Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

RunningWithScissors
Regular

Re: Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:
RunningWithScissors wrote:I have a question for you guys. I've been to 3 Al concerts over the years, So I know just about what to expect (not counting the set list, though some of that is still predictable). But someone is driving me, a fellow Al fan, who also got the VIP, and he's never been to one. I wonder If I should let him go in completely fresh, or if I should tell him a few things. For example, when I went last time, my brother went for the first time, and he was annoyed with the video clips. Even though, I thought that added to the fun (ESPECIALLY when the whole audience quoted wheel of fish!) But I wonder if that is something I should tell him. I also wonder if I should tell him how he does a melody in the middle. And, he got his ticket before me, and he is front row in the middle, I wonder if I should warn him about throwing the water cup in SLN. What do you guys think?
Tell him about the video clips, and explain how they're necessary to allow time for the costume changes. Keep the "melody in the middle" and the SLN surprise secret!
Thanks!!! :D

I have another question for you guys, sorry to bother you again... for those who have met Al...

Obviously I want to get something signed. Even though I don't have a record I will probably buy Mandatory Fun on Record just for him to sign it. Here's the thing though.

My brother is going with his family, nosebleed, while I have VIP. While I am going to for sure meet Al, my brother is going to hope that he comes out at the end. His son really wants to get something signed. As happy as I am that I got VIP I can't help feel a little bad about that. So guys... would Al only sign one thing? I would NOT want to be rude and ask for more if he generally only does one, but if he does two, I'd like to bring something of my nephews to get signed, so that he would for sure get something.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

If you've got the Mandatory Czar VIP with the meet & greet, I'm sure Al would also sign something for your nephew. I mean, we're talking about the guy who once signed something, "To the lucky eBay buyer." I've only ever seen any pickiness about autographs when it's an actual product signing, like in a bookstore for a new book or a new album signing. And even then, it's the store/security people putting the limits, not Al.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Orthography Enthusiast wrote:If you've got the Mandatory Czar VIP with the meet & greet, I'm sure Al would also sign something for your nephew. I mean, we're talking about the guy who once signed something, "To the lucky eBay buyer." I've only ever seen any pickiness about autographs when it's an actual product signing, like in a bookstore for a new book or a new album signing. And even then, it's the store/security people putting the limits, not Al.
Thanks! :)
bwallace

Post by bwallace »

Do Al's shows typically (or ever) have opening acts?

How long do typical shows last?

(trying to figure out if/where to stay)

Thanks.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

bwallace wrote:Do Al's shows typically (or ever) have opening acts?

Thanks.
He doesn't have opening acts.

Depending on when the show starts, it might not be that late, it just depends. The first time I saw him was 15 years ago and there was a magician opening, and so it was still fairly late. The second time in 07 it started at 7:30 or so, and it was over by 9:30. But the last time I went, the tickets said 7:30 or 8, and it ended up being when the doors open, and the show didn't actually start till just about 9, so it just depends on when it starts.

:)
fred27
Obsessed

Post by fred27 »

I was at Orlando for another concert, the buses are not accessible from the venue
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

Reading all these experiences is getting me all excited for my first Weird Al concert in Clearwater on August 13. I do believe that all the VIP tickets are sold out already. My group is to be seated in the mid section of Ruth Eckerd Hall. That will be just fine, REH has great acoustics and a beautiful layout so we will be able to experience the show perfectly. I'm not sure if I will try to hang around after the show as some have suggested. I'm very shy, so talking, looking at him in the eye, or breath in the same general space is out of the question. I'm just excited for the experience and the high energy Mr. Yankovic and his band seem to bring. Good luck everyone and have a blast!
Weird Emily
Occasional

Post by Weird Emily »

bwallace wrote:Do Al's shows typically (or ever) have opening acts?

Thanks.
soo glad Al dont have opening acts, they drive me mad having to watch a random band for nearly a hour! :blink:
Weird Emily
Occasional

Post by Weird Emily »

Yup. wrote:
Sailor-Polka-Moon wrote: 1) What's it liiiike?! :inlove:
2) How should I prepare for this momentous event? What can I expect? (especially at Hard Rock Live at Universal, for those who have seen Al there before)
3) Is there any way I can meet Al-- without a VIP pass (d'oh!)? I could only get my regular, reserved-seat tickets, and I've heard about the standing-by-the-bus-after-the-show-and-wait-for-him thing, but I'm not sure how safe it is to do that...especially at night... :ph34r:

What were your experiences? Do you have any words of wisdom for us newbs? 8D!
I'd love to hear your stories!
1. It's surreal. It's truly an amazing thing, realizing that hey, this guy that you've been watching on the internet, reading about, he's REAL. It's astonishing.
2.) I haven't seen him at Universal, but I would prepare a little script if you do get to meet Al afterwards. That helped me not pee my pants when I met him. :lol:
3.) I've never done it myself, but i heard that if you stay in the theater, sometimes he'll invite people backstage to meet him (this takes maybe an hour after the show). If that doesn't work, the bus is your best bet. It's not too bad out there.

Well, you've read my Al encounters. ^_^ But one word of wisdom I have is to come prepared (waterbottles are always good), and bring a camera!
Other than that, you're all set! :bigups:

I need to work out what im going to say to Al! I usally go shy when meeting famous people! Am gonna get a VIP ticket in the next few days, after selling some stuff on ebay, just hope i dont cry when meeting him! :lol:
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Weird Emily wrote: just hope i dont cry when meeting him! :lol:
I bet you wouldn't be the first... Talking about that, did anyone witness how he reacts if anyone starts crying, has a panic attack or some other sort of emotional breakdown? I imagine that should be rather frequent thing for first time concert goers. I can easily imagine a situation where I say something embarassing because of stress and then start crying out of embarassment.