Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch

Moderator: Moderators

Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

Believe it or not, I had no idea Al was pressured into doing this parody until I read this thread just now. Does anyone know where I could read more about that?

Personally, I always thought this was one of his most underrated songs. Yes, his voice is obnoxious but it was clearly intentional. Was it because he didn't want to do the song or because he thought it would add to the humor? I don't know, but I think it was the latter because it certainly makes me laugh. I may be looking too deep into this, but I always thought he was poking fun at the notion some guys have that they know just what a girl wants. Singing it in that voice makes it even funnier.

Also, Mike's musical hands are very well done in terms of matching the keyboard sounds of the original (and that stuff isn't easy). The whole song is just so stupid, and that's why it's so funny. I love it.
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I wonder if Scotti Bros. got permission from Cyndi Lauper before pressering Al. I wonder what would have happend if Scotti Bros. forced Al to do a Cyndi Lauper parody, and then she refused to grant permission.

I was confused when I first knew that this song wasn't included on The Food Album. But I really like the song. It's better than Slime Creatures from Outer Space. I also like the voice Al uses. It sounds like an impression of Oscar the Grouch.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

I think the voice was just a result of Al's annoyance at being told to do a song.
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

Here's something that I've been wondering recently. Was Cyndi Lauper listed in the "special thanks" section? Since Al didn't want to do a parody, it would be funny if he could have put her in a seperate "special thanks" section, the sarcastic/ ungrateful kind.
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

Well she didnt write the song, so he really didnt need to thank her. She rewrote it slightly to fit her needs. Imagine the nerve of someone, rewriting someone elses lyrics. <_<
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Twinkies Are Yucky
Obsessed
Awards: honor roll 2002

Post by Twinkies Are Yucky »

I know. What kind of horrible person would do such a thing?
weirdal56206
Addicted

Post by weirdal56206 »

the nerve off some people :rolleyes:
btw i love this song
DonnaNoble
Off The Deep End

Post by DonnaNoble »

I'll admit, this isn't my favorite Al song (This is coming from a person who LIKES Toothless People)

While I don't know if Al intenionaly made it bad to spite the record lable, you definatly don't "hear the love" in this song... At least I don't...

I would say "Al probably doesn't work well under others ideas" but "Like A Sergon" was Madonnas idea, if i recal correctly... So maybe its more "Al CAN work with ideas that arn't his, he just has to like them"

He probably didn't want to parody ANY of her music, and kinda settled for GJWHL, and Al says he is a perfectionist, so setteling for something probably kind of made him mad. This MAY have resulted in a half hearted attempt at a song he realy didn't want to do in the first place...

Oh, heres another idea that just poped into my head... Maybe he felt realy pressured by his company (because he REALY wanted another album) so he was stressed while making it. Being stressed may have caused inferior quality... I dunno
Or maybe I read negitive feedback on the song BEFORE hearing the song, clouding my vision... the world may never know....
Oh snap!
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

The song's eh. I just think it's funny when they make him record a song, to see the reactions he sends in. They wanted a cover, so he did George of the Jungle. They wanted a Christmas song, we got Christmas at Ground Zero. Both of those songs I liked.

I'd say he honestly didn't want to do it, they made him. He couldn't really come up with great lyrics, and we suffered in the end. I'm just glad he didn't put it on The Food Album.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

I'm probably wrong, but I think I read that Al was told to include a song of hers, and he chose the song to parody.

I enjoyed this song for years and years and didn't know of Al's resentment and the baggage attached to the song until a few years ago. That made me sad :( And it's too bad. This is one of the songs that made me lol every time I heard it and/or played it for others. I still think it's a wonderful song.