Dare To Be Stupid Review

Moderator: Moderators

Waffle King
Occasional

Re: Dare To Be Stupid Review

Post by Waffle King »

Probably my favorite album too.It pretty much encapsulates Al at his best.

1. Yoda. What can I say? It's a masterpiece. I always sort of winced at the line "The long term contract I had to sign-sez I'm be making these movies till the end of time-with my Yoda!" since, I'd kinda prefer he didn't "break the forth wall" and sang it straight.(like The Saga Begins) But with the upcoming Star Wars VII, it looks like Al was prophetic!

2. I Want A New Duck. Like the previous song, I actually like it better than the original (and I'm a Huey Lewis fan!). It's just a fun song with some clever wordplay.
3. This is the Life. I love the ragtimey music. I wish Al would attempt something in a similar genre (Jazz,maybe?) in the future. I'm also a sucker for songs where Al is obnoxious and looks down on everybody. (Hey,look at my screen name!)
4. Hooked on Polkas. One of my favorite polkas!
5. Slime Creatures from Outer Space. Kind of an overlooked tune. I like the "vacoder" or whatever it's called that Al sings through. Very ELO-esq.
6.Dare to be Stupid. Another of Al's great zany songs. "It's like they say you gotta buy one if you wanna get one free!"
7.Girls Just Want to Have Lunch. I actually think this one is pretty funny. The sound of disdain in Al's voice only makes it funnier!
8. Like a Surgeon. I'm not too big a fan of his medical songs,but this is probably my favorite. (After Pancreas)
9.One More Minute. I'm also of the opinion that this one is kinda overrated (I prefer YDLMA),but it's still great.
10.Cable TV. I like this one, as I love all Al's TV series/TV Addiction songs. But it's not as good as Couch Potato & Syndicated Inc
11. George of the Jungle. I don't dislike this one, but it's kinda weird not being a parody or polka,but a straight out singing of the song.
Back off me,man-back off.
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

1. Like a Surgeon
Awesome song by Al and a great video to boot! I give it a 5 out of 5.

2. Dare to Be Stupid
This song has grown on me over the years, but still not one of my favorite originals. It continues to grow on me. I give it a 4 out of 5.

3. I Want A New Duck
I think loving the original song sometimes helps you appreciate the parody even more. That's the way it is for me with this song. I love Huey Lewis & the News and I love 'I Want a New Drug'. Such a bizarre concept, wanting a new duck. Only Al, only Al. Love it! 5 out of 5!

4. One More Minute
I love Al's "love/relationship" songs. They are all so twisted, which is what makes them so great. This is my 2nd favorite relationship song, right behind 'You Don't Love Me Anymore'. I give it a 5 out of 5.

5. Yoda
I suppose that if Al got permission when he originally tried to get it, this would've been on the debut album. Which would've meant it would be closer to the demo version with more accordion, that a lot of fans seem to prefer. Ah well. Too bad. Being a Star Wars fan, I love this song. Nothing wrong with it as far as I'm concerned. 5 out of 5.

6. George of the Jungle
Eh. The George of the Jungle cover doesn't really excite me. Quite skippable. 2 out of 5 stars.

7. Slime Creatures From Outer Space
This is an ok song. I'm kind of neutral on it. Depends on what kind of mood I'm in whether I skip it or not. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

8. Girls Just Want To Have Lunch
Before I learned about Al not liking this song I was okay with it, thinking it was a middle of the road parody. It's strange, but learning about his dislike for this song actually caused me to like this song less. When I listen to his grating vocals I think, "He didn't have to do that". He was able to get close to Madonna's vocals on "LAS", he could've gotten closer to Lauper's vocals. Still, I don't dislike the song as much as Al does. 3 out of 5 stars.

9. This Is The Life
I like this song. It reminds me of Buckingham Blues, extolling the virtues of the easy life. Though, I think it's a much better song than Buckingham Blues. The song is very catchy and fun to listen to. It gets you movin'. It's better than the movie it's written for, as far as I'm concerned. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

10. Cable TV
It's a decent song of his. I don't think there is anything terribly unique about this song that makes it special. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

11. Hooked On Polkas
Polkas work better for me when I know and like the songs in them. I know most of the songs from this polka, so I probably like it more than some polkas. That being said, polkas are not songs I search for when listening to Al, so they all kind of average for me. I give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Overall, this album earns a 3.7 out of 5. Great ALbum!
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Seeing as it is the 30th Anniversary, I'll review this too!

1. Like A Surgeon - Brings me back to my childhood hearing this one, it'll be great to see a version of it live finally. Love how they made the bass and keys sound so much better than the original. Lyrics couldn't be better either. 10/10

2. Dare To Be Stupid - One of those songs that I can live by. One of those songs you can't find the proper words to sum up how great it is. Deep down everybody loves this one! 10/10

3. I Want A New Duck - This is just an incredible parody where again I think the guitar sounds so much better than the original and the lyrics make me happy and always put in a great mood. Definitely one of my favorite parodies from this album! 10/10

4. One More Minute - This album's first five tracks really hit you hard and this is one of my favorite love ballads. Rivals You Don't Love Me Anymore but instead of great acoustic arrangements you get some amazing back up vocals. Really mastered an amazing sound with everything here, especially the vocals. Only Al can write like this, only Al! 10/10

