (Drum Programming, Backing Vocals running throughout most of song)
Amish Paradise (Choir during Chorus)
Cell Phones (None)
The Saga Begins (None)
Yoda (A litte bit of sequencing in the Yoda Chant, such as a light "Eep Op Eep" in the background so they keep tempo)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Muppetboy09 wrote:Dare To Be Stupid (The keyboard, Bermuda plays the electronic drum sounds off his drum pad)
Which keyboard part is sampled? Both he and Ruben have their keyboards out on that song, so what needs to be sampled?
Muppetboy09 wrote:First World Problems (Amanda Palmers vocals, the word "Amazon", and the breathing at the end)
Interesting that "Amazon" gave him that much trouble, and not "gotta brush my teeth like a Neanderthal".
Muppetboy09 wrote:Acoustic Medley (None)
Out of curiosity, where did the Don Pardo part for "I Lost on Jeopardy" come from there? Did Al have him record it specifically for concert use? Because Don's voice sounds a lot rougher and older than on the song?
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Muppetboy09 wrote:Dare To Be Stupid (The keyboard, Bermuda plays the electronic drum sounds off his drum pad)
Which keyboard part is sampled? Both he and Ruben have their keyboards out on that song, so what needs to be sampled?
Muppetboy09 wrote:First World Problems (Amanda Palmers vocals, the word "Amazon", and the breathing at the end)
Interesting that "Amazon" gave him that much trouble, and not "gotta brush my teeth like a Neanderthal".
Muppetboy09 wrote:Acoustic Medley (None)
Out of curiosity, where did the Don Pardo part for "I Lost on Jeopardy" come from there? Did Al have him record it specifically for concert use? Because Don's voice sounds a lot rougher and older than on the song?
The entire "main keyboard part for DTBS is used (the one you hear from the beginning). Al doesn't actually play that keyboard. It is there as a prop.
The Don Pardo clip was an alternate take from the "I Lost on Jeopardy" music video.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Muppetboy09 wrote: The entire "main keyboard part for DTBS is used (the one you hear from the beginning). Al doesn't actually play that keyboard. It is there as a prop.
Any idea why they do that? Is it because the song is so keyboard driven that it's hard to recreate live?
Muppetboy09
Obsessed

Post by Muppetboy09 »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
Muppetboy09 wrote: The entire "main keyboard part for DTBS is used (the one you hear from the beginning). Al doesn't actually play that keyboard. It is there as a prop.
Any idea why they do that? Is it because the song is so keyboard driven that it's hard to recreate live?
My guesses would be because it is
A.) A good way to keep the tempo of the song
B.) The keyboard from the song has such a unique sound that would be hard to replicate live
C.) Ruben has other minor keyboard parts to play, so he can't focus on that one

But hey, that would be a question for Bermuda to answer.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Muppetboy09 wrote:But hey, that would be a question for Bermuda to answer.
He may respond by saying, "you'd have to ask Rubén (he's the keyboard player!)"
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.