Airline Amy

Moderator: Moderators

KyeKee12

Post by KyeKee12 »

i love this song! it is great song, almost a classic. 8/10 stars :)
Violence is not the answer... its a temporary solution ;)

LALALA~ Nice Lady~~
sailorsilver84
Obsessed

Post by sailorsilver84 »

Nature Trail to Hell shocked me when I first heard it because, well, Al said "hell". I'm adverse to cursing and it was the first time I was disappointed by Al. I've had to learn to cover my virgin ears and skip the track.
Inu-Yasha & Tetsusaiga...it's a bishie thing!
I know a man w/a wooden leg named Smith!
What's the name of his other leg?
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

But is it really cursing, Sailor? I mean, he is using the word as in reference to that "bad place" ... even priests and people of high, religious and moral values use the word Hell to describe that place ... because that is its name. It's really no worse than saying France or Albuquerque, if you think about it like that. And it really does sound better than saying "Nature Trail to Heck" (especially since Heck isn't even a real place, so how could you have a trail to it?).

Anyway, I just think you should cut him some slack ... and unplug your ears ... and listen to it. But, that's just my opinion. :)
PMFL!
Insert Coin(s) to Continue
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Insert Coin(s) to Continue »

Hell isn't cursing at all. It should be used in every conversation you have atleast 5 times :P
Cane and Rinse: weekly thoughtful video game discussion. Give it a listen, won't you?
http://caneandrinse.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
samuraisumo
Off The Deep End

Post by samuraisumo »

If used as a place, it is okay. Other uses are not as cool. That's my thoughts. It is still my favorite song originally done by him.
My friends call me Sumo.

Al team member 62!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

There's no denying that as a place, it would be much more agreeable to talk about than to visit.
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
samuraisumo
Off The Deep End

Post by samuraisumo »

I wonder if there was a real Amy. This may not sound original thought, but couldyou imagine having a song written about you like that. Sort of like Angelina by Richard Marx.
My friends call me Sumo.

Al team member 62!
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

I'm sure there are stewardesses named Amy, and I'm sure there are women that Al got all googly-eyed over at various times, but I'm not sure that the two sets of women ever intersected. :P Is it in the Ask Al archives that he agreed with a fan that he might have subconsciously used the name Amy because of his own initials?
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

From Ask Al:

Rainbow Heron in Sumter SC asks: Did you chose the name "Amy" in "Airline Amy" cuz you're initials are A.M.Y.?

Actually, I was going more for the alliteration - it could have been Airline Annie, I suppose - but you're right, I guess on some level I guess I was influenced by my own initials.

There were a couple more questions about Airline Amy:

Steve "All about the Pentiums" K. of somewhere out there, NJ asks: "Airline Amy" is your *only* love song that doesn't end in suicide, death, or general misery for all involved. Is this because it was inspired by a real-life person, or were you just in a good mood that day?

I didn't have anybody in mind when I wrote that song, and I'm pretty much always in a good mood. And for what it's worth, I've always thought "You Make Me" was pretty much a straight-forward love song.

I really liked that answer! :D

What/who inspired "Airline Amy"?

I was not thinking of any particular woman. "Airline Amy" was actually