7/24/10 Boca Raton, FL Center for the Arts at Mizner Park

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: 7/24/10 Boca Raton, FL Center for the Arts at Mizner Par

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I really do think Al would have a fan mutiny on his hands if he took "Fat" and "Eat It" out of the setlist. When the music for "Eat it" started up during the medley, the guy next to me said "Yes! Hell yes!" and I think he even pumped his fist a little. He was there with his son, maybe four years old, who spent the whole show dancing and running around in circles on the grass between the stage and the first row of seats. Note to concerned parents: the little boy was wearing ear-protection headphones. Gotta love it when parents start their children's Al education early. It was fun to watch the little guy enjoying himself so much. The whole thing was fun. It always is.

I was extremely pleased, of course, that there was a meet & greet. One of the security guys said,"Are you happy now?" and I said, "We were happy BEFORE, but we're happier now." I didn't want to have anything signed, but I was able to say thank you to Al and give him a couple of really tacky little souvenirs of Florida, so he didn't have to buy them. It's all part of the service, and the least a fan can do. I really want to emphasize how above-and-beyond generous Al was, to come out that night. When the house lights came up after the show, Nancy and I made a desperate dash for the frozen lemonade stand. We were feeling pretty thoroughly wrung out, and we were the ones who'd been sitting down, dressed for comfort, not the ones bouncing around dressed in pleather, or yellow vinyl, or Jedi robes. Al must have felt like crap, at least until he got himself re-electrolyted. Not that you could tell that Al and the rest of the guys were uncomfortable DURING the show, although they certainly must have been. Al was just as much "on" and focused and energetic as ever. What amazing performers he and the band are.

edited to add: One of my favorite bits was right before YDLMA, when Al grabbed the mic and yelled, "Are you ready to ROCK?" The crowd roared back their approval of this program, of course, and Al said, "I was afraid of that. Because the next song is a ballad. So if you could time-shift that willingness into a later portion of the evening..."

Also: Just wanted to say that Anna and I had seats in the very front row, and Jeremy's was a couple of rows back. Yeah, I could have given up my front-row seat, but I haven't achieved those kinds of levels of spiritual perfection on the path of renunciation, and frankly I may never manage it when it comes to Weird Al shows. Sorry, Jeremy.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Yeah, Boca Raton was by far the best show...Wish we could have been together at the show, I wasn't a couple rows back...I was 7 steps over and 1 back, but I'll continue to say that after-show experience with Anna was worth a whole tour's...

That extra special surprise I talked about was the envelope story. That was so unbelievable at the time, it was hard to keep taking pictures...although, I'm extremely glad that I did. I love all of the ones that we took. So glad that Al enjoyed the Skipper Al doll...You all can see by that look on his face...Anna really spent time on her gifts to Al. Al was so sweet with his exchange...It was really cool, too, because Anna and I were the only ones back with Al for the meet...so we got to spend awhile each with him on our own time...

Anyway...that was such a great way to end our trip together with Al.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Anna, great pics, and what a cute story about the envelope! That's so cool that he remembered!! I wanna see a better picture of the Skipper Al doll. Please say you took some before you gave it to Al. I LOVE the picture of him listening to the doll. He's just too cute!!

Helen, nice review. Ok, what were the tacky, touristy gifts you gave to Al??
I must know! LOL!
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

algonacchick wrote: Helen, nice review. Ok, what were the tacky, touristy gifts you gave to Al??
I must know! LOL!
A plastic, or vinyl, or rubber alligator pencil-decoration from Gator Bob's Trading Post in St. Augustine (I transferred the gator to a Sharpie before I gave it to Al) and a squished Bart Simpson penny from Universal Studios in Orlando. I figured, at least they won't take up much space on the bus. :D
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Very nice article on the "Polka Raton" show: http://www.pbpulse.com/music/concert-re ... at-mizner/ I talked to the photographer for a minute or two, but there's no doubt that the kid with the sign was cuter.

And another nice article. http://blogs.browardpalmbeach.com/count ... uly_24.php
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Wow that second one was really a great review!
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
MarlinsGirl
Obsessed
Awards: Best Fan Artist (PhotoShopped Material)-WOWAY Awards 4.0

Post by MarlinsGirl »

the second review was good. the photo they used is mine. http://www.flickr.com/photos/california ... 827348594/

Terri M.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

MarlinsGirl wrote:the second review was good. the photo they used is mine. http://www.flickr.com/photos/california ... 827348594/

Terri M.
Yup, that's yours. It's a great photo.
annacanada
Occasional

Post by annacanada »

Nice reviews!! And haha! I was trying to figure out what you gave to Al..that's funny!
You can use your ESP to learn to play guitar!
ARE YOU READY TO POLKA?!?!