The Check's In The Mail

Moderator: Moderators

Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

The Check's In The Mail

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

This song has always struck me as not just a string of cliches (although "have lunch with my machine" is hardly a cliche! :biggrin: )... to me it sounds kind of autobiographical. A very young Weird Al sticking his hand for the first time in the blender of the music industry. You know, kind of "Stop Draggin' My Hopes Around!"

And this means there would be an interesting thematic connection between "The Check's In The Mail" and what other songs?...

comments? suggestions? extrapolations?
Obbsesed
Occasional

Re: The Check's In The Mail

Post by Obbsesed »

QUOTE This song has always struck me as not just a string of cliches (

That's what my MOM said! 'Is this song called 'Cliches'?' Lol...parents...

*Da

:stupid:
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Yes, it's a string of cliches, but I think it was a string with a sharp hook on the end.

In a weird kind of way, "The Check's In The Mail" reminds me of "The Night Santa Went Crazy"-- both sort of "Bad Contract Blues" although neither one is actually a blues song, of course. Pass the milk and cookies!
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

QUOTE A very young Weird Al sticking his hand for the first time in the blender of the music industry. You know, kind of \"Stop Draggin' My Hopes Around!\"

I wondered that too, especially after seeing the WAY VH-1 Driven ep.
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

Actually, I've always heard that Al wrote it about trying to get a record deal...

Harold
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Actually, I've always heard that Al wrote it about trying to get a record deal...

Was that in the box set booklet (which I don't have)? I've never seen a comment on the song-- I'm new at this.
Ratbert197
Obsessed

Post by Ratbert197 »

I like any comedy that has to do with the buisness world. The check's in the Mail, Dog Eat Dog, and the Dilbert comics have a special place in my heart.
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

It may have been in the booklet, but more then likely it was in either ask al or the midnight Star. I honestly don't remember where at this point. My brain is ried from workign WAY to many hours in the last 10 or 11 days...

Harold
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

It may have been in the booklet, but more then likely it was in either ask al or the midnight Star.

Nope. Definitely not in the booklet or in an Ask Al.
yo
Die-hard Fan

Post by yo »

I love the song Check's In The Mail! It's just so catchy and bouncy and fun! It's one of my favorite Al songs! :) There's just one problem...

What's it about? :unsure:

lol, I know it sounds weird, but I have no clue what the song's about! I can't figure out to save my life and don't see an ounce of humor in it. It's a great song, and I wish I could comprehend it. :D
?