Christmas At Ground Zero

Moderator: Moderators

squishsquashgirl
Obsessed

Post by squishsquashgirl »

I think that this has been brought up before.......
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Yeah, it has, sorry

forum/index.php?showtopic=2758
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

So this will be a merge. Thanks for looking that up, Dingo.
scottidog
Silver Suit Afficianado

Post by scottidog »

I actually came in to ask a question...

I have read that this song has something to do with Phil Spector and his "wall of sound." Can someone explain that to me?
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

scottidog @ Jan 14 2004, 06:02 AM wrote: I have read that this song has something to do with Phil Spector and his "wall of sound."  Can someone explain that to me?
Well, the "wall of sound" is the name given to Spector's extremely lush production arrangements (think of all the strings on "Let It Be" for example). Where C@GZ is concerned, this album might give a hint of what Al was trying to send up.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

scottidog @ Jan 14 2004, 12:58 AM wrote: So this will be a merge. Thanks for looking that up, Dingo.
Ooooh, okay, neat!

And by the way, as of this reply, there's 27 votes :bigups:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Well, OE, the strings on "Let It Be" might be a good example of what the wall of sound is like, but that's not Phil Spector. That album you linked to is a better example, since that is Phil Spector. A good example of a non-Christmas song that has the wall of sound is "Will You Still love Me Tomorrow", as performed by The Shirelles. Lots of strings on that version. Anyway, I heard a few of the songs that are on that Phil Spector Christmas album over the holidays, and they did remind me of CAGZ. Oh, and CAGZ is really growing on me. But I only like listening during the holidays, while I can listen to TNSWC anytime. hehe!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Genius in Maine
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Genius in Maine »

algonacchick @ Jan 14 2004, 12:37 PM wrote: Oh, and CAGZ is really growing on me. But I only like listening during the holidays, while I can listen to TNSWC anytime. hehe!

Patti
I got both PP and BHD during summer, about a year apart, with mixed results. While TNSWC instantly became one of my faves, I didn't listen to PP regularly until about two years after I got it. Now, of course, I like it a lot, especially CAGZ.
http://www.last.fm/user/geniusinmaine" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Katoot
Occasional

Post by Katoot »

I don't really remember what my initial reaction to C@GZ was, since the first time I heard it was in the late eighties, I believe, leaving me in the mid-upper single digits, age-wise. I'm pretty sure that I thought it was very funny, cause I kinda remember it being one of my favorite songs back in the day (it still is, but I've aquired many, many more favorite songs). I'd have to say that I like C@GZ more than TNSWC, but I'm not sure why.

As for a subject that was briefly mentioned in I believe Sarley's post, I'd have to say my favorite SP X-Mas song would have to be "Dead, Dead, Dead." It's kinda along the same lines as C@GZ, basically enjoy the holidays, "cause someday you'll be dead." It's on Mr. Hankey's Christmas Classics cd, which I just got this past holiday season, but I'm almost positive I've heard it before. I just can't remember where I heard it.

Anyways, Happy Belated Christmas everybody!
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Awesome! Everyone knows what my favorite verse is...I posted it in like 10 different topics...cool song!
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;