7/24/10 Boca Raton, FL Center for the Arts at Mizner Park

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: 7/24/10 Boca Raton, FL Center for the Arts at Mizner Par

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Mos Eisleian Radio wrote:My friend e-mailed a question regarding our presale tickets and received the following response: "We do not receive the tickets until about three weeks before the concert and at that time we do the seating. You should have tickets in hand about 7 to 10 days before the concert."
Phil
Well, at least that gives you the time window for when to send your bribes. :P
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Got my ticket from TicketMaster in the mail today.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

This was an outdoor show, hot & humid but no rain. Coming into the venue, we noticed that people were setting up lawn chairs on the street median just outside the venue gate... apparently they were all set to enjoy the concert on an audio-only basis.
(to be cont'd)
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Got into Boca Raton around 3:30. There was some to do at Mizner Park, but it was Anna's last day with me...so we just decided to wait by the tour bus to see what we could see and talk. Got to see all the band members, as they got on and off the bus...along with Al. Anna got to meet Wayne The Bus Driver. She's fans of another band that he drives for. We all took pictures together...even Wayne took one with his iPhone to send to the band. Got to talk to Steve before the show. As we were walking back from the bus, we met a really nice couple from GA. Talked to them for awhile, and shared some touring stories. Then, we went to wait for the gates.

They opened the gates at 7, and security was being pretty strict to other people...I saw the security guy pat down a few guys in the right line. So, I went in the left and didn't have any trouble with security at all. They were allowing pictures with no flash, however, no professional cameras. Which unfortunately, my friend that we had met tried to take in...but, just like Orlando, they wouldn't allow him to. I did get in a can of soda in my friendly security line, so I avoided their outrageous prices. So, Ha!

Once in, Anna and I went to find our seats. They had the numbering mixed up, so it switched the seating around...although, Anna had 16, so with the row of 30...it was still around the same spot. Actually, one seat closer to Al. She went and exchanged a Craiglist shirt that she had bought with the old tour dates for a new 2010 Tour Shirt. Also, bought a 'bob to eat, since we had basically only had breakfast at Denny's before leaving Melbourne. I sat with her until Helen came for my seat, since her and Dave had bought tickets together. Anna got the seats that I bought from Dave, since 2 shows were front row and Mom had an aisle seat in the 8th row that Anna had bought. Nancy had upgraded Helen's ticket for Melbourne, so that show was really great because she didn't take her regular seat and Anna and I got to sit together. I asked Helen if she might not mind trading with me, as my seat was just a couple seats over. However, she would not go for that, as she had to have her seat. Would have been nice to sit with Anna at our last show together on this tour...but, oh well. Whatever...The CD was the Alternate 1, and it played until the concert began around 8:15...

The alternating songs in the show was Franks and You Don't Love Me Anymore. There were a couple flubs here and there...but, you're always going to have them. Unfortunately, Anna didn't get a dance or anything during Lovr. I was hoping she would being in the front and all...however, Al concentrated on just the center aisle. For the introduction of Let Me Be Your Hog, Al told us the "meaning" behind the song. Then, he decided to play it for us...just so we'd get it, of how the guy had the insatiable lust to be someone's hog. There was a character in the stormtroopers that I hadn't seen before, so that was interesting. Also, the confetti cannons did not go off at the end of the show for some reason. I told Anna that meant that the show wasn't over, and she could stay a few more days. I could wish anyway...

So after the concert, we made our way back over to the bus. While waiting, we talked to Wayne again. He explained to us that he hadn't got a call yet on what was going on after the show...said that they'll usually tell him whether there's a meet or if they want to speed out. He also told us about his day at Ft. Lauderdale, and shared some pictures from different cities with us. We got to see Steve, and Anna got a CD autographer for her brother, a picture autographed for her, got a White & Nerdy posed picture, and we bought a few CDs for her brother, and I got one that I think I already had...but wasn't sure. I was glad that Steve actually let us give him a little something for them...the guy absolutely deserves it! Ruben didn't come over to sell his CDs...not sure why. While we were with Steve, Al came out and said that he would be back out in 2 minutes to sign. Anna was so happy about that, since it was her last show...this was definitely an unforgettable meet.

