Was Christmas At Ground Zero banned from some stations?

Moderator: Moderators

Wild Gunman
Occasional

Was Christmas At Ground Zero banned from some stations?

Post by Wild Gunman »

Someone told me that Christmas At Ground Zero was banned from some radio stations! Is this true and if it is, why?
WHAT CAN YOU DO?

DARE TO BE STUPID!!! @_@
Smegabyte
Occasional

Post by Smegabyte »

Yes, it was banned.

As to why...well...I guess some folks don't like to hear about nuclear war while they're sitting down to Christmas dinner.

Go figure.

Smegabyte
Diva
Addicted

Post by Diva »

Was CAGZ on the infamous and apocryphal ClearChannel list of songs not to be played on their stations after 9/11?

Cheers, Diva

chatty today
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

No, it wasn't on the Clear Channel list. But, I did notice it wasn't played on any of Dr Demento's Christmas themed shows last year. First time in a long time that's been the case.

El
MichaelJackson2003
Occasional

Post by MichaelJackson2003 »

was it canceled? does that mean that they don't like Weird AL or he ofended the radio stations?
Sorry Clod some secrets stay with us forever!
haroldwaide
Regular

Post by haroldwaide »

I don't think he offended any radio stations. I think that the good doctor was trying to be sympathetic to those people that lost a loved one in the tragedy of September 11th.

You have to realise that the Christmas shows aired less then ten weeks after the attack and a lot of people didn't have closure yet.

The World Trade Center was commonly referred to as "ground zero" by the media, and I don't think anyone wanted to talk about nuclear bombs going off during Christmas at "ground zero"

Maybe by Christmas this year people will be more open to the humor that is in that song and it will be back on the Doctor Demento show. On the other hand, it might be five, or even twenty-seven years before people are ready to hear it again.

Harold
Wild Gunman
Occasional

Post by Wild Gunman »

Ah hello? The person who told me said it was banned when it was released
WHAT CAN YOU DO?

DARE TO BE STUPID!!! @_@
Karen
Occasional

Post by Karen »

Ah hello? The person who told me said it was banned when it was released

I don't think that C@GZ was banned since it's release. It was played on Dr. D. for quite some time, the only exception I know of is this past Christmas season. My favorite alternative station used to play songs like C@GZ and TNSWC-EGV around Christmastime every year before they started playing Howard Stern's show. I doubt that they would have played either song this year because of 9/11.

Karen
Johnnytimewarp
Occasional

Post by Johnnytimewarp »

It wasn't banned on my station...because WFCS 107.7 FM New Britain-Hartford is a COLLEGE station and we don't have to follow anyone's rules!!! The song was a centerpiece of my annual "Christmas Abortion Special". I played TNSWC too...
"Lethal Luke" Bannon
Occasional

Post by "Lethal Luke" Bannon »

I heard that it was banned by some stations, but I'm not too sure. I'm not surprised as it's hardly an appropriate Xmas song, and is my least favourite Al song.
I like Weird Al- he's more intelligent then me

Soap's more intelligent then you!