[Tour with no name] Airports and hotels???

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

The first day of the tour is fun too... or as Al calls it, "dress rehearsal."

But if you want to see a polished show, avoid the first day as they're still working out a lot of the kinks. I would think by the end of the first week of touring, the shows are pretty polished.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Tour airports + hotels

Post by Phillipemoz »

If you want to come to the busiest airport in the world, go to O'Hare in Chicago. I'm not sure but it might be cheaper. Also if you have time you can take the train out to Downers Grove, where Al's friend Emo Phillips came from (not sure if he is still living here, although when he showed his Royalty check for UHF on Behind the Music it had his address on it and it said Downers Grove [it even had his street address, they didn't blur it out].

My first and only Al concert was when he played at Navy Pier in Chicago, a great concert in a great city, second to none.

Be aware of extra security measures at Airports, you have to get there early and you might get searched.
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

QUOTE New York is actually within like, 2-4 hours driving distance from Michigan.

Are you sure? It seems like you would have to be driving pretty fast to get from New York City to Michagan in 2-4 hours. From looking at my globe it looks like you have to drive the length of Pennsylvania and over half way through Ohio just to get to the state line, and from guesstimating how long I know it takes to drive through Illinois and comparing that length with the distance from NYC to Michigan (I know, a very inexact science) . . . well it just seems that you'd have to be driving like a maniac to get there in under 4 hours.

But I'm just speculating- tell me if I'm wrong.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I agree.I know when I went from Philly out to Punxsatawny for the groundhog (never ever ever do tat btw) it took us about3 hours with traffic, so Im gonna say just to drive across Pa takes about that, i know Pittsburgh is another 45 minutes, so it seems right. According to Yahoo, NYC to Detroit is 9 hours 25 minutes, but I always shave a half hour off the at lest.

Mike
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

QUOTE QUOTE New York is actually within like, 2-4 hours driving distance from Michigan.

Are you sure? It seems like you would have to be driving pretty fast to get from New York City to Michagan in 2-4 hours.

You would, but the concert in NY is no where near NYC. It's kind of close to Buffalo. And Buffalo is a good full day's drive from NYC. If you cut through Canada, Detroit is only about a 4 1/2 hour drive from Buffalo. I'm not sure how far the MI shows are from Detroit, but cutting through Canada would be the fastest way.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
sarley27
Off The Deep End

Post by sarley27 »

He always does a show in Cleveland I believe, it's the polka capital of the world! He did two full shows last tour, and then you could visit the rock and roll hall of fame and the magical syrup farms and the polka enthusiasts... wait a minute that's not in Cleveland. Oh Well. Plus there's a lot of dicount used record cd stores where you can find Al stuff, plus UHF DVD is at every store I know. Target and HMV Records have it dirt cheap... less than 9 bucks. Cleveland is a good show. Yeah, I hope he has his birthday show in Ohio.. or Halloween.
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

QUOTE QUOTE New York is actually within like, 2-4 hours driving distance from Michigan.

Are you sure? It seems like you would have to be driving pretty fast to get from New York City to Michagan in 2-4 hours.

Well from my experience, I remember on roadtrips to Michigan from Massachusetts were about 16 hours long. We would drive from 7 A.M till 9 P.M (Including bathroom breaks...) and Buffalo was usually where we stopped for the night. We would get up at 8 A.M and drive till about Noon or so arriving near Alma,MI.(1 hour from Grand Rapids.) Alma was pretty much in the ceter of lower Michigan, so it took us about 4 hours total. Sometimes more, but usually about 4.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

We're talking about how long of a drive it is between the Michigan show and the New York show, right?

Going approximately 70 miles an hour...

It's a shade over 4 hours from Traverse City to Toledo

an hour and a half from Toledo to Cleveland

about an hour from Cleveland to Erie

and about another hour and a half from Erie to the Niagara Falls area