Ricky

Moderator: Moderators

Melquizio
Die-hard Fan

Post by Melquizio »

BabyBoolie27 @ December 29, 2008 01:27 am wrote: Holy smokes! That IS one ugly shirt!
Hey...I like Jim's polka dot shirt!
"How do we know you're not just as filthy, sent by him to nick the ring by being filthy, when you've lulled us with your filthy Eastern ways?"
QuantumError
Requiescat In Pace

Post by QuantumError »

I never really liked this song too much when I first got the album. I had gotten Alapalooza, Bad Hair Day, and Running With Scissors before I had ever gotten this album, so when I got this album, I wasn't used to Al's singing style (it seemed a bit more nasaly or something!)

However, it really has grown on me in the past 10 years or so. Also, the music video for this was marvelous! :D
MidnightStar
Occasional

Post by MidnightStar »

Orthography Enthusiast @ December 29, 2008 10:44 am wrote: Of course, Steve in a thigh-high tunic is not a bad thing in any way. 8)
[/QUOTE]

Lol, no it is definatly not a bad thing! :F

I didn't like this song at first either. It was on the first CD I bought, and I thought it was kinda annoying. But then I listened to it again..... and again, and I began to love it, like I do all of Al's songs. And he looks great in the music video! *sigh*
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

TMBJon @ February 13, 2009 08:04 pm wrote: Hey Mickey is probably the original song that I associate most with Al's parody, or at least of those that I hear on a semi-regular basis (when was the last time you heard Stop Draggin My Heart Around on the radio?). Usually when I hear songs like My Sharona, Give It Away, or American Idiot, I don't even think about Al's parody.
Psst, it's just Mickey, Jon.

I haven't heard Mickey on the radio lately, but I do think of Al's parody when I hear it. I have to disagree about hearing My Sharona, though. I do think of Al's parody.

You're right about Stop Draggin' My Heart Around...but I know a certain band who does an awesome cover version of that song. ;) The gal who sings it can't remember Al's lyrics anymore, so it doesn't mess with her head.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Ricky

Post by JEDM »

I am currently listening to every album (in order) in preparation for "Mandatory Fun". I figured it would be best to start at the beginning...

After listening to this song again, I never understood why it needed to be a duet. The original was not a duet, and he has not had a duet on any album since (parody or original). Also, why did it have to be called "Ricky"? Yes, "Ricky" rhymes with "Mickey", but "Rocky Road" does not rhyme with "Rock N' Roll". It could've easily been called "Lucy", and have Al (as Ricky) list off all the ways she's schemed to get in Ricky's show, etc... It's still a fairly decent beginning to Al's first album :flower:
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Going from album to album, it's obvious that the parody titles started off by being consistent with the original's title.

It wasn't until (This Song's Just) Six Words Long that you couldn't recognise the song from the title, and even then, I'm sure someone might've guessed if the forum was around way back when. There's arguably The Brady Bunch but... That one's always been a stretch.

The first inconsistent titles are The Plumbing Song, Bedrock Anthem and Cavity Search.
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Ricky is a great song. I hear Mickey on the "oldies" station from time to time. I loved watching 'I Love Lucy' re-runs as a kid, and still do whenever I can catch them. I give Ricky 4 out of 5 stars.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Don't know why you have oldies in quotes, Mickey is a 34 year old song. That's older than the 60s songs I listened to on oldies stations in the 80s
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

Huh? How is an 80s song older than 60s songs you listen to? I am confused.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

Muldernscully wrote:Huh? How is an 80s song older than 60s songs you listen to? I am confused.
He listened to them in 80s, so they were 20 years old. Read his post again more carefully ;)