Moderator: Moderators

Dani_polkarox
Occasional

Post by Dani_polkarox »

I have no friends and no money!!! :D :P :Y :ph34r:
AlGal
Occasional

Post by AlGal »

My fav part of "Fat" is when he says " Ham on, ham on whole wheat: alright"...and someone hands him a ham sandwich on whole wheat bread! :lol:
"Oh Ricky, what's a girl like me supposed to do
You really drive me wild when you sing your babaloo"
WrdAlYnkvc27

Post by WrdAlYnkvc27 »

I never relised that... that's funny.

I dont get the part when Al starts flying in the video. Ya kno, when the camera starts spinning and he grabs on and...like...fly...
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

I think he's supposed to be spinning on the turnstyle. He falls off it when he's done. hehe!

Patti
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
AlGal
Occasional

Post by AlGal »

What I don't get is the part where he's re-entering the subway station and he's got a card on his hand, looks at it, screams and throws it to the side! Is that a fortune teller thing, his weight>>> What o what?
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

You mean near the end?? It's a mouse trap! It snaps down on his fingers, so he yells. Sort of his explanation as to why Michael yelled in the Bad video.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Dr_Dad
Obsessed

Post by Dr_Dad »

WrdAlYnkvc27 @ Oct 2 2004, 04:51 PM wrote: I dont get the part when Al starts flying in the video. Ya kno, when the camera starts spinning and he grabs on and...like...fly...
algonacchick @ Oct 2 2004, 06:24 PM wrote: I think he's supposed to be spinning on the turnstyle. He falls off it when he's done. hehe!

Patti

Actually, it's because if you watch that part of the "Bad" video, Michael is continually staring at the camera lens and singing as the camera spins in a circle around him, just like Al does initially in the similar scene. Al of course [as usual] takes it a step further, imagining what would happen if Michael couldn't keep up with the cameraman spinning around him. So Al grabs the camera as the cameraman "spins" fast enough to lift Al up off his feet, eventually flying off screen at the end of the scene.

And yes, Patti's right -- the part near the end where Al yells occurs because inexplicably at that moment in the "Bad" video, Michael Jackson lets out a loud "HAAAWWW!!". Al figures the reason it happened is that Michael got his hand caught in a mousetrap.

Although I strongly recommend viewing ALL of the original videos being parodied regardless, this is one video where viewing the original and then viewing Al's version really brings a much MUCH deeper appreciation of Al's talent for detail in his parodies. Because of that attention to detail, "Fat" is my favorite Al video hands down. If you view these one after the other, your jaw will drop as you realize the amount of minutia Al captured from "Bad" in "Fat" [for instance, both have an Asian dancer with a Japanese flag-type bandana ... or find why Al goes "Woo!" three times in a row ...].

In fact, this "Bad" video started out as a 16 minute mini-movie[!!] directed by none other than legendary "Goodfellas" director Martin Scorsese! [And if you DO see this long version of "Bad", you will understand and appreciate the beginning sequence in black and white of "Fat" SO much better!! Like the "Is that what they teach you in that little sissy school of yours?" line ... :lol: ] Go find "Bad" on launch.com, or buy one of the MJ compilation video releases ["Michael Jackson - Video Greatest Hits - HIStory", for instance, has the entire "Bad" video-movie]. Trust me; even if you don't like MJ, watching "Beat It" and "Bad" will deepen your admiration of "Eat It" and "Fat", especially for the under-25 crowd here. Watch "Bad", and you'll understand why the "Fat" video won Al a Grammy.

It's THAT worth it.

Enjoy! :)

Doc
Bee bomp a chonk a donk bim bang boo !!
AlGal
Occasional

Post by AlGal »

algonacchick @ Oct 2 2004, 07:24 PM wrote: You mean near the end?? It's a mouse trap! It snaps down on his fingers, so he yells. Sort of his explanation as to why Michael yelled in the Bad video.
:o I need glasses!
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles
Off The Deep End

Post by TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles »

Dr_Dad @ Oct 2 2004, 09:34 PM wrote:

Actually, it's because if you watch that part of the "Bad" video, Michael is continually staring at the camera lens and singing as the camera spins in a circle around him, just like Al does initially in the similar scene. Al of course [as usual] takes it a step further, imagining what would happen if Michael couldn't keep up with the cameraman spinning around him. So Al grabs the camera as the cameraman "spins" fast enough to lift Al up off his feet, eventually flying off screen at the end of the scene.

And yes, Patti's right -- the part near the end where Al yells occurs because inexplicably at that moment in the "Bad" video, Michael Jackson lets out a loud "HAAAWWW!!". Al figures the reason it happened is that Michael got his hand caught in a mousetrap.

Although I strongly recommend viewing ALL of the original videos being parodied regardless, this is one video where viewing the original and then viewing Al's version really brings a much MUCH deeper appreciation of Al's talent for detail in his parodies. Because of that attention to detail, "Fat" is my favorite Al video hands down. If you view these one after the other, your jaw will drop as you realize the amount of minutia Al captured from "Bad" in "Fat".

In fact, this "Bad" video started out as a 16 minute mini-movie[!!] directed by none other than legendary "Goodfellas" director Martin Scorsese! [And if you DO see this long version of "Bad", you will understand and appreciate the beginning sequence in black and white of "Fat" SO much better!! Like the "Is that what they teach you in that little sissy school of yours?" line ... :lol: ] Go find "Bad" on launch.com, or buy one of the MJ compilation video releases ["Michael Jackson - Video Greatest Hits - HIStory", for instance, has the entire "Bad" video-movie]. Trust me; even if you don't like MJ, watching "Beat It" and "Bad" will deepen your admiration of "Eat It" and "Fat", especially for the under-25 crowd here. It's THAT worth it.

Enjoy! :)

Doc
Wow.

You're like Jim Hill.

:P
The Office: NBC, Thursdays at 9.
If you're not watching, you're doing yourself great injustice.
CatraDhtem
Off The Deep End

Post by CatraDhtem »

WrdAlYnkvc27 @ Oct 2 2004, 05:51 PM wrote: I dont get the part when Al starts flying in the video. Ya kno, when the camera starts spinning and he grabs on and...like...fly...
That's actually my favorite part in the whole video.

It's not my favorite, but I agree with our resident doctor that "Fat" is perhaps Al's most consistently funny video (or, maybe, at least tied with "Nirvana"). It is such a nonstop barrage of jokes, be it visual or in the lyrics, and amazingly every joke works.

Even in some of Al's funniest videos like "Like a Surgeon" there's usually a shot or two that's not quite on par with the rest of the video (in the example I just mentioned, I think the second lion shot and Al's extended "gliding" at the end qualify), but not in "Fat." It's the kind of video that I would love to see the storyboard for.
TheMeccaOfAlbinoPoodles @ Oct 2 2004, 10:15 PM wrote: Wow.
You're like Jim Hill.
Never say that. Not even in jest. :stern:
All Things Yankovic
http://www.dohtem.com/al" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Can't breathe like that, can you??"

Make the Rock Hall "Weird" - http://www.rockhallweird.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;