7/21/13 Boulder, CO Boulder Theater

All about Weird Al's concerts and other live appearances.

Moderators: Moderators, ConcertTracker

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: 7/21/13 Boulder, CO Boulder Theater

Post by TMBJon »

Killingsworth wrote:Since it is Boulder, I shouldn't be surprised because it is Boulder after all.
This sentence. Are you sure you aren't smoking fields of reefer? :wacko:
I am surprised anyway because it was a Weird Al concert.
I have definitely noticed the smell of marijuana at a few Weird Al concerts, and I saw someone smoking a joint in the seats once.
To say nothing of those who hotbox their car in the parking lot before the show... :F :wacko:
Also, when you're up close it's funny to see Al's facial expressions as he walks onstage for each song because you can tell he's trying to stay "in character" for the performance.
I guess Al is a regular Daniel Day-Lewis.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Love you fo'eva, Jon. xD

So Lou found this great slideshow of the concert, and I'm in a few of the pictures (or at least Pollo is!)
Check it out, yo.
:ttr:
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
OneWAY
Obsessed

Post by OneWAY »

That was a fun slideshow thingy. I liked that picture of you; for someone just enjoying the show, it was a very photogenic shot!
8/26/08, 7/15/10, 7/16/10, 7/17/10, 11/5/10, 9/22/11, 9/24/11, 9/25/11, 4/30/12, 10/19/13, 5/19/15, 8/19/15, 8/21/15, 7/16/16, 3/3/18, 3/22/18, 4/20/18, 4/27/18, 6/14/19, 6/15/19, 6/21/19, 9/1/19, 5/31/22, 6/1/22, 9/4/22, 9/30/22, 10/1/22, 10/7/22
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

TMBJon wrote:
Killingsworth wrote:Since it is Boulder, I shouldn't be surprised because it is Boulder after all.
This sentence. Are you sure you aren't smoking fields of reefer? :wacko:
No, but I was typing that at around 2:27am or so. Can you tell?

Anyway, my photos from this concert are now on facebook for your viewing pleasure.
MissyMoo38 wrote:Love you fo'eva, Jon. xD

So Lou found this great slideshow of the concert, and I'm in a few of the pictures (or at least Pollo is!)
Check it out, yo.
It turns out I'm also in this. I'm in the first black and white crowd shot. Man, I NEVER photograph well!
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

I believe the Birmingham UK and Amsterdam NL were, like the one in London that I was at, all standing shows (and he DID perform WBUL at those). Seated concerts are pretty unusual here for safety reasons. I have been to concerts (Adam and the Ants and The Jam back in the day) where as soon as the lights were down the audience was on its feet smashing the banks of seating to smithereens and throwing them around.
The "shutter shades" are the ones @sarieswick gave them in Saratoga last summer.
Alicia.. lol.. that's all I have to say. Glad Al said your name, made up for the traffic snafu preventing any signing I hope.
I appreciate that those at the front had a great time, but I did read tweets from several people saying they and their kids were jostled and pushed around, and saw very little, which is why I will always be in favour of a seated gig for a show like Al's where there is so much to look at going on. Standing shows are only OK if the stage is very high, as it was at the Portland Zoo the other day. Boulder Theater's stage seems to be little more than a raised dais though. It is HARD and painful for a lot of people to stand long periods, and when you have paid a lot of money for a ticket, there's nothing worse than a bunch of people pushing in front of you. If you arent on the front row at a standing show you might as well not have bothered.
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
yankochick38
Be jealous.
Location: The comfort of my own home and Weird Al's chest hair

Post by yankochick38 »

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that point of view. I've been to shows like that and all the tall people are in front of me and I can't see and it's kinda saddening.
However, I feel like as long as people are warned in advance that it is a standing show, the standing shows can be pretty great. I mean, Al's the only one I've ever been to see that actually had sitting shows anyway.
As for this show's tickets, it seemed like a lot of people were finding out day-of-show that Al was even there, and the general admission tickets were less than $40, so I don't think that's too bad. It would've been nice if someone warned the people with kids that this was a standing-room show, especially since they showed a seating chart in the box office, but still.
Also, I got there a few hours before the doors were supposed to open to save a spot in line, and that ended up working out for me because I got to be at the front of the line that way. It wasn't until about 5 that a crowd started to line up, anyway, but until then there were only a few of us hanging out and playing on our 3DSs. We also paid more for our tickets, so we got to go in even earlier and save our spots.
I do feel like the Boulder Theater should have let everyone know right-out that it was a standing show, and that since it's general admission, you probably want to get there earlier to get a good spot. There were seats in the balcony, too, but I think you had to get those beforehand. It's also a good thing to get your tickets before the day of the show.

Anyway, I'm of the opinion that standing Al concerts are the bomb diggity. For general admission standing-room shows, I would suggest not bringing little kids and also getting there early to ensure you get a good spot. Otherwise, it's a fantastic experience.
Weird Al Yankovic is one busy daddy
YNN: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUOwVDpf5zQrXyKPPJWxs-Q
I abused my power and learned nothing!
-Alicia
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

I loved the London show too but standing for 9 hours mostly in sub-zero temps and snow is hard especially when you have, as I do, a medical condition where you just shouldn't do that sort of thing. I'm not a fan of kids at shows either as it happens, but that is the way it is with Al's audience in the USA at least. If you want to see a concert you have to go to see what you can, not everyone is in a position to pick and choose. I certainly wouldn't stay away from a show just because it was standing only. I'd just prefer it was not. I had a blast in London, but I was at the front and I had a rail to lean on at least. I wouldn't have fancied being further back though especially if I was short. That would have been miserable as well as extremely painful.
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I didn't find it hard to stand at all during this show. Al's energy is quite contagious and it really rubs off on me every time I go see him. Standing room only is definitely the best way for Al's younger die hard fans to take in his show even if it is a real test of one's stamina and endurance.

I shouldn't be surprised that the Empire Mag slideshow turned up. I probably saw the guy who took those photos because a guy with a huge lens camera (the kind Al wanted the PTW extras to bring to the video shoot) walk right up next to me early on in the show.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...