1987 Concerts

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

1987 Concerts

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

How did the 1987 concerts work? They were quite inconstant with the set list. Here are some examples:

Normal set:

Like A Surgeon
Drum Solo
I Lost On Jeopardy
Polka Party (Alternate mix)
costume change: Bruce Springsteen interview
Dare To Be Stupid
costume change
Yoda
costume change: Sky High / George Of The Jungle
Addicted To Spuds
One More Minute
costume change
Dog Eat Dog
Guitar Solo
Food Medley
Bass Solo
Hernia Rap
Living With A Hernia

Some shows are missing Dog Eat Dog
All the shows I have seen are missing Yoda (Was it even played?)
one show I found is like this:
Like A Surgeon
Drum Solo
costume change: Bruce Springsteen interview
Addicted To Spuds
Guitar Solo
Food Medley
Bass Solo
Hernia Rap
living With A Hernia

If anyone has seen it plz explain how the show works.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: 1987 Concerts

Post by Killingsworth »

I've seen very little footage from '87 turn up on YouTube (just Surgeon, Spuds, Hernia and the food medley) but I would at least assume Al puts on a suit jacket right after "Spuds" going into OMM. I have HEARD full length audio from an 87 where Al sang "Jeopardy" and then said "Okay, I know what you're all thinking...when is Al going to take off his pants?" I would assume he was wearing breakaway pants here which he tore off to reveal the lederhosen outfit from the Polka Party album cover. I'm still curious as to how the Surgeon/Jeopardy/Polka costume transition went down. He probably just changed during the drum solo for "Surgeon" depending on if he was wearing anything unDer the scrubs.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
richegreen
Regular

Re: 1987 Concerts

Post by richegreen »

That tour was opening for The Monkees, and as an opening act, Al didn't have as much control in how the concerts went. Some gigs gave them more time, others they were limited to 30 minutes, and also some shows took place both outdoors and during the day, where there weren't facilities for playing videos during costume changes. They adjusted the setlist accordingly.