The Yoda Chant

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

What should happen to the Yoda Chant?

Eliminate the Yoda Chant altogether, possibly allowing for an additional song in the setlist.
3%
Shorten the Yoda Chant.
3%
Keep the Yoda Chant exactly as is.
11%
Keep the Yoda Chant roughly the same length, but switch out some pieces to keep it fresh.
22%
Elongate the Yoda Chant with every successive tour, no matter how long it gets.
62%

Total votes: 37

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

The Yoda Chant

Post by TMBJon »

Since the early 90s, the Yoda Chant has been a literal show-stopping moment of the setlist, growing longer and longer with each tour. However, the Yoda Chant is now several minutes long, almost the same length as the rest of Yoda.

Just curious what people think of this, so I came up with a few general options in a poll. Please expand upon your thoughts in a post though, as there's a lot of gray area here.

I went with "Keep the Yoda Chant roughly the same length, but switch out some pieces to keep it fresh." I do feel like there are diminishing returns by continually extending it. It's at about the maximum length now, I think. And some of the newer elements added in the last couple of tours I really would not miss if they were removed (the Disney song about grim grinning ghosts, for instance, feels out of place to me).
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Re: The Yoda Chant

Post by Big Spoon »

I love the Yoda Chant, and am fine to just see it get longer and longer each tour.
And Peggy
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I say make the Yoda chant as long as possible. My absolute favorite moment of the concert (except for the excitement when Fun Zone starts) is looking around at all the completely blank stares from the people in the audience who have no idea what's going on.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

The Yoda Chant has kinda just become a thing of its own now, right? I love the whole thing about it how it's like that you know, it's pretty great
I think it's be funny if it just got longer from here because when it's happening you're like woooOOAAOAHHHHhh u kno
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by JEDM »

Make it as long as it can be without overdoing it.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

JEDM wrote:without overdoing it.
I think the whole question I am asking is... when does it cross the line into overdoing it?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

8 hours might start pushing it.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I think Al could stand to add something to the chant for one or two more tours before it gets too long and it would behoove him to add something at the expense of shortening it down some.
Last edited by Killingsworth on Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
The Sporkman
Addicted

Post by The Sporkman »

When the chant itself is longer than Albuquerque, we can maybe start to consider having this conversation, I think. Until then, though, I want Al and the band to keep adding more each tour.
Alinite27
Off The Deep End

Post by Alinite27 »

I would like to see the chant get longer each tour, but I figure it will just stay the same. Nothing was added for the Alpocalypse Tour, both of the new alterations came in 2010.