Questions about OTDE tour

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

mybologna
Regular

Questions about OTDE tour

Post by mybologna »

I have a question for those of you who may have seen the "Off the Deep End" tour in 1992 and hopefully would remember such details:

How video-heavy was the show? I know this set list really began the modern "Al"-concert era but, judging off the set itself, it was still a transitioning point.
So I'll break down my questions using the set list itself:

Addicted To Spuds
Polka Your Eyes Out
One More Minute

Alright, based off of some clips from a VH1 special I know that Taco Grande had a costume, however were there video clips before it? If not, did he call for a bass/guitar/drum/keyboard solo?
Taco Grande
Same as above, were videos placed here, or solos? And if there were no videos, were Taco Grande and Lasagna done in a style similar to how it was done on the Alapalooza tour, where Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies and Lasagna were performed as a medley?
Lasagna
I'm assuming there was video clips here...
Like A Surgeon
Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies

How was this handled? Did he finish MFN/BH, call a solo, then go directly into DED? Or more videos?
Dog Eat Dog
I doubt there were videos here since the white-button up was probably worn underneath the David Byrne suit-jacket
You Don’t Love Me Anymore
probably a solo?
Food Medley: Theme From Rocky XIII, I Love Rocky Road, Chicken Pot Pie (Live And Let Die), The White Stuff, Snack All Night (Black Or White), Spam, My Bologna, Whole Lotta Lunch, Eat It
Jeopardy never had a costume change previously, did he just remove the Eat It jacket and dive right into it?
I Lost On Jeopardy
I Can’t Watch This
Living With A Hernia
Smells Like Nirvana
Fat
Yoda

I'm assuming everything else had a costume change, and also based off a video, the Hernia Rap was still used for 'Hernia', but videos were used before hand so the whole band could get into costumes.
Sorry for asking so many detailed questions! I know this was over 20 years ago but, sorry this isnt supposed to be discussed, theres no legged boot of this tour so...yeah :/

Thanks so much to anyone who can help!
~Brady
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Re: Questions about OTDE tour

Post by Killingsworth »

I haven't seen the tour myself, but my guess for the Money For Nothing/Dog Eat Dog transition would be that right after "look at that, look at that" a stage hand came out and grabbed Al's keytar and helped him rush back stage to get into the David Byrne suit while Jim sang the last two lines of MFN/BH and then the band went right into the same opening bars of "Girlfriend Is Better" that intro'd Dog Eat Dog on the Poodle Hat tour. I base this guest on footage I've seen of these songs on other tours, of course.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I don't remember what video clips were used, but there were definitely video clips and costume changes. I had no idea what to expect going in. I would have been happy had Al come out on stage, played a few songs, thanked us for coming, and told us to buy some merchandise on the way out. So when the show started and there were video clips and costume changes, my mind was blown and I was in an AIH for the rest of the show so my memory about the show is not the greatest.

Every band member had a solo. Bermuda's drum solo was during PYEO. Jim played some off key thing, probably "Mary Had A Little Lamb". Steve played a note with his teeth. And Ruben kept playing louder and louder and louder during the introduction to OMM while until Al was introducing the song. Al stopped him a few times and he kept getting louder, so Al shot him. Then Ruben remained dead on the floor for the rest of the song.