I didn't really need anything signed, so I just had Anna take my picture with Al. Really good shot. Then, I took over the camera...and per Anna's orders...took as many pictures as humanly possible. Anna got to give Al the Skipper Al doll that she had made from a Skipper Minnie that we bought at Disney World together. She took out its eyebrows, which made it a Mickie...put Al hair on it, made a Disney World--Skipper Al nametag for it, and got a voice recorder at Build-A-Bear in Orlando, and recorded a 10 second snippet of Skipper Dan...so that when you squeezed it, it played the song..."I'm a Tour Guide on the Jungle Cruise ride...Skipper Dan is the name" She got her shirt signed, along with the picture of Al on her during Wanna B Ur Lovr in St. Charles. She got an Al-hug, such a sweet posed photo, and Al even gave her an extra special surprise...which I don't think I have permission to tell about...if she wants to, she'll let ya know... ^_^

This was such an awesome after-show and day...I just wish it didn't have to be the end of our trip together. Anna's on a plane now flying back to Alabama... :(W ...but, I think it's safe to say that I now have a tourchasing girl forever... :whoot: ...and that's the best part!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Jeremy, thanks for the review. Looks like you found a nice friend who shares your zeal for Al and tourchasing. That's great! Can't wait to hear from Anna. Also curious to see pics. Love the idea of the Skipper Al doll. How clever! I wanna see a picture of that as well. It's so nice to read all these reviews, especially since Meadowbrook was my only show this tour. I'd love to see Al and the guys again, but they're not coming back to Michigan. Ah, well.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
MarlinsGirl
Obsessed
Awards: Best Fan Artist (PhotoShopped Material)-WOWAY Awards 4.0

Post by MarlinsGirl »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/california ... 453817001/ <--pics from the Weird Al Boca concert

Went to the concert last night. Al rocked Boca Raton, I had a great seat could see Al and the band. I took pictures, but with no flash the majority of them came out blurred. The pics on my Flickr set are the best of the bunch.

The best part about last night was meeting Al again.

Terri M.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Nice to hear from you, Terri! So glad you got to see Al in concert and meet him afterwards. Nice pics! I need to get a nice printout of one of my pics with Al for him to sign one of these days. I've always though that was a cool idea.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Alinite27 wrote:Al even gave her an extra special surprise...which I don't think I have permission to tell about...if she wants to, she'll let ya know...
Out with it, Anna.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
MarlinsGirl
Obsessed
Awards: Best Fan Artist (PhotoShopped Material)-WOWAY Awards 4.0

Post by MarlinsGirl »

Alinite27 wrote:There was a character in the stormtroopers that I hadn't seen before, so that was interesting.
would that be the bounty hunter Bossk in The Empire Strikes Back

Terri M.
annacanada
Occasional

Post by annacanada »

Yeah, this was a GREAT past week! I got to see 3 more Al shows! By far the Boca Raton was the best! I finally got to meet Wayne, so that was pretty cool..here are some pics.
Steve!!!
(thank goodness Jeremy snapped a billion pictures! these are my favorites!)
Al listening to the skipper dan doll...:) I think he liked it
Al smiling :) sooo cute!
Our posed picture!!
Haha this one has a funny story: I gave Al an envelope a few weeks ago and it had pictures of all the different shirts I made him and I included another envelope that I wanted him to give back to me..I told him I didn't care what he did with it...i jokingly said "just touch it a bunch"
Well anyways, after talking with Al for a little while, he pulled the envelope out from under his shirt and was like "you wanted this back right? i touched it a bunch!!" haha...it really caught me off guard because I forgot all about it and I didn't even think he knew who I was. It was just an awesome way to end my Al trip :) Here's a photo of him explaining that he carried the envelope "wherever he went" XD haha

GREAT trip!! I cannot wait to tourchase Al again!!
You can use your ESP to learn to play guitar!
ARE YOU READY TO POLKA?!?!