Dare To Be Stupid

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2004 10:45 am

Dare To Be Stupid

Post by SailorBarsoom »

Hi guys!
I have a really strange question, and I thought maybe someone here would know. About a minute into the video for Dare to be Stupid, there is a three-second clip of a video that looks like it's from the sixties. People are using this contraption that looks like two huge Hula-Hoops parallel to each other, held together by cross-beams. They're standing in the center holding on to the braces and spinning around. I know that description makes no sense, but I was hoping someone here has seen the video and knows what the heck those things are called. Seriously! This is driving me nuts; no one I know has any idea what I'm talking about, and I can't find a picture unless I can figure out what it's called.
As you may have guessed, I am now on a mission to find one of these things. They look like a blast!

User avatar
Silver Suit Afficianado
Posts: 27353
Joined: Fri Aug 09, 2002 2:50 am
Location: Permanent state of Al Induced Haze, since 9/9/03.

Post by scottidog »

I don't know what they are called, but they were a real thing. My guess is that the footage is from the old Movie Newsreels.

Welcome aboard!

User avatar
Be jealous.
Posts: 20556
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2003 1:47 am
Awards: Best Signature
Location: Denver, Colorado

Post by Driew_La_27 »

SailorBarsoom @ Mar 22 2004, 03:47 PM wrote: but I was hoping someone here has seen the video and knows what the heck those things are called.
Sorry, us crazed Al fans have never seen that video. :P

Just kidding. I know what you're talking about, but I don't know what it is. I'm only 15. ;)
In hiding since 2010

User avatar
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated
Posts: 19670
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:53 am
Location: Seattle

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

I've seen them before but I don't know anything about them.
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Posts: 2204
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:27 pm
Location: St. Petersburg, Russia

Post by Seva »


"Synonym" is an anthonym for "homonym".

User avatar
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated
Posts: 11156
Joined: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:58 am
Location: Lynwood, CA

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I have no idea what those things are called. The only time I've seen them is in Al's video.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.

User avatar
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated
Posts: 25029
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2003 3:49 am
Location: Here

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I don't know what they're called either. This sounds like one for Dr. Dad!

Posts: 1256
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:43 pm
Location: california

Post by kidcid »

I think it's called a human gyroscope. you can see one here.
Is that what your looking for?

The Sporkman
Posts: 910
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:29 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Post by The Sporkman »

I don't think that's exactly the same thing; the human gyroscope appears to be suspended while the contraptions in the video freely rolled about the ground.

User avatar
Thanks, Patti!
Posts: 53948
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2001 2:00 am
Location: ALgonac, MI

Post by algonacchick »

No, that's not it, but that is cool! It looks more like two giant metal hoops that are parellel to each other, connected by straight metal rods. *I just watched the video* I can't do screen captures on my compy anymore, so I can't show you. If anyone can, please help us!

4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325

Post Reply