Taco Grande Cover

No file trading allowed!

Moderator: Moderators

HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

jake waters @ May 27 2008, 09:53 PM wrote: Do you guys really think that Disney/Pixar's legal team would allow Disney/Pixar to illegally release something. While it would have been the kind thing to do, I doubt that it's required by law to give credit in the pamphlet. All that really has to be done, is Disney/Pixar would have had to obtain a mechanical rights license, which isn't hard. It's been a while since I've looked in to Mechanical Rights licensing, but I've been working on a projects that requires it. I don't think permission has to be obtained from Al himself, but rather from The Harry Fox Agency, who I believe would pay Al royalties. If anybody knows more about this than I do, then feel free to add or take away from what I have said.

-Jake
I think that's the overlying question here. If his agency gave the permission and he's getting the royalty, then problem solved. I think Al's not so much worried about credit as the monetary issue. I would be, at least. I think as a songwriter he has to be credited anyway, but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know all how that goes.

I'm just flabbergasted that they picked that song of any, and did a horrible version.

Kind of an obscure song of Al's in a way. Wasn't a hit from what I remember. But I'm guessing "Eat It" or any numerous other food songs Al's done wouldn't have fit, but I haven't seen the movie so I wouldn't know where they're going for the soundtrack. Is there a taco scene in the movie?
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
Mashed Potato
Off The Deep End

Post by Mashed Potato »

Yes, Microwave tacos. :unsure:
But they aren't very Grande
SWIGGITY SWOOTY
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

ludovica64 @ May 27 2008, 06:26 PM wrote: This is the best solution .. an attorney's letter (we call it a solicitor's letter here) ought to be enough to rectify any oversight, accidental or deliberate. I'm sure avoidance of adverse publicity would be a good incentive for Disney to cough up the dough
I don't see Al as a sue-happy person, but like you said, an attorney's letter would get their attention, so forth.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Oh he'll sue them, he'll take all their money.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Mashed Potato
Off The Deep End

Post by Mashed Potato »

minnick27 @ May 27 2008, 08:34 PM wrote: Oh he'll sue them, he'll take all their money.
:lol: Yeah, I was so proud when my brother said that the other day, I almost cried. I'll make an Al fan out of him yet!
If he is not credited anywhere it should be taken to court
SWIGGITY SWOOTY
JDTurnbull272
Addicted

Post by JDTurnbull272 »

Even the iTunes version didn't have a word of mention to Al in the credits properties...What if Disney thought it was such a overlooked song that they could pull of using the catchy tune without anyone really noticing it to be a former "Weird Al Song". Imagine the kind of money they could have saved by not featuring (or giving credit to) the original writers credits (Weird Al AND the original artist of Rico Suave) in the movie...since it was such a big hit movie, they probably saved tens of thousands! :o
The name is John, but you can call me JD! ^~^
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

HappyGilmore @ May 27 2008, 07:21 PM wrote: I think Al's not so much worried about credit as the monetary issue.  I would be, at least.  I think as a songwriter he has to be credited anyway, but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know all how that goes.
Well, I'm not sure if Al is in fact worried about this at all, let alone knows about it.

I might have missed it in the thread, but has anybody actually bought a copy of the album to see if Al is credited as a co-composer? I mean, iTunes and download listings don't really qualify as the "official" credits for a song (remember when one site credited Krayzie Bone on "White & Nerdy?").
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, Al owns a copy of the cd, so he knows about it. I don't know if anyone would actually buy this just to find out if Al was credited anywhere in the pamphlet. Al was just reading off the back of the cd in that clip from Amoeba. He's had the cd since April, so who knows.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

I have a copy of the CD. I'll try to remember to check when I get home.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Thanks, Dave.
And Peggy