7/18/10 San Antonio, TX Majestic Theatre

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

SanAnMan

7/18/10 San Antonio, TX Majestic Theatre

Post by SanAnMan »

Haven't seen anyone else post for this stop yet, and I'm just curious to see how many other Al-coholics are coming to the Alamo City. Got my VIP package the other day, and it's front row baby! :D
Last edited by SanAnMan on Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OneWAY
Obsessed

Re: 7/18/10 San Antonio, TX Sunken Gardens Theater

Post by OneWAY »

I wish. Unfortunately I couldn't get the tickets for anything beyond the three shows I bought tickets for. (Actually, I should be a lot more grateful that I get three shows this year.) I made plans to make this and the Amarillo show, but my budget says no.

I kinda wished they hadn't moved the venue, but since I'm not going, I guess it doesn't really matter much to me.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: 7/18/10 San Antonio, TX Sunken Gardens Theater

Post by JEDM »

SanAnMan

Re: VENUE CHANGE! 7/18/10 San Antonio, TX *NOW MAJESTIC THEA

Post by SanAnMan »

If this is true (and considering it's straight from Al's Twitter page, I'm betting it is), I am *SO* very happy to hear it. The Majestic Theater is SOOO much better quality place than Sunken Gardens. Not to mention that it's a comfortable indoor theater as opposed to the outdoor theater that Sunken Gardens is. Just strange that no other website (i.e. Ticketmaster, Weirdal.com, or even the Majestic Theater's website) has mentioned this yet. Maybe just still in the works.

I just hope I still get my front-row seat. :)
SanAnMan

Post by SanAnMan »

More good news. Weirdal.com now has confirmed the venue change, and even emailed me a notice about it confirming that my ticket will be honored. Just have to get to the box office a little earlier day of show and get the replacement seat. Ticketmaster is also showing the event at the new venue too, which is a nice double confirmation.

As a humorous side note, the act that canceled at the last minute to allow Al to play the Majestic was none other than Liza Minelli. Going from Liza to Weird Al on the same night....talk about your change of artistic styles! :)

Can't wait to see Al!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Is SanAnMan the only forum member attending tonight's show? If so, we would love to her your entire story and review as well as an account of which two rotating songs he played at the beginning.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
SanAnMan

Post by SanAnMan »

Late night and early morning tomorrow, I'll post a full review then. But for now, the rotation songs tonight were Frank's 2000" and YDLMA.
SanAnMan

Re: 7/18/10 San Antonio, TX Majestic Theatre

Post by SanAnMan »

So, here's my personal review of Weird Al's concert last night in San Antonio, TX. This is somewhere around my 4th or 5th Weird Al concert, all from San Antonio, and I think this may be the first time Al's performed at the Majestic Theater. By far and away one of the most acoustically-sound and gorgeous venues in all of San Antonio. Miles away in quality from the old location at Sunken Gardens. Plus, Majestic is an indoor theater, whereas Sunken Gardens is outdoors. Major plus.

I had gotten to the theater earlier in the afternoon to make sure my ticket switch went smoothly, but I found out later that all the people who had purchased pre-assigned seating tickets at Sunken Gardens had already been assigned seats at Majestic, so we really didn't have to worry about anything; the tickets were already secured. Even with the venue change, I'd say the theater was still pretty well packed full. Thanks to my VIP package purchase, I had front row seats pretty close to dead center. Sweetness. :)

I really wasn't paying much attention to the songs playing in the background before the show. I did stop off at the merch booth and picked up a t-shirt.

All in all, the show was fantastic, just as all Al's shows always are. "Polka Face" went over very well for an opener, but I'd say the segment with "Baby" by Justin Beiber got more boo's than laughs. Yeah, that song is pretty much hated here. As I briefly mentioned earlier, the rotational songs in this set were "Frank's 2000" TV" followed by "You Don't Love Me Anymore". In YDLMA, Al kept pulling out a guitar like he was going to play it, only to pull it back, and then finally smash it into small pieces at the end.

Seemed only the hard-core Al-oholics were enjoying the new songs from "Internet Leaks". Me personally, I was banging my head when "CNR" really kicked in. "You're Pitiful" had some hilarious costume changes: a gold-sequined LOUD jacket, a t-shirt that I can't remember, a t-shirt that read "Atlantic Records STILL Sucks!" (which by far got the best reaction), and then his traditional closer with the Spongebob t-shirt and the ballerina tutu. "White & Nerdy" was great to see with Al putting around on his Segway like there was no tomorrow. The "Star Wars" themed encore even had a group of dancing Storm Troopers in the background and one of the most realistic remote-controlled R2-D2 robots I've ever seen during "We All Have Cell Phones" and "The Saga Begins". During "Saga", the Storm Troopers even pumped their fists during the parts of the song that had to do with the Empire's segments (i.e. "and in the end some Gungans died"). After the show, I headed out to the tour bus hoping to meet Al, but we were told by multiple people (including Steve Jay, I think) that Al's wife and kids had actually come out to this show, so he was only doing a small M&G and then hitting the road so he could spend some time with his family. No autographs tonight. :(

I'm definitely a hard-core Al-oholic, and when Al comes back to the Al-amo City, you can bet that I'll be there for it. Here are also a few pictures and videos I took while at the show. I apologize for the quality of them, I had to make do with my cell phone cam/video.

Pictures:
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z133 ... 18%202010/

Videos:

"Frank's 2000" TV"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkfUzYleLVI

"You Don't Love Me Anymore"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AgUOEVAXSs

"You're Pitiful"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVX-ReZw4_M

"White & Nerdy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRik_Cot29Y

EDIT -- I mentioned earlier that none of the tour shirts had "San Antonio" as a pit stop. I double-checked my tee and sure enough, San Antonio is on there, just buried at the bottom. Yay! :)
Last edited by SanAnMan on Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Awesome, sounds like you had a great time! Thanks for the review!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Thanks for the review. Glad you had a good time. Suzanne posted a pic from the wings on twitter today. Looks like a beautiful venue!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325