Opening Acts

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

One opening act I saw (november 99 at the then-named E Center in Camden, NJ) was a black comedian who seemed to draw inspiration from chris rock's act (comparing black women to white women and such). he made a joke about how there's no black characters on the simpsons. now i like the simpsons, but im hardly an obcessive fan, i see an episode every six months or so maybe... well i thought of two black recurring characters right away... the doctor and that friend of homer's from the plant.

another opening act i saw (keswick theatre may 2000) was actually really funny. then a third opening act i saw (august 96 in allentown, pa) wasnt a comedian at all but actually a folk singer. that was my first show in 1996 and i was 10 and really excited and it was hot as can be in there. needless to say i couldnt wait for him to be done

anyway the point is, you may or may not like the opening act.

-jon
Katoot
Occasional

Post by Katoot »

QUOTE he made a joke about how there's no black characters on the simpsons. now i like the simpsons, but im hardly an obcessive fan, i see an episode every six months or so maybe... well i thought of two black recurring characters right away... the doctor and that friend of homer's from the plant.

He should have mentioned that there are no white characters on the simpsons, mainly yellow-skinned folks. Well, not counting Wendel, poor kid.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

One opening act I saw (november 99 at the then-named E Center in Camden, NJ) was a black comedian who seemed to draw inspiration from chris rock's act (comparing black women to white women and such).
Chris Rock is ten times more cerebral than that.
he made a joke about how there's no black characters on the simpsons.

I'm glad I wasn't there. I would have been standing up and arguing. :mad:
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

No opening act at San Luis Obispo. It was just Al and TBITB. :inlove:
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

he made a joke about how there's no black characters on the simpsons. now i like the simpsons, but im hardly an obcessive fan, i see an episode every six months or so maybe... well i thought of two black recurring characters right away... the doctor and that friend of homer's from the plant.

That would be Dr. Hibbert and Carl.

~Allison
Caroleg
Die-hard Fan

Post by Caroleg »

No opening act in Vegas either.

(Great show!)
Sophie832

Post by Sophie832 »

Just for rboy...my avatar is the Fantom of the Dome :biggrin: Thanks for the compliment! Go Gauchos!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

And to round out the first 4 shows, no opening act in Del Mar, and a VERY FUNNY comedian in Kelseyville. Did anyone catch his name?

Heads up to people who like to wait until the last minute to get to the venues. At the shows where there has been no opening comedian, the show has been starting pretty much exactly at the advertised time, so don't be late or you'll miss the show!! Or, worse, find some annoying person sitting in your seat! :mad:

Cheese food.

Dave
Stupidhippie
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Stupidhippie »

No opening act in Kazoo, MI either. However I must say I did get very lucky as far as a start time goes. The lucky number 27 was on my side. 27's were everywhere. The date, the age of my friend that went with me, the number of exposures on my disposable camera...I digress. Sorry. We were about a half an hour late. We got lost, no street signs on half the streets, actually went the wrong way down a one way street YIKES!!!! :nervous: We couldn't find any parking because the venue didn't offer parking. We had to find it ourselves around town. For a while it seemed like everything was against us seeing Al and the boys!! But the power of 27 was with us and we made it with minutes to spare before the gang took the stage and it was magnificent!!! I even got to meet Al and Steve after the show! Well actually Steve just signed an autograph for me before taking off on his bike but I got to hug Al :inlove: and give him the "PH Al" I made!!Let me repeat. NO OPENING ACT IN KALAMAZOO. I'm glad there was no opening act! It was ALL AL ALL the time!!

Stupidhippie

:stupid:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

His bike? Wow, that must take up quite a bit of his baggage allowance on the bus!