Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

67sivad

Re: Weird Al Concerts For Dummies XD

Post by 67sivad »

HI - I have only been to 3 concerts so a relatively newbie - 2010, 2011, 2012 MY son is a big fan and I took him. We were able to meet Al 2 out of 3 times so not bad. They are fun sing along shows. I feel like Orlando / Hard Rock may be a long shot for meeting by the bus but who knows. WE will try the bus thing in CHarleston but most likely skip it for Orlando.

OUr first concert was in Knoxville. I had learned from this board about the bus meet and greets so we tried it there. We found the bus and got in the back of the line. The Sec guard came out and switched it and made us first in line which was a nice surprise. My son was 11 at the time and we had a blast. He will be 16 by the time this years' concerts roll around. I guess he is OK still going w/ Mom because we have to go out of town to see the shows. We are out of the country when he comes to our town (figures).

Anyway you have lots of time to look forward to the Orlando show!

L
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

As far as meeting Al without a VIP pass, I think it depends on the venue (and maybe a little bit on Al's mood that night). I've only attempted to do this without a pass 3 times, and was only successful once. At his RWS show in San Diego, I lingered behind quite awhile after the show had ended until there were really only hardcore fans left. . .probably all with the same intentions as me. The venue was the San Diego State campus, so there was no security shooing us out after the show. Somehow, we figured out where the backstage area was and slowly migrated there, and eventually someone came out and lined us all up. Next thing I knew, Al was signing my RWS album and shaking my hand. However, trying for same thing at a couple of County Fair venues (one in Bakersfield and the other in Costa Mesa) were busts. Although I did happen to bump into Steve Jay in the Costa Mesa County Fair parking lot after the failed attempt and he graciously signed my In-3D album. :-)

Short answer: you're going to have a blast, even if you don't end up meeting with Al. (But good luck on that front.)
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

mrmeadows wrote:As far as meeting Al without a VIP pass, I think it depends on the venue (and maybe a little bit on Al's mood that night). I've only attempted to do this without a pass 3 times, and was only successful once. At his RWS show in San Diego, I lingered behind quite awhile after the show had ended until there were really only hardcore fans left. . .probably all with the same intentions as me. The venue was the San Diego State campus, so there was no security shooing us out after the show. Somehow, we figured out where the backstage area was and slowly migrated there, and eventually someone came out and lined us all up. Next thing I knew, Al was signing my RWS album and shaking my hand. However, trying for same thing at a couple of County Fair venues (one in Bakersfield and the other in Costa Mesa) were busts. Although I did happen to bump into Steve Jay in the Costa Mesa County Fair parking lot after the failed attempt and he graciously signed my In-3D album. :-)

Short answer: you're going to have a blast, even if you don't end up meeting with Al. (But good luck on that front.)
Thanks for that, I was just about to come back and ask if he signed stuff. I mean, that sounds like a dumb question but, since the VIP package includes an autographed poster, I was wondering.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

They probably do that because not everybody cares about getting stuff signed, but Al would never say no, especially for a paid meet and greet. Personally, I think it would be dumb not to get stuff signed at that opportunity, but if you don't buy all the albums and stuff then I assume those people don't care and just want a picture.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Yank27
Obsessed

Post by Yank27 »

I've seen him at Hard Rock Live in Orlando...very nice place. I remember the security at the entry had people put their bags on a conveyor that went through a metal detector...not sure what that means for cameras, as this was one of the few shows that my friend Dan and I went to that year where we both decided to not take pictures and just enjoy the ride. I'm going to go ahead and say they'll be fine, but don't hold me to that.

We briefly tried looking for the buses, but they're pretty blocked off. Didn't try for a meet this time, and opted having an after show party of our own with our crew. If allowed, I would stay in the building. It'll be your best bet for a meet without passes.
Sailor-Polka-Moon
Addicted
Awards: Outstanding Achievement in Fan Artistry - Traditional (2015)

Post by Sailor-Polka-Moon »

Aaah everyone wrote such amazing responses!! Thank you! <3

1) A first-time Weird Al concert is like...You've been waiting months, no, YEARS for this, and now it's finally here. You couldn't even sleep last night because you were so excited for this moment right here. The entire day seemed to move by so slowly until now. You're here in this place, surrounded by hundreds of fellow Weird Al fans, who are just as excited as you are, but there's no way that's possible, because this is your first Weird Al concert and you are more excited about this than you have ever been for anything in your entire life. You're shaking from the anticipation as you find your seat and possibly chat with those around you, and maybe consider going to get some merch since you arrived so early. You sit in your assigned seat some more, listening to the music by other artists they play before the show over the speakers, but mostly just texting and tweeting your friends like mad about how friggin excited you are. Finally, it's 7:55, and you can't hardly wait any longer. You're sitting there, counting down the seconds until the concert is about to start. A few minutes later, Fun Zone shoots out of the speakers, and you're somehow even more exhilarated than before. At about 1:14 into the song, the lights go down all the way.....people all around you cheer and you do too. You are prepared for those 16 "HEY"s at the end of the song and pump your fist along. Your insides feel all tingly. The opening video clips come on and finally introduce Al. This is it. This is the moment you've been waiting for your entire life. And suddenly...there he is. He has a smug grin on his face, and maybe one eyebrow raised. He's got the accordion in his hands, pumping out NOW That's What I Call Polka!, and you can't help but have the widest smile on your face. There are tears coming out of your eyeballs - it's so beautiful.

