Debut Album Cover

Moderator: Moderators

Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

Thanks, Darbus! This is fun :)

Buckingham Blues -- there's a horse thing hanging on the other side of the bed

Happy Birthday -- is that a crispy critter flying above Mr. Frump?

SDMCA -- hub cap on the wall, couple of sandwiches on the floor (reference to leaving one in the back seat?)

Check's -- there's what appears to be an old style answering machine on the floor under the birthday party hat; pitch fork (for the loot?) by the dresser

AORTB -- can of sardines by the bus

Is that a dog under his pillow? The purply jacket hanging on the door knob for a groovy guy?

Couple of green frogs...Nobody here but us frogs reference?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, he wouldn't have referenced a song that's not on the album, would he? Would the artist who did the album artwork even have known about NHBUF?
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
ducttapeearth
Obsessed

Post by ducttapeearth »

Hey, I was doing this just the other day! I went to a record store to try and find an LP but I didn't find it.
Nafziger

Post by Nafziger »

Cinnamon @ Aug 6 2006, 06:44 AM wrote: Buckingham Blues -- there's a horse thing hanging on the other side of the bed
Isn't that the harness from Such a Groovy Guy?

The one that baffles me is the hang-glider toy suspended from the ceiling. Seems too unusual to be random, but I can't think of a song that it would be from.

I always knew there were references, but I never looked this closely at the cover. Do we know who the artist is (there's a sig under the I heart Rocky Road sticker, maybe "Roscito")? Brilliant job.
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

Nafziger @ Aug 6 2006, 09:41 AM wrote: Do we know who the artist is (there's a sig under the I heart Rocky Road sticker, maybe "Roscito")? Brilliant job.
From Ask Al:
Ask Al from July 1999 wrote: Donovan Jones of Louisville, Kentucky asks: Hey Al, who painted the cover for your first album ("Weird Al" Yankovic)?

That was a Brazilian artist named Rogerio, and as you can tell, he's very talented.
Begone, foul beast!
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

Al's #27 fan Posted on Aug 6 2006, 05:19 PM
  That was a Brazilian artist named Rogerio, and as you can tell, he's very talented.
algonacchick Posted on Aug 6 2006, 09:03 AM
  Well, he wouldn't have referenced a song that's not on the album, would he? Would the artist who did the album artwork even have known about NHBUF?
I don't know. He did such a great job, wonder if he was a roommate?

Mystik Tomato Posted: Aug 6 2006, 01:40 AM  
  And has anyone noticed the "No 'No Polkas'" sign on the side of the TV :blink:
No Polkas, only Rock n Roll? :)

Nafziger Posted on Aug 6 2006, 04:41 PM
  Isn't that the harness from Such a Groovy Guy?
eeek! You must be right (I was thinking about the polo star) - lol

The one that baffles me is the hang-glider toy suspended from the ceiling. Seems too unusual to be random, but I can't think of a song that it would be from.
May refer to someone, could be a toy...

There's the box of what looks like cereal with the name "boom" on the lid--don't know what the front says.

Is that a picture of someone on Al's shirt?

The tambourine on the wall is also interesting, especially since we've now seen Al play one when he performed with Ben Folds :)

Cody, thanks for posting the ALbum cover! :)
Al's #27 fan
Obsessed

Post by Al's #27 fan »

I'm wondering… What's up with the monkey playing the accordion? And the Time magazine? Who's on the cover? The one on our right looks kinda like Jon used to, but not really. o.O
Begone, foul beast!
cody
Die-hard Fan

Post by cody »

this is the Time cover, from Aug. 3 1981. it features Princess Dianna and Prince Charles.Image
so yeah, definatly a nod to Buckingham Blues
Nafziger

Post by Nafziger »

cody @ Aug 6 2006, 07:35 PM wrote: this is the Time cover, from Aug. 3 1981.
Holy Crap! He used an ACTUAL issue of Time!?! It astounds me that someone would put so much effort into the album cover for a relatively unknown "novelty" musician.

Perhaps he was also psychic?
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Cinnamon @ Aug 6 2006, 03:44 PM wrote: The purply jacket hanging on the door knob for a groovy guy?
Y'know, for a while, I thought it was a used pink bathrobe...

:lol:
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.