Dog Eat Dog

Moderator: Moderators

JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Dog Eat Dog

Post by JEDM »

Wow... first "Melanie", and now "Dog Eat Dog". :huh: Both beloved songs that never had topics. I remember trying to jam film back in my camera during this song back in 2004. Ah, good times. :)
JEDM
Deliriously Dedicated

Re: Dog Eat Dog

Post by JEDM »

Every other song had a topic, but not this one? :blink:
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

LOVE Dog Eat Dog. I remember I used to hear "corporate ladder" as "culprit ladder" when I was younger, so the song really confused me. :P

Definitely a favorite of mine, though!
And Peggy
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Big Spoon wrote:LOVE Dog Eat Dog. I remember I used to hear "corporate ladder" as "culprit ladder" when I was younger, so the song really confused me. :P
I was more confused by phrase in the title. Why is he singing about a dog eating another dog? What does that have to do with anything? :lol: Hey, I was ten.
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

I knew the phrase from Sheep In The Big City. They said it was a "dog eat dog world" and then cut to a dog swallowing another dog whole. My dad explained the joke to me.
And Peggy
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

One of Al's great '80s style parodies, no doubt. I remember playing this one for my family and my dad saying "wow, he really does sound like the groups he imitates". My mom had to ask who he was "imitating" here, of course, but my dad hit the nail right on the head when he said it was Talking Heads.
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
avesjohn
Obsessed

Post by avesjohn »

This song has really grown on me in the last year or so, and due both to its title and the subject matter, I'm planning on featuring it in a werewolf story I'll write someday. (Unlike the vampire novel that precedes it, in which the vampires will only be revealed halfway through a la From Dusk Till Dawn, I'll be very upfront about the werewolf presence in the sequel, with half the songs in the soundtrack having dog or wolf in the title - songs like Zeppelin's "Black Dog", Duran Duran's "Hungry Like The Wolf", and even Baha Men's "Who Let The Dogs Out". In case the last song wasn't a giveaway, this will be a rather comedic story, though still with horror and action/adventure elements.)

As for the song itself, it's catchy, captures the spirit of Talking Heads well, and really deserved a topic sooner than this.
Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Dog Eat Dog may very well be the first Al song I ever heard.

There's no real way of telling for sure without time travel (And I can't do that.....YET :lookaround: ), but it's definitely the first one I heard and have memories of hearing it. On a car trip up to a place my family used to vacation in in the mountains every year.
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I'm not really sure where this belongs, but I was listening to one of my favorite Talking Heads songs tonight, "Totally Nude," which comes from the first (and only) TH album released following Polka Party! I've listened to this song dozens of times but never realized before that the phrase "polka party" is actually part of the lyrics. I know Al didn't come up with the phrase, but it seems kind of curious that it would show up on a TH album right after Al style-parodies them on an album by that name.
Big Spoon
Welp.
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)

Post by Big Spoon »

Wow, never picked up on that before! And I'm definitely a Talking Heads fan.
And Peggy