Yoda

Moderator: Moderators

jeffrey
Addicted

Post by jeffrey »

At first I didnt like it because I wasnt very into Al yet but now I appreciate it more.
When did we get a chair on the porch? This is crazy.....
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

This has probably already been mentioned, but Yoda makes an appearance on Radio Disney: Kid Jams CD. I don't imagine it would have to be censored, thoguh :P
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

Nah, they took offense to the line about killing Darth Vader. Of course, the replacement line "But, remember if you talk to him then you'll be unemployed" makes no sense. :rolleyes:

:P

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
twinkieweinersandwiches24_7
Off The Deep End

Post by twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 »

Elvis @ Aug 31 2005, 06:02 PM wrote: "But, remember if you talk to him then you'll be unemployed"
That's how the Disney version goes? Hm, I always thought it was the original one. But then again, I don't listen to Radio Disney anymore. Why? 'Cause they stopped playing Al... <_<
Stephanie
Al Team #2781
Kevbo1987
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Kevbo1987 »

twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 @ Aug 31 2005, 09:04 PM wrote: That's how the Disney version goes? Hm, I always thought it was the original one. But then again, I don't listen to Radio Disney anymore. Why? 'Cause they stopped playing Al... <_<
Dave was just joking. He was referring to TSB, where the line "Do you see him hitting on the queen...." was replaced by "Do you see him talking to the queen....".
The original line in Yoda is "But, remember if you kill him then you'll be unemployed." To my knowledge, it wasn't changed for Radio Disney.
Oh by the way, I've cracked the code.
twinkieweinersandwiches24_7
Off The Deep End

Post by twinkieweinersandwiches24_7 »

Oh.
Hehe... :S

:P

Yeah, I do remember the change in TSB. I guess some little kids would think that "hitting on" would mean physically abusing the queen, which would SCAR THEM FOR LIFE, you know. :rolleyes: I heard that when I was in 1st or 2nd grade, and I knew what it meant. Hmm... :lookaround:

;)

Topic?
Stephanie
Al Team #2781
Radiogal1
Occasional

Post by Radiogal1 »

Does anyone know why Al waited so long before recording Yoda on an album? He wrote the song in '81, but didn't record it until '85 on DTBS. I always thought it was rather strange Al waited soooooooooo long to record Yoda; especially since by the time DTBS was released, the "Jedi" movie had already been released and we all knew that Luke had already killed Vader by this time. I wonder if the reason Al waited so long to record Yoda had anything to do with him wanting to have a bigger budget behind him so he could record the song with a better rock n' roll sound and bigger production quality? If that's the case, Al really took a huge risk. Just think ... if Scotti Brothers didn't want to keep Al on their label beyond 3D, we would never have gotten the chance to hear this treasure we all love so much. B) Hmmmmm.

Linda
Culture Club taught me love and acceptance and Weird Al taught me not to take life so seriously.
Radiogal1
Occasional

Post by Radiogal1 »

This kinda makes me appreciate this song even more.

Linda
Culture Club taught me love and acceptance and Weird Al taught me not to take life so seriously.
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

This is an easy one -- it took Al that long to get the permission from Ray Davies. Nothing is released offically without that.

Al was initially turned down by the publishers of the song, but Ray, fortunately, gave his consent (albeit 4 years later).
This means something. This is important.
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

The long wait between the demo version of "Yoda" recorded in 1981, and the album version recorded in 1985, can be blamed a little bit on Ray Davies' people, and a little bit on an inexperienced Al. Al didn't think he had the permission from Ray Davies. And Ray's people never even bothered checking with him. Al's learned over the years to go directly to the artist whenever possible and cut out the middle men.

J: With Yoda, you had to hold onto the song for five years, finally releasing it in 1985.

A: That wasn't a George Lucas thing, though.

J: Yeah, it was Ray Davies' people, wasn't it?

A: Yeah, it was more his people, actually. I've found that's happened a lot in the past. The artists' themselves does not have a problem with it, but their management, they're publisher whoever's protecting them just doesn't let it get through to them. Which is why, whenever I can, if I have any kind of direct conduit to an artist I try to talk to the artist personally because more often than not they're cool.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!