Family Friendly?

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

Shelley
Addicted

Family Friendly?

Post by Shelley »

Obviously we'll get a better idea of what new songs could potentially be in the upcoming tour once the album comes out, but any speculation on whether this tour will be one to which I can take my kids? They went to a number of shows for TWS, and loved every minute of it.. I'm not bothered by them hearing/seeing the song TNSWC.. have to admit that I'm hoping Jerry Springer song will be a thing of the past.

I'm looking forward to those early CA concert reviews from everyone to give me the scoop on the concert... I'd love to take my kids again and they've been begging ever since the last tour ended, but I know Al's music has started to be more overtly mature (Truck Drivin' Song, Jerry Springer for example) so..

-Shelley
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

My prediction is that Poodle Hat won't be any more "PG-13" than RWS was, and even that last album was pretty tame when you consider any alternative comedy albums out there. If you tried to go any cleaner, you'd end up buying the latest Raffi album.

The only song we know for sure is on the new album is "Party in the Leper Colony", which qualifies as tasteless gross-out humor, but face it: kids love that kind of stuff! As far as S-E-X-related material, I truly doubt it gets any spicier than "Jerry Springer" in Al's repertoire.

Meadows
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

If Truck Driving Song and Jerry Springer are the worst things your kids hear... you should see that as a blessing. I don't mean for this to sound like an attack, but with all the "crap" out there these day's al's most edgy stuff sounds angelic. RWS was the perfect blend of edgy and clean.
'Who are you and how did you get in here?' 'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' Leslie Nielsen, as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, From Police Squad
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

No offense/attack taken.. I was very thankful that I could take my kids last tour and not worry about obscenities in the music or half-naked people on stage (darn! ..er.. *ahem*). It's not very many concerts that you can go to with your kids where everyone enjoys it, and there's no one running around in a big blue dog suit or purple dinosaur suit. Besides, Al's concerts are actually cheaper than Blue's Clues concerts! Not complaining, but there's just something not right with this world. :sleepy:

-Shelley
weirdallie27
Off The Deep End

Post by weirdallie27 »

....or half-naked people on stage...

What about Bedrock Anthem? :)
ExitWound

Post by ExitWound »

The only beef I've had with an AL show was the opening act for the Bad Hair Day show in Wilkes-Barre PA, the opening night. The show was basically being watched by children, parents, and grandparents. Many of the kids were under 10 years old. The opening act was a local comedian who had his material teetering on Comedy Central humor, with jokes about sleeping with nuns, sex, and alcohol. It was NOT the best choice they could have made. Many parents around me were disgusted, and me at age 23 at the time was likewise disgusted.
Yankovic Farley
Addicted

Post by Yankovic Farley »

Gee, that's way different from the juggling german guy riding a unicycle that was the opening act for al during the RWS act at Wilkes Barre. I guess the kiddies should've been at this one instead of yours.
'Who are you and how did you get in here?' 'I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.' Leslie Nielsen, as Lieutenant Frank Drebin, From Police Squad
Shelley
Addicted

Post by Shelley »

>bedrock anthem<

hmm.. true, but those were still tasteful outfits, not like a Chili Pepper concert with all the guys wearing nothing but a tube sock...

I have to agree about the opening acts - there was one guy, I can't remember which concert on TWS, which was very very loud, and his material was less-than-desirable. On the other hand I loved some of the opening acts - especially the magician (which happened to be one where I had my son with us, and we were front row)..

-Shelley
theparodytimes
Occasional

Post by theparodytimes »

Very good indeed you might not see it as such but in todays world al is almost a perfect blend of whats hip/good/FAMILY SAFE/funny/and just enjoyable its not like there are an abundance of places out there where you can spend more than an hour with your kids and nine times out of ten look over at them and know exactly what they are thnking (on top of that be able to identify with it) so for that little bit of edge that may scrape you remember that your building more family memories with your kids than any little bit of potty humor or gross out humor could ever break down. Its all in your perspective, just remember that your kids will grow up so enjoy their childhood as much as they do or it will be gone before you ever have a chance to notice. Kids today grow up much too quickly and parents sometimes forget in all the clamur that life is ment to be lived and lived well, if that means that you call off from work and spend time with your kids for no other reason than just because then so be it.
I smell Ice Cream!!!!!!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Family Friendly?

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

... have to admit that I'm hoping Jerry Springer song will be a thing of the past.

But would it really be a bad thing to have your kids going around singing, "It's totally worthless, like a bad check, it's like a train wreck...?"

Some things you can't keep them from being exposed to, but if they get a hint that those things are kind of laughable and dumb, seems to me it's the next best thing.