Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Moderator: Moderators

Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

Bruce the Duck @ Jan 12 2004, 04:33 AM wrote: Scottidog, you don't need to get defensive over it (Mama Bear?). I'm not critisizing Al for it. In fact, if he DID deliberately create a song below his ability level, I wouldn't blame him. In all of the other songs on DTBS, he did them to the best of his ability and most of them became instant classics because of it. However, GJWHL has always seemed out of place on that album because it is so inferior to the others.

Yes, there are a few decent jokes in the song, but nothing in comparison to the quality of LAS, IWAND, or the originals on the album. Even Yoda, which was written long before the album came out was much better than GJWHL.
I couldn't have said it any better myself. GJWHL is one of the weakest tracks Al has ever done, not just on DTBS.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Yes, he has hits and misses, but I think it's not a coincidence that this particular "miss" was forced.
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

I can't imagine Al doing a bad song on purpose (with the possible exception of Let Me Be Your Hog) but I don't think he tried as hard as he might have to make a good song when it came to sending up Ms. Lauper.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Re the music isn't as good, wouldn't that be because of TBITB?
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

I've been asked about this before, and here's what I think happened. (THis is just speculation so don't quote me on it.)

!) AL records all the originals for DTBS
2) AL writes and records parodies and a release date is announced.
3) stupid idiotic record label says "Hey Al, if you don't record a CL parody, we won't release the ALbum"
4) AL pouts, comes up with the idea for"Calling in Sick" that would be recorded later
5) at the last minute, in order to appease stupid idiotic record label (and remain in his contract) Al comes up with this song.
6) in order to meet street date, AL must record and mix GJWHL in one day, which leads to the sound that it has.

Like I said, I may be wrong, but I think it's a nice theory at least...

Harold
GO BILLS!!!
yo
Die-hard Fan

Post by yo »

I don't think Al would've done something badly purposefully because he was mad at the record company. Even if he did, he still recorded the song and I like it. I don't find anything wrong with it at all.

P.S. Why'd the last message mention "Calling In Sick"? Where's that fall in here?
?
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

yo @ Jan 13 2004, 12:07 AM wrote: P.S. Why'd the last message mention "Calling In Sick"? Where's that fall in here?
It may be that Al had the idea for Callin In Sick originally around that time. But I highly doubt that, because if it was really that old, it could (should) have been on an earlier album. It's certainly better than Toothless People.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kidcid
Obsessed

Post by kidcid »

yo @ Jan 12 2004, 11:07 PM wrote: P.S. Why'd the last message mention "Calling In Sick"? Where's that fall in here?
Um, I think that's a joke. Al was fed -up with his own work (ie record company) and so he wanted to call in sick. Hence the inspiration for the song. I don't think it was ment in a literal way, that he actually came up with it before doing the Cyndi Lauper song. Just a joke thrown in for amusement.
Just my guess
Cid
%
yo
Die-hard Fan

Post by yo »

Oh. :rolleyes: Yo, yo, wake up.
?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

anthontherun @ Jan 12 2004, 09:34 PM wrote: Re the music isn't as good, wouldn't that be because of TBITB?
No, no, I think we meant "not written well" and not "not performed well."

~OE, getting all tied up in nots. :o
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.