Polka Party

Moderator: Moderators

Way_Moby
Obsessed

Re: Polka Party

Post by Way_Moby »

I think the biggest reason that "Polka Party" failed was the fact that, to be honest, the parodies suck.

OK, I like "Addicted to Spuds" and "Living With a Hernia." Beautiful. They can stay. But "Toothless People" and "Here's Johnny" are not that funny. I was just looking at this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_in_mu ... it_singles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1985_in_mu ... it_singles" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only "Rock Me Amadeus" and "Papa Don't Preach" appear ANYWHERE on Al's album (and only in the medley). I think parodies of "The Final Countdown," "Rock Me Amadeus," "We Are the World," "Shout," or "Take On Me" could've been HYSTERICAL! If only Al could've recorded a parody of one of them bad boys. "Polka Party!" would've rocked!
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

I think the album title and cover was also a factor. Come on. That's a terrible name for an album and we all know it. Nobody looked at it and thought, "gee, that looks like something I should buy."
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I think the cover is funny, but yeah, the title sucks. I think it should've been something unique like "Even Worse" or "In 3-D."
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

As I said above, this was supposed to be the album with the parody of "When Doves Cry" that never came to be. I think a triple whammy of Michael Jackson, Madonna, and Prince back to back would have put Al's career into a totally different place. Who knows what would have happened next. I have to say, while Polka Party's tracks are relatively weaker than his other 80s material, I think what made this album a commercial failure was quite simply the lackluster lead single.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
JCM
Off The Deep End
Awards: Most Annoying User

Post by JCM »

Well, maybe Prince has loosened up and will allow a parody the next time Al asks. It's so depressing to see The Artist Formerly Known As' music untouched.
How old was that last signature? I mean, really?
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

He hasn't loosened up. In fact, just last week he declared that he no longer wants anyone to even cover his songs.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

JCM wrote:Well, maybe Prince has loosened up and will allow a parody the next time Al asks. It's so depressing to see The Artist Formerly Known As' music untouched.
Never.
JCM
Off The Deep End

Post by JCM »

TMBJon wrote:He hasn't loosened up. In fact, just last week he declared that he no longer wants anyone to even cover his songs.
If this is one of the most influential people in the world, I do not want to live in this world. :(
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I think Toothless People is an awesome parody! I'm sure Mick Jagger didn't mind it either. Here's Johnny has always made me laugh and I dont think the album would be quite as good without it. The last two tracks on the album are the weakest IMO, but you gotta be insane not to love Christmas At Ground Zero. But I like all the other tracks alot more.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
JCM
Off The Deep End

Post by JCM »

Yankomaniac wrote:I think Toothless People is an awesome parody! I'm sure Mick Jagger didn't mind it either. Here's Johnny has always made me laugh and I dont think the album would be quite as good without it.
I know you're entitled to your opinion and all, but you can't be serious. :blink: