Midnight Star

Moderator: Moderators

Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I've always loved MS. It's a really great song, especially for Al's early stuff.
And Peggy
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

LOL I just dug up this video of me singing "Midnight Star" when I was 12 years old:

Jon Sings Midnight Star, Age 12
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Shy little guy, weren't you? :D

Is that the earliest fan made Weird Al music video we know of?
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Well earlier that day I sang Since You've Been Gone, Gump, Like A Surgeon, and Smells Like Nirvana, so I guess there are technically four earlier ones. :P

PS The Like A Surgeon performance is based on Al's live version, so that one will never see the light of day.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

That's awesome, Jon! Thanks for sharing.
And Peggy
RyanHippFTW
Off The Deep End

Post by RyanHippFTW »

Such silliness, Jon.
amzo39
Off The Deep End
Awards: Everything

Post by amzo39 »

That's great.
Was in the shower when it got leaked. almost spinned my ankle & dead with my head crack opened #StealMyGirlLeaked #StealMyGirlIsPerfect
ludovica64
Off The Deep End

Post by ludovica64 »

TMBJon @ August 22, 2009 11:35 pm wrote: Well earlier that day I sang Since You've Been Gone, Gump, Like A Surgeon, and Smells Like Nirvana, so I guess there are technically four earlier ones. :P

PS The Like A Surgeon performance is based on Al's live version, so that one will never see the light of day.
Ok so now I BADLY want to see the LAS one!! You really cant say that and then leave us hanging! LOL
<º))))><.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´"Not too stupid..... Just stupid enough!"¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((º>
Jul 20th,23rd 2008
AlFest 1/8/2009
Al's Brain x20
Aug 13th,14th,21st,22nd, Dec 3rd,6th 2010
Aug 12th,14th,26th 2012
Oct 4th 2015
MrRooney

Re: Midnight Star

Post by MrRooney »

Made an Al-cappella arrangement of this as well. Haven't gotten it sung yet, sad day.
weird user
Addicted

Re: Midnight Star

Post by weird user »

It's interesting how Weird Al originally wanted Midnight Star to be the lead single, considering it wasn't released as a single (not even a b-side) at all. And it is a great song.

Weird Al: The Book gives an explanation for why Al wanted this to be the lead single (not sure if the info has been out there before): Because by his second album he was getting tired of being best-known for parodies. Scotti Bros. didn't want to allow Midnight Star to be the lead single.

Of course I wonder if Al could get away with having an original be the lead single today. Especially since he's done so many well-known originals. The first Internet Leaks song was the only parody of the bunch. Of course it might not matter anymore if Al does decide to stop releasing physical albums after his next album.