Costume Changes

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Costume Changes

Post by TMBJon »

This is the topic to discuss the way the costume changes happen, the very nitty gritty of the concert experience.

This is a continuation of a conversation from page 9 of the Drooling Over Al topic.

I asked what costumes are shared between songs, such as the jeans from couch potato being shared by the jeans in SLN.

ok, conversation... commence.

-jon

[MOD Edit to provide link]
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Cut 'n paste from my post in the Drool Topic:

So does that mean after Couch Potato, he throws off the sweats and performs AWBP wearing a pair of jeans plus a black shirt and hawaiian shirt?
-jon

Yes, he comes out for Couch Potato wearing the much-too-baggy-jeans, a maroon colored hooded sweatshirt over black tshirt. There is a big darker denim jacket over all of it (on Kilborn the outer jacket looked black, but it's really dark blue denim.)

I believe that he does the quick change on stage. I think the lights dimmed momentarily and someone came out with the hawaiian shirt which she handed to Al and took the denim jacket and hooded sweatshirt off stage with her. All this was done while Al was standing by the drums. Then he picked up his axe and we were Angry White Boy Polka-ing.

Perhaps we could also discuss the details/descriptions of how the costumes actually look here as well.
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

Perhaps we could also discuss the details/descriptions of how the costumes actually look here as well.
Sounds Good.

It looks to me like he has All new costumes. The colors in the Omm jacket and Fat costume all look new. I love the white polyester suit for WBUL...but I would have gone a bit further with a really loud shirt unbuttoned with a bunch of gawdy chains. Totally 70's dork. But what he has is good. I just wanted a little more cheese on it. Cheese is good! I love his movements during this song!!! I had never seen a Nelly video so Kevin had to explain the white bandaid to me. I assume these costumes are close to Nelly's. they look cool and made me want to challeneg them to a game of one on one B-ball Heehee.

Cid
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I assume these costumes are close to Nelly's. they look cool and made me want to challeneg them to a game of one on one B-ball Heehee.
Cid

They are in fact from Nelly's own clothing line. Although I couldn't find the specific outfit. Looking at my pictures, it seems TBITB also had some Vokal clothing too, but I don't remember it from that night. Al-haze induced amnesia...

And even though I had never seen the OMM jacket live before, it did seem to me that the animal print part of it was different from what I remember from WAY Live. If they aren't new, they have been well cared for.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

Going through my pics, it looks like TBITB had on Vokal's too...

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

That was going to be my next question. Does the band (i refuse to use that acronym) wear anything during Couch Potato, WBUL, Dog Eat Dog, or any other new songs?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

That was going to be my next question. Does the band (i refuse to use that acronym) wear anything during Couch Potato, WBUL, Dog Eat Dog, or any other new songs?

What a question. :blush: Yes they wear something, although at times it's hard to be sure that Bermuda's wearing pants, of course.

Oh, you meant costumes. Aside from the Vokal stuff during Trash Day, and the hooded jacket I remember Jim wearing during Couch Potato, I can't think of any.
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

[quote="kidcid] I love the white polyester suit for WBUL...but I would have gone a bit further with a really loud shirt unbuttoned with a bunch of gawdy chains. Totally 70's dork. But what he has is good. I just wanted a little more cheese on it. Cheese is good! I love his movements during this song!!! [/quote]

Now darn it, you move this over to a new topic, and then say something this drool-worthy! I think that idea for a costume would have been really cool... especially if the shirt was unbuttoned to the waist. and.. ok ok, I'll behave!

Are you also saying that the SLN outfit was all new as well? How can you improve on that?? Same with the Pentiums shiny suit.. I bet they were happy to retire the fake animal pelts for BA, I'll miss that holy (Holy?) shirt for Germs.. Does he still use the red leather jacket for Eat It, and the pizza delivery getup for Free Delivery?

-Shelley
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

[quote="kidcid]
Are you also saying that the SLN outfit was all new as well? How can you improve on that?? Same with the Pentiums shiny suit.. I bet they were happy to retire the fake animal pelts for BA, I'll miss that holy (Holy?) shirt for Germs.. Does he still use the red leather jacket for Eat It, and the pizza delivery getup for Free Delivery?

-Shelley
I didn't notice the SLN, but The pentiums is new. The fabric looks lighter to me.

Sorry about making you drool. I got a mop and It's got your name on it.

Cid
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Does he still use the red leather jacket for Eat It, and the pizza delivery getup for Free Delivery?
I wondered about that, because Bermuda said that the sleeveless red vest Jim was wearing in the band photo was the Eat It jacket, and then Al has it on, re-sleeved. Maybe they butchered the old jacket and had a new one made? Al did say it was on its last legs. And it's not as though they haven't had time to get new costumes made. :stern:
I didn't notice the SLN, but The pentiums is new. The fabric looks lighter to me.
Not only is Al the hardest-working man in show business, he also wears the hardest-working silver lamé in show business.