10/17/07 - Rio Rancho, NM Santa Ana Star Center

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Did Al play the accordion during Smoke on the Water?
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
Braider
Occasional

Post by Braider »

No but he did some really cool dancing. He sort of spread his legs out really wide and went back and forth from side to side in time to the music (when he wasn't singing). It was of course a GREAT rendition of the song. ALL the songs were really great.

I kept thinking, "There is no way they are going to play this whole thing!" like on Last Train to Clarksville, but they did! Every time! Well, some of the songs were slightly shortened, no long lead breaks for instance, but for the most part they did the entire thing.

One thing I forgot to mention, every single time Al came out for an encore song he was wearing a different shirt! I got pictures of 4 of them. I didn't get the one he wore for the Cell Phone song. They were all Hawaiian in nature. As if you guys couldn't guess that. :)
The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it. - Bill Nye
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

Wow! That sounds so awesome! And a different shirt?! Al really went all out for this show. Hey Al? You wanna do something special for the Greek show, since its the last? Please Al? PLEASE?!
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
Braider
Occasional

Post by Braider »

weirdalisthephantomoftheopera @ Oct 20 2007, 01:56 AM wrote: Wow! That sounds so awesome! And a different shirt?! Al really went all out for this show. Hey Al? You wanna do something special for the Greek show, since its the last? Please Al? PLEASE?!
I'm sure he will. ;) And even if he doesn't, the regular show is so awesome you will be thrilled.

You could tell he was having fun messing with our heads. Each time he came out you could see he was having a harder time hiding a big laugh. The last few times he came out he really had a big grin on his face. I have to say it was a pretty darn funny joke - every time I think about it I laugh. Best of all this is a joke everybody can get. I had my neighbor rolling on the floor with the story.
The more you find out about the world, the more opportunities there are to laugh at it. - Bill Nye
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Sounds like a great concert.

I've heard Last Train to Clarksville, China Grove, Smoke On The Water, and the regular Sweet Home Alabama at sound checks on this tour. It would have been cool to hear Albuquerque take the place of Alabama, though. I can say, too, that they make each cover sound 'perfectly' of the original. The sound checks I've been too, I'll never forget for all the different covers I've heard.

Really wish I could've made this one. At one point, we were contemplating a flight out for Phoenix and Albuquerque, but decided against it. Definitely would've been something nice to see.
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

Yeah Jeremy...I think next time we "talk" about something, we should just say to hell with it it and do it anyway. I can't say I'm shocked he did an extended encore...in fact, I KNEW he was going to, after that first Albuquerque show during Touring With Scissors, which is why I wanted to go to this show.

Why couldn't Albuquerque be closer to Minnesota! Anybody gonna Youtube any of this? ;(
2018 Tour: Rochester, Minneapolis, Fargo, Clear Lake, and Green Bay...so far...
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

Definitely agree with you, Jared. Don't know why we passed this up.

Can someone fill in about the Rio Rancho song. What exactly was it?
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

I don't remember all of it...but it had to do with "There's only one place where you can go, to get a pizza pie or a banjo. RIO RANCHO!!!" then the Rio Rancho part kept repeating, after that Al went to get a drink of water, then it went right into the Albuquerque music, then Al went ahead and sang Albuquerque. Or something like that - sadly, my memory's not working right... :huh:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
M_Robertcop
Addicted

Post by M_Robertcop »

From now on I'm not missing an Albuquerque show, or the last of the tour ever again.
You're gonna take a walk in the rain and you're gonna get wet... I predict.
Braider
Occasional

Post by Braider »

Well, WAKKA WAKKA DOO DOO YEAH! has it pretty close.

There were a few more words, but really it was just two lines, the music was slow, then all of a sudden it got really fast and the words were just "Rio Ranch Rio Rancho Rio Rancho" very fast together to the end.

I talked to some people who had been standing in front of the building for quite a while, and they heard Al working on the song that afternoon. They said they could hear him asking about words rhyming with Rio Rancho and practicing some music, so this was just something he came up with that afternoon.

Also, I had the order wrong, he came out and asked if we wanted to hear a song about where we were RIGHT NOW, and that is when he played Rio Rancho - then when he came out again, he asked if we wanted to hear the song they wrote about Albuquerque, and they did Sweet Home Albuquerque, and then broke into the _REAL_ Albuquerque.

Silly guys.....