Artisits/Band you would like to have as Al's opening act

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

For a real "Dare To Be Stupid" idea, how about demented little groups of fans singing a capella arrangements of Al tunes while waiting in line to get into the venues?

That happens more than you might imagine. It's almost guaranteed to happen at each concert. Sometimes in line, sometimes, while seated waiting for the show to start, and even after the show, while fans wait by the stage door to see if Al will come out to sign autographs.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Missing Persons wasnt resposible for their fnas acting up. THEY chose Al to be up there becuase they liked him and thought he would be a good opening act. The band isnt responsible nor nesesscarily approve of the fans behavior.

Did Missing Person's choose Al, or was it the radio station that was promoting the concert that chose Al? I thought it was the radio station that booked Al.

But, yes, you're right, Missing Person's shouldn't be blamed for their fan's behavior. For all we know, the members of Missing Persons were backstage laughing their butts off while listening to their opening act.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
ninjarap

Missing persons

Post by ninjarap »

Of course they were responsible for their fan's behavior- originally the audience loved al, but then when missing persons came on they sucked by comparison, and got booed by their own fans. so they traveled back in time and sent telepathic messages to their fans to boo al and to cheer them. :P
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

...how about demented little groups of fans singing a capella arrangements of Al tunes while waiting in line to get into the venues?
That happens more than you might imagine. It's almost guaranteed to happen at each concert. Sometimes in line, sometimes, while seated waiting for the show to start, and even after the show, while fans wait by the stage door to see if Al will come out to sign autographs.

Dave
It's nice to have any song that you write played in an elevator. It's not as good a feeling, though, as walking down the street and hearing somebody sing a song of yours. That, I think, is the best feeling for a songwriter.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Re: Missing persons

Post by Ratbert197 »

Of course they were responsible for their fan's behavior- originally the audience loved al, but then when missing persons came on they sucked by comparison, and got booed by their own fans. so they traveled back in time and sent telepathic messages to their fans to boo al and to cheer them. :P

Well when you put it like that, it makes so much sense ;)
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Re: Missing persons

Post by scottidog »

they sucked by comparison, and got booed by their own fans. so they traveled back in time and sent telepathic messages to their fans to boo al and to cheer them.

Ah, the old Bogus Journey theory. Works for me... 8)
catanddogdoctor
Die-hard Fan

Re: Artisits/Band you would like to have as Al's opening act

Post by catanddogdoctor »

[quote="Elvis"]

<Missing Romeo!! (okay, let's see who on this forum gets that reference...)>

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was the longest 20 minutes of my life :(

Maria
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Post by Phillipemoz »

Ratbert wrote:

Missing Persons wasnt resposible for their fnas acting up. ... The band isnt responsible nor nesesscarily approve of the fans behavior.[/quote]

You are right. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that post, just trying to be funny. I just thought it would be ironic if Missing Persons opened for Al and they got booed this time. But that's not in the nature of Al fans, and not very nice. I meant no disrespect to Missing Persons or their fans (unless you were one of the people at the concert throwing things). I really don't know anything about their music anyway, besides the fact that Al opened for them. I know the concert organizers or somebody said they had a sense of humor and that is why they suggested weird al might be a good opening act.

Al wasn't nearly as polished a musician back then and not that popular outside of Dr. Demento fans. I'm sure if he had the skills and repetoire back then that he has today, he probably wouldn't have gotten booed nearly as badly if at all. Maybe if Missing Persons are fans of Al's now, or feel bad about what happened, they would tell the audience to throw things at them as a joke(no sharp objects please) but that still wouldn't be very nice and some of their fans might retaliate and start throwing things at Al, and we don't want that. Maybe Al would laugh if one twinkie was thrown at him (with a tofu hot dog inside?), but any more would be disruptive to the genius at work.
Phillipemoz
Occasional

Any Missing Persons fans here?

Post by Phillipemoz »

By the way, is anyone here familiar with Missing Persons music? used to be a fan/current fan? (I don't know if they are still together and making music. Probably I should look that up) Maybe you were even there at the concert, either as an al fan or missing persons fan or both. If you were throwing things at that concert, and now are paying your penance as an Al fan. (I know few people would admit to this)

To be serious for once, I think Al should tour with lesser known parody artists, alot of them on the Dr. Demento show. One I like is Sudden Death, they do alot of rap humor. There are tons of groups, and it would be nice if Al gave them some exposure. Also comedians and comedy groups, as long as they're clean. I heard a hilarious skit/song by

The Frantics, "boot to the head." Don't know what they are doing now, but groups like these would be funny. There could be a different one at each concert. A weird al tribute band could sing some songs from the Prosthetic lips and Me, myself, and I albums. (it would be pointless and redundent to do weird al covers if weird al is going to sing the same songs later)

Of course if its just Al, that will be fine with me, but if he could get some similar artists that would be great.

And how could I forget Emo Phillips? I'm sure Al would be happy to let emo open for him. Especially if he does it at the Chicago concert, which is emo's birthplace. (and then when he was 12, his parents moved to downers grove. A year or so later, he found them.)
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well its a good idea, but as was pointed out before any musical comedy group would be compared to Al. And I like the idea of each venue providing an opening act, that way you could get a variety of acts. Though I would love to see Emo open a show or two, he is awesome!

Mike