;A;........................ *dries tears already*..... uwaaaa... AAAAAL C'MEEEERE!! ;.; I WANNA SEE YOUUUU ;.; *reaches out to hug...air... (XD)*

I have a Twitter account (stargazer_lili) but oh man. I've tried tweeting to Al/replying to his tweets but I get all shy and I try to put words together but they just make me go "gawd ur st00pid Jan" when I look at them. DDD: But I'll definitely try to get up some nerve and some smart words!

The Alicia is not only very generous but very wise! ;D

Yank27, you gave me some good insight on Hard Rock Live, thankyou! 8D
So unfortunately, by-the-bus meeting is off, huh? ;.; Darnit... I will DEFINITELY wait in the theatre then to see what happens. And will definitely, definitely try the VIP People Incognito.
Ai to warai no! SAILOR POLKA ☆ MOON!
Tsuki ni kawatte-- tanoshi mazettangeru!

8*11*15 - first concert ever ~ ♡ mandatory world tour 2015 ♡
6*9*16 - second time around ~ ♡ ♡ mandatory world tour 2016 ♡ ♡
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

I have a question for you guys. I've been to 3 Al concerts over the years, So I know just about what to expect (not counting the set list, though some of that is still predictable). But someone is driving me, a fellow Al fan, who also got the VIP, and he's never been to one. I wonder If I should let him go in completely fresh, or if I should tell him a few things. For example, when I went last time, my brother went for the first time, and he was annoyed with the video clips. Even though, I thought that added to the fun (ESPECIALLY when the whole audience quoted wheel of fish!) But I wonder if that is something I should tell him. I also wonder if I should tell him how he does a melody in the middle. And, he got his ticket before me, and he is front row in the middle, I wonder if I should warn him about throwing the water cup in SLN. What do you guys think?
remmy
Regular

Post by remmy »

RunningWithScissors wrote:I have a question for you guys. I've been to 3 Al concerts over the years, So I know just about what to expect (not counting the set list, though some of that is still predictable). But someone is driving me, a fellow Al fan, who also got the VIP, and he's never been to one. I wonder If I should let him go in completely fresh, or if I should tell him a few things. For example, when I went last time, my brother went for the first time, and he was annoyed with the video clips. Even though, I thought that added to the fun (ESPECIALLY when the whole audience quoted wheel of fish!) But I wonder if that is something I should tell him. I also wonder if I should tell him how he does a melody in the middle. And, he got his ticket before me, and he is front row in the middle, I wonder if I should warn him about throwing the water cup in SLN. What do you guys think?
Just ask him if he wants to go in completely blind or if he'd rather you gave him some info on what to expect. My concert buddy didn't want to know anything about the show the first time he went along with me during the Alpocalypse tour.
WEIRDALexis279
Off The Deep End

Post by WEIRDALexis279 »

I have had a lot of luck with meet and greets by the buses. I've met Al a number of times after concerts by waiting by the bus. That of course doesn't guarantee that he will do that at your particular concert, but I definitely think it is worth a shot to wait out by the buses for a meet and greet if you don't have the VIP tickets. I've also found it to be a really fun experience even if Al doesn't do the meet and greet to wait out by the bus with the other fans. You meet a lot of people (maybe even some people from the forum). It's super fun when you can get the crowd by the buses to start singing their favorite Al songs and hearing their stories of past concerts and such. It becomes a fun experience with a community of Al fans just like you. Especially since you are probably still on that Al-high because you just saw the most amazing, wonderful, thrilling performance in the universe!

For this tour, personally, I'm hoping to see lots of people coming with their aluminum foil hats on but that is of course no guarantee.

I don't really want to tell you too much about what it's like to go to your first Al concert to be honest. I think it's best if you just go and experience your first Al concert. Just know that it will with out a doubt be a fantastic experience and one that you will remember forever. :)

Have fun! :accordion:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

RunningWithScissors wrote:I have a question for you guys. I've been to 3 Al concerts over the years, So I know just about what to expect (not counting the set list, though some of that is still predictable). But someone is driving me, a fellow Al fan, who also got the VIP, and he's never been to one. I wonder If I should let him go in completely fresh, or if I should tell him a few things. For example, when I went last time, my brother went for the first time, and he was annoyed with the video clips. Even though, I thought that added to the fun (ESPECIALLY when the whole audience quoted wheel of fish!) But I wonder if that is something I should tell him. I also wonder if I should tell him how he does a melody in the middle. And, he got his ticket before me, and he is front row in the middle, I wonder if I should warn him about throwing the water cup in SLN. What do you guys think?
Tell him about the video clips, and explain how they're necessary to allow time for the costume changes. Keep the "melody in the middle" and the SLN surprise secret!