5. Yoda - Arguably the greatest parody Al has ever recorded. Have loved this one since hearing it for the first time when I was a little spud, maybe 4 or 5. As I got older I really enjoyed the guitar more and realized how much better it sounded to me compared to the original. Tone is way better.These lyrics are pure gold and as we all know this will never leave the set. Probably the greatest Star Wars song ever written by any band ever!! 10/10

6. George Of The Jungle - Guess they are fans. Nice homage to the show but really just filler. 6/10

7. Slime Creatures From Outer Space - Another original I love that really captures the way the band can sound like no other on earth. Wicked guitar tone here and the little solo tickles me. My favorite song about outer space and aliens. That bass line is sweet too, what a gifted musician Steve is, always slaps the bass so right! 10/10

8. Girls Just Want To Have Lunch - Whether he was asked to do this or not it is a pretty funny parody. Love what they did with the back up vocals here, Steve's voice just makes it so good. 9/10

9. This Is The Life - This songs insane. The piano playing is impeccable as is Jim's blazing solo. Love the video and have been trying to find Johnny Dangerously in a movie bin for sometime but no such luck. The lyrics are certainly amazingly well thought up and delivered. Nothing bad you can say about this song unless you just don't like genius musicianship all around! 10/10

10. Cable TV - Oh yeah, Cable TV, what a track. Another one I'd love to hear done live and this song is catchy and hilarious. It's got it all. 10/10

11. Hooked On Polkas - Some of my more favorite polkafied songs from that era. It is short and sweet but the accordion is some of the best. Love the bang your head Quiet Riot part and the drum tracks here! Listen closely to the drums right near the end, oh man what a sound Bermuda laid down there! :magic: 10/10

This is the real breakthrough album, though it is rather short compared to the later stuff and I could listen a million times, looking forward to finally hearing Dare To Be Stupid live this Friday. Album rating, a couple of weaker songs that still rule don't ruin an album for me so I'd still give it a 10/10. Was going to say 9/10 but I could never do better in a million years! :peace:
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
weirdalrocks
Obsessed

Post by weirdalrocks »

1. Like A Surgeon - This song has my favorite Weird Al music video of all time and even without the music video it's still one of his best parodies of all time. 10/10

2. Dare to be Stupid - This song is my favorite one of the album. This song has so many jokes and all of them make me laugh hard no matter how many times I listen to it and the lyrics are just so bizarre. 10/10

3. I Want a New Duck - I don't know if I would consider this one underrated, but it's definitely one of his more overlooked parodies. The way he parodies the original song is hilarious and I love the duck pate line. 10/10

4. One More Minute - This is another song I used to find this song depressing, but now I love the hell out of it. I love the whole build up to it where it starts off as a simple break-up song, but then he takes it to the next level by burning down the malt shop just because it reminds him of his ex. This song is dark humor at it's best and I love the extreme examples of how he'd rather do anything else than spend another minute with her. It's just genius. 10/10

5. Yoda - How could anyone not love this parody? While I do think Lola is slightly better although to be fair it is a hard song to top, it is still the perfect parody of the song. Also that one lyric where he says "The long-term contract I had to sign
Says I'll be making these movies till the end of time" is even funnier now considering that there's a new Star Wars movie coming out this year. 10/10

6. George of the Jungle - I could explain this song in one word: Filler! It is amusing to hear Weird Al do a jungle cry and George hitting the tree was funny, but in the end it's just him singing the theme song. 6/10

7. Slime Creatures From Outer Space - Luckily this album picks up very quick with this gem of a song. The sound effects are great, Weird Al's vocals capture the tone of the song perfectly and it has some great lines like "I just shampoo'd the rug." 10/10

8. Girls Just Want to Have Lunch - You know, I think I used to consider this one of Al's weaker songs at the time and even Weird Al himself considers this to be one of his least favorite songs. Looking back at it now, it's starting to grow on me. I personally like the voice he uses for this song and don't find it annoying at all and it does have it's funny lyrics. Far from the best song he's ever done, but it's certainly not the worst. 8/10

9. This is the Life - I love this song so much. The lyrics are hilarious, the style of the song is great and I love the random and out of place guitar solo, tap-dancing and recording scratching. 10/10

10. Cable TV - Possibly the best song on TV that Al has done. Not much to say about besides it being hilarious and that it has a catchy chorus. 10/10

11. Hooked on Polkas - Even better than the first polka. I love the collection of songs for it and the 99 Luftballons bit is just awesome. 10/10

This album right here is Weird Al's first masterpiece. Almost all of the songs are great and some of the songs on this album are my favorite songs of his. While it does have George of the Jungle, it's just an average song and it does not affect the quality of this album at all. This is a fantastic album and it's one of his best albums of all time. 10/10

Now the next album is Polka Party and SPOILER ALERT: My response to that album isn't going to be favorable.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Don't be a hater. Polka Party rules. :devil: :accordion:
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
YankoSwag 8888
Obsessed
Awards: All of them

Post by YankoSwag 8888 »

Favourite Song: Like A Surgeon
Favourite Original: One More Minute
Favourite Parody: Like A Surgeon
Funniest Song: Like A Surgeon
Least Favourite Song: Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

9/10