The Setlist 2010

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: The Setlist 2010

Post by TMBJon »

If only you had an American girlfriend, you could start saving up your pennies to visit her and maybe by next summer you'd be able to see him in Albuquerque...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:No, I don't think they're likely to be in the set next year. Usually the back catalog songs that get put into the setlist are in for one tour, and officially this tour is in support of "Essential" so it makes excellent sense to have them there now... not so much when the new album is out and Al will have the new parodies he wants to make known. I also don't think it's a slap in the face of any size. Set lists change, that's just the nature of following an artist with many successful years behind him and who's still producing new material that people want to hear. Al's not an oldies act. Not getting to hear DTBS and BH live is a huge disappointment, but really, a whole tour offers a reasonable opportunity to hear them, even if not everybody is able to. Be glad you're not Scottidog, who had to go 6 years between Al shows. And hey, this tour isn't over yet.
Hmmm...this year was my first Al show, but I thought he kept Dare to Be Stupid in the set every tour, along with some of the 'bigger' songs like Amish Paradise, Smells Like Nirvana, Fat and Yoda. Then again, I was just assuming it.

So if he tours next summer for the new album, it'd be dropped? ;(
Driew_La_27
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Signature

Post by Driew_La_27 »

HappyGilmore wrote: Hmmm...this year was my first Al show, but I thought he kept Dare to Be Stupid in the set every tour, along with some of the 'bigger' songs like Amish Paradise, Smells Like Nirvana, Fat and Yoda. Then again, I was just assuming it.
Dare to Be Stupid will most likely be dropped. The rest of those songs have a VERY good chance at being in the setlist next year.
In hiding since 2010
minnick27
Off The Deep End

The Setlist 2010

Post by minnick27 »

I think DTBS was brought in solely because he had the great intro with the clip from TF
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

Driew_La_27 wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote: Hmmm...this year was my first Al show, but I thought he kept Dare to Be Stupid in the set every tour, along with some of the 'bigger' songs like Amish Paradise, Smells Like Nirvana, Fat and Yoda. Then again, I was just assuming it.
Dare to Be Stupid will most likely be dropped. The rest of those songs have a VERY good chance at being in the setlist next year.
I figured those 4 would likely be kept. I read an interview where he said if certain songs were dropped, fans would likely riot. :lol:

I'm just glad he did that and Let Me Be Your Hog this tour.
richegreen
Regular

Post by richegreen »

I remember when they first dropped Like A Surgeon from the setlist for the 2002 tour (the story I heard was that if Ruben had to put on the cone bra one more time, he was quitting the band) and the fans were all shocked at first, but they got over it. The only song we can pretty much guarantee will never get dropped is Fat, at least until the Fat suit falls apart. Al said he would always do that song, because it's the one song that the 3 year olds who get dragged to the concert always enjoy and remember.
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Well, the setlist is now on the official site. Could this spell the end for the alternating originals?
Wizzerkat
Off The Deep End

Post by Wizzerkat »

I wondered whether those alternating originals were only in there because there was no "new" album to promote. I think the new album will give enough new material so these songs might not be in next time. That being said, I loved that addition and DO wish he would keep that going.
Is my dude a dweeb?
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

I think Al is officially keeping rotating spots in the set. This may not mean that the four originals are staying in the set list, but I think it does mean there will still be two rotating spots next year.

The rotating spots keep the shows fresh. I don't know what else Al would put in those spots now, but we'll see if it really does change.
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

How does the published setlist in any way "spell the end" for alternating songs?
Last edited by TMBJon on Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.