Question for those who have seen the show (not a spoiler q)

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Pattimash
Occasional

Question for those who have seen the show (not a spoiler q)

Post by Pattimash »

Was everyone at the concert on their feet, or were they all lame and sitting down like at my last venue for the RWS tour? Man, everyone was sitting for almost the WHOLE show until a few of us stood up and started dancing (annoying the people in the rows behind us--we were in front) and then the people on the other side of the stage (we were stage right) did the same. That didn't occur until late in the show. Some people in the immediate rows behind us, probably out of sheer anger, got on their feet too. The concert I went to before that was totally different in that EVERYONE was up on their feet and dancing for the entire time. I was just wondering what to expect this time around.

thanks!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

The SLO crowd was mostly sitting down, although pretty animated (waving arms, "Fat" bounces, etc). I don't think we were all lame, although somebody mentioned that Al seemed to be limping afterward. :huh:

It probably has a lot to do with what the people in the very front row do. And if Elvis is sitting down, who are we to argue with that?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I never argue with the Big Boys.
Katoot
Occasional

Post by Katoot »

At the concert I was just at, we were standing on the benches...I guess that's what happens in festival seating (i.e. general admission).
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

Personally, I prefer to remain seated out of respect for the folks behind me. I can (and do) show enthusiasm without creating a problem for other fans.

There was a couple (rather drunk) near me at Konocti who kept going to the front of the stage and were asked repeatedly by the security guard to

sit down and were closely watched during the whole show. (The man also kept rudely bellowing out requests for Al to play "Cat's in the Kettle :( )

After Fat and Yoda, standing ovations are fine, but I've never seen a show (out of the 20+ I've attended) where people stand at any other time.

sg
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

I agree with SG on this one.. I think fans can show their enthusiasm and participate without standing and blocking the view for other fans further back. I mean, isn't it enough that you've got the great front seats, now you want to block the view for those less fortunate behind you? You know what I mean.. The only time I've stood for a concert was last tour for the outdoor Cleveland show, and that's because we were front and center, and people started standing all around us and would have tried to cut in front of us (and we'd been there since afternoon staking out that spot). Though we did let a couple little kids stand at the fence with us..

-Shelley
Katoot
Occasional

Post by Katoot »

Well, I probably would have been sitting...but then I wouldn't have been able to see the concert, because of the people standing in front of me. :huh:
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

Sometimes a standing ovation is very much like the wave at a baseball game. It just sort of "lifts" you up as it goes down each row.

It all depends on the crowd. You can sometimes sense when it's going to be an audience on its feet or not.

I'm always willing to join in. The one exception was, as I believe others have also said, when I had front row seats. My reasoning is just it's hard to tell when the people behind you are going to sit back down without constantly looking behind you. So if you're going to stand your options are looking like you have a nervous neck twitch or being the one idiot still standing and blocking everyone's view.
likeasurgeon

Post by likeasurgeon »

On the last tour I remember people not standing at the Santa Cruz concert but people standing at the Santa Clara concert (everone in the front row I believe except the two idiots next to me- my brother and fiance who givin stephen a whole lot of crap the whole time- that is a story for another time though- in a funny way not mean) THat is what I remember though!
kidcid
Obsessed

Re: Question for those who have seen the show (not a spoiler

Post by kidcid »

Was everyone at the concert on their feet, or were they all lame and sitting down like at my last venue for the RWS tour? Man, everyone was sitting for almost the WHOLE show until a few of us stood up and started dancing (annoying the people in the rows behind us--we were in front) and then the people on the other side of the stage (we were stage right) did the same. That didn't occur until late in the show. Some people in the immediate rows behind us, probably out of sheer anger, got on their feet too. The concert I went to before that was totally different in that EVERYONE was up on their feet and dancing for the entire time. I was just wondering what to expect this time around.

thanks!
The first 3 shows everyone was sitting. I have never seen an Al show where people stood. I wish they would because I love to dance at concerts. I tried one time at the Orange county Fair during RWS and I got pelted with french Fries (How Rude)

cid