One More Minute Live

Moderator: Moderators

TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Re: One More Minute Live

Post by TMBJon »

weird_el wrote:I saw the Poodle Hat Tour in July 2003. He wasn't doing OMM then.
Hmm, I saw the Poodle Hat Tour on July 19, 2003, and he did perform both songs. :think:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I saw the Poodle Hat Tour on June 22 2003 and September 5 2003. He played both songs at both shows and both of them were audience interaction songs.
And Peggy
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I've seen the footage from his 9/9/03 Puyallup, WA fair gig and both songs were played as audience interaction songs. Also, by that point his intro to OMM was simply asking the audience to "request" the next song. By then, I believe that he had dropped the parent/anecdote bot which (from footage I've seen) just consisted of him trying to setup a story his mom told him but never getting to it because Ruben was playing an obnoxiously intrusive piano riff over him until Al walked over and poked him in the eye or "shot" him with a cap gun. I had heard they stopped playing it because they had gotten sick of beat it into the ground those 20 years and Al just wanted a newer fresher song like WBUL to be the audience interaction number. I do think that it should make a comeback, though.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I agree, not like he has to leave the stage for OMM. Guess they were doing that cap gun gag for a long time 'cause it is on the TWS DVD. My guess is they did both for a while and then figured yeah, we've done OMM for so long, we are all comfortable scrapping it since WBUL was going over so well.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

WBUL started out as an on stage only performance. Basically he'd walk back and forth across the stage and stare at or point at women in the audience as he delivered each line. Then slowly he started doing more audience interaction, and it was just a natural progression and he started going out into the audience. Not sure when the first time was but if someone want to go through the old concert reviews here, they should be able to figure it out.

I'm guessing he did it mostly because it felt right, but also because there weren't enough women in the first couple rows for all the lines, and going out in the audience gives him more options. Plus going out in the audience always gets a big reaction and he may have also realized the opportunity to eventually retire OMM. So, for a while, it was him going out in the audience for OMM, then a couple songs later he's be back out in the audience again for WBUL basically doing the same thing again. So WBUL became the audience participation song, and OMM was retired at the end of the tour.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
Elvis
Be jealous.
Awards: Best Admin

Post by Elvis »

There's some pictures up on weirdal.com here--> http://weirdal.com/archives/photos/on-s ... stage/2003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Row 5 column 2 at the end with him pointing the microphone (at me!) is from SLO on 6/22/03. He was still on stage full time for that concert, though that was probably one of the first instances of audience participation beyond singing to the ladies.

He was still on stage full time for Philadelphia on 7/19/03 but he was kind of in the audience because walked along that raised wall that they have around the pit area, though his feet never touched the ground.

Row 2, columns 1 and 3 show him on stage for Cincinnati on 7/27/03 and Chicago on 7/26/03 respectively, but they appear to be from points in the song where he would usually be on stage anyway.

Row 1 column 2 shows him in the audience at Valdosta, GA on 8/9/03 so he first went in the audience sometime between 7/20 and 8/9 inclusive.

Dave
UFLM! Unverified Fan Lives Matter!
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

Nice find elvis!

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
joseyklein
Obsessed

Post by joseyklein »

I wonder if bermuda could confirm or deny why OMM is no longer played.. this has turned into an interesting conversation

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk
...our neighbors septic tank was the closest thing we had..
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

I wish I could remember OMM in 2003. It's my favorite Al song.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

It would make a great addition to the Acoustic Medley...
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.