Smells Like Nirvana Cheerleaders on Other Songs?

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

The Sporkman
Addicted

Smells Like Nirvana Cheerleaders on Other Songs?

Post by The Sporkman »

I always thought it was strange that Al would go through the effort of bringing in local dancers for every single concert for just the one song. I realize they have a very short amount of time to learn the SLN choreography, but surely there are other places in the show where background dancers doing simple or even improvised choreography would add to the perceived "production value" of a performance. What do you think?
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Smells Like Nirvana Cheerleaders on Other Songs?

Post by Bruce the Duck »

It's too late now, but they definitely should have been used in the Pentiums performance. Those girls in the video are amazing! :drool:
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Im all for having cheerleaders on every song, but having to train new girls every night on more than one song could be problematic. As it is they usually mess up a few times during one song
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

There were cheerleaders and Pentiums girls (same girls) during the first show of Touring With Scissors in Green Bay. He stopped doing it after that show as it was too much for everyone involved.

Dave
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

Yeah, given the fact that each individual venue is responsible for finding the cheerleaders, and they are trained pretty quickly, it might be challenging to begin adding them to more songs.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Elvis wrote:There were cheerleaders and Pentiums girls (same girls) during the first show of Touring With Scissors in Green Bay. He stopped doing it after that show as it was too much for everyone involved.

Dave
Interesting! I didn't know that. I guess it would just be too difficult to train new people for multiple songs every night.

That raises a new question, then. If dancers can only be brought on for one song during the show, is there a different song where dancers might be a better fit? I know the SLN and original Teen Spirit videos had the cheerleaders, but it's not something Nirvana ever really incorporated into their own live performances. Assuming Al's still doing both SLN and PTW in full next tour, and he can only pick dancers for one song, I think having dancers for PTW for every show makes more sense.
Last edited by The Sporkman on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

No. I could barely stomach dancers for PTW at the TV/DVD Taping in Toronto. Would much prefer to have the cheerleaders stay where they are.
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

Lady Gaga uses both male and female dancers, and Al could open the PTW position up to both. It wouldn't have to be just dudes, if that's your issue.
Last edited by The Sporkman on Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yup.
Die-hard Fan
Awards: Best Yankochick (-18) Nominee

Post by Yup. »

I personally would love to see the dancers live for PTW. I enjoyed them very much on the live DVD.
Shows:
10-21-12 Rutland VT
06-02-13 Port Chester NY
10-08-13 Verona NY
07-14-15 Verona NY
07-30-15 Port Chester NY
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I wouldn't mind seeing dancers on another song if it made sense. The PTW dancers were fine, but the problem is that you need trained dancers for that spot, and that could involve auditions and more time than they have to teach them the routine. You can't really just get the promoter's cousin and brother to go out there and have it look decent, the same way you might be able to get the promoter's sisters to fill in for a cheerleaders if they can't find professional cheerleaders.

Dave