Tour Speculation:

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

On 2001-12-07 02:32, Cartunedude wrote:
And oh yeah, one crazy idea I thought of shortly after becoming an Al fan; While Christmas caroling with my 7th grade class, and in a hot chocolate-induced state, I thought it would be "cool" if Al did a Christmas polka medley. Oh, the things you think of when you're 12 years old and full of chocolate...

Scotti Bros. wanted Al to do an entire Christmas album after "Eat It" became a hit. So, what was *their* excuse? :smile:
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

Actually I like CAGZ because (1) it's a dead-on satire of 'chipper, cheery, bells ringing' secular Christmas songs and (2) for those of us in school at the height of the Cold War [this includes Al] the lyrics reflect very accurately the H-bomb hysteria and 'the Commies are coming' paranoia of the era. I recall vividly having to know the location of the fallout shelter areas at school just as we had to know the fire escape protocols.

I would be uncomfortable with CAGZ on this tour-too close to 9-11-but maybe on a later tour it could make a comeback.

Cheers, Diva

who can't resist a line like 'but if someone's climbing down your chimney, you'd better load your gun and shoot to kill', especially with the sleighbells in the background
JKaudio
Occasional

Post by JKaudio »

:xmas:

I will defend C@GZ to the DEATH! That song was awesome! "We can dodge debris while we trim the tree underneath a mushroom cloud." C'mon, it's so absurd! Plus the rhyme and meter are RIGHT ON THE MARK! It flows just like a Christmas carol (maybe better!?) Now don't think that I am unsensitive to the events of last year. I agree that the nation may need a little more time to recoop before they are ready to accept that kind of humor. My point of view is simply that I loved that song for YEARS and YEARS before 9-11! So now I'm not supposed to like it? I'm sure that if a relative died from lung cancer it might take me a while to re-accept "Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung", but it doesn't mean that a once funny song is now unfunny... you just have to be in the appropriate state of mind for it.

-Jeremy
WeirdAlFanatic27
Addicted

Post by WeirdAlFanatic27 »

I sure hope Al leaves Melanie in the lineup like at the OC fair that would Polka!!!! and i like that part where Al hacks his arm before OMM(IT SCARED THE HECK OUT OF ME!!!) but i still want Al to do Germs too!!!

~~**~~Princess Yankovic~~**~~
He became Francine back in 76' and then he joined that cult. I think his name is Mother Shibubu now.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I will defend C@GZ to the DEATH! That song was awesome! "We can dodge debris while we trim the tree underneath a mushroom cloud." C'mon, it's so absurd! Plus the rhyme and meter are RIGHT ON THE MARK! It flows just like a Christmas carol (maybe better!?) Now don't think that I am unsensitive to the events of last year. I agree that the nation may need a little more time to recoop before they are ready to accept that kind of humor. My point of view is simply that I loved that song for YEARS and YEARS before 9-11! So now I'm not supposed to like it? I'm sure that if a relative died from lung cancer it might take me a while to re-accept "Mr. Frump in the Iron Lung", but it doesn't mean that a once funny song is now unfunny... you just have to be in the appropriate state of mind for it.

I agree with you 100.27%. People have to understand that it's not the nuclear war that's funny, it's the irony that it's happening on Christmas. People don't see a joke when they hear one.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Scotti Bros. wanted Al to do an entire Christmas album after "Eat It" became a hit. So, what was *their* excuse? :smile:

I read in an interview with Al that they asked him for Christmas songs and he gave them CAGZ, he said they stopped asking after that. eheheheh

:choon:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I just did a search of the setlists.

Good Enough For Now has never been done in concert! Since it's now one of my favorites, I'm hoping he dusts that one off for the new tour. If he didn't want to do the whole thing, he could put it into a medly with Achy Breaky Song and/or Truck Driving Song. They all have that same country feel...
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I'll be very very happy if Dog Eat Dog is on the next tour. I loved it at OC!

-CindyBob

:stupid:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I'll be very very happy if Dog Eat Dog is on the next tour. I loved it at OC!

-CindyBob
:stupid:

I certainly don't know what goes into making up the setlists, but if I had to guess, I would say that if Al dusted off the Big White Suit for OC it stands a good chance of making the cut. I hope so. DED is one of my faves.
stupidsurgeon27
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by stupidsurgeon27 »

I certainly don't know what goes into making up the setlists, but if I had to guess, I would say that if Al dusted off the Big White Suit for OC it stands a good chance of making the cut. I hope so. DED is one of my faves.

Especially after the great reactions from the people who saw it. Every Al fan I know said they loved Dog Eat Dog with seeing it live.

Also for the people who couldn't go to OC and must see it to understand what all the fuzzie is about for it. :D

-CindyBob