Addicted To Spuds - Had two giant dancing Mr. Potato Heads on stage
Polka Your Eyes Out
One More Minute - Al went into the audience despite it being standing room only. Most people flocked to Al, but we used the opportunity to move closer to the stage. Also there was a security guard with a red "AL" jacket that I was very jealous of, that followed Al into the audience.
Taco Grande - I think there was a costume, but I don't remember what. I believe a bandana was involved.
Lasagna
Like A Surgeon - Al in scrubs and there was a chainsaw.
Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies
Dog Eat Dog
You Don’t Love Me Anymore - Jim and Al on stools. It was very close to the video. A guitar was smashed.
Food Medley:
- Theme From Rocky XIII
- I Love Rocky Road
- Chicken Pot Pie - there was a rubber chicken
- The White Stuff
- Snack All Night
- Spam
- My Bologna
- Whole Lotta Lunch
- Eat It - Al left stage then came back on with the jacket and played keyboards
I Lost On Jeopardy - included video clip of Don Pardo
I Can’t Watch This - Al was wearing big shiny MC Hammer pants
Living With A Hernia - There was a long Hernia rap recited by Bermuda, then Al was dressed as James Brown in a blue sparkly suit. At one point someone came out dressed similarly and tried to put a robe on Al. Al threw him off like in the video.
Smells Like Nirvana - Full costumes for Al, Steve, and Bermuda. There was a mosh pit during the song.
Fat - included the Fat suit.
Yoda - included The Yoda Chant.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Good memory Dave! That security guard was awesome. Guy with the shades and pony tail right? 8)
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

The show I got a tape of from my uncle in 2010 was different here is the set with a description of each song. I don't know the date.
1. Addicted To Spuds: Al came out wearing a white shirt with a black tie.
2. Polka Your Eyes Out
3. Taco Grande: Al put on a blue bandanna.
4. Lasagna
Drum Solo
5. One More Minute: Al wore a black dress-shirt over the white shirt. Al went in to the audience.
random clips
6. Money For Nothing/Beverly Hillbillies: Al wore a black shirt with a brown jacket and headband.
random clips
Girlfriend Is Better solo
7. Dog Eat Dog: Al wore a over sized white suit.
Bruce Springsteen interview
8. You Don't Love Me Anymore: Al wore the same shirt from Addicted to spuds. Al and Jim sat on bar stools and Al smashed the guitar at the end.
random clips
9. Medley: Al wore a black t-shirt.
1. Theme From Rocky XIII
2. I Love Rocky Road
3. Chicken Pot Pie: Al had a rubber chicken
4. The White Stuff
5. Snack All Night
6. Spam
7. My Bologna
8. Whole Lotta Lunch
9. Eat It: Al wore a dark orange jacket.

random clips
10. I Lost On Jeopardy: Al Wore a brown suit.
Prince interview
11. I Can't Watch This: Al wore a white shiny jacket with baggy MC. Hammer pants
Hernia Rap
12. Living With A Hernia: Al wore a black wig and a shiny blue suit. A guy put a blanket on his back at the end.
Madonna interview
13. Like A Surgeon Al dressed like the video. In the middle of the song Al had a chainsaw.
random clips
14. Smells Like Nirvana: Al dressed as Kurt Cobain. Steve dressed as Krist and Jon dressed as Dave.
random clips
15. Fat: Al wore the fat suit from the video.
Encore:
16. Yoda: Al wore a blue Hawaiian shirt over a white shirt.
Last edited by YankoSwag 8888 on Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

This is very interesting. Do you have a full length video recording of a 1992 show, not just short snippets of each song? If so, you may have the only such video recording of that tour. At least I haven't heard of one aside from the Pleasure Island show.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

TMBJon wrote:This is very interesting. Do you have a full length video recording of a 1992 show, not just short snippets of each song? If so, you may have the only such video recording of that tour. At least I haven't heard of one aside from the Pleasure Island show.
I have the full show on a VHS tape that was converted in 1998 from what I know. I don't know the date of the show sadly. All the shows I got from him were weird and out of order.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

YankoSwag 8888 wrote:I have the full show on a VHS tape that was converted in 1998 from what I know. I don't know the date of the show sadly. All the shows I got from him were weird and out of order.
:think: Anyone else intrigued by this?? Paging Dr. Elvis...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

TMBJon wrote:
YankoSwag 8888 wrote:I have the full show on a VHS tape that was converted in 1998 from what I know. I don't know the date of the show sadly. All the shows I got from him were weird and out of order.
:think: Anyone else intrigued by this?? Paging Dr. Elvis...
I could try to post it on YouTube but I don't know how to convert a VHS tape to a video file.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Certainly going to need some proof, and would definitely like to view the show myself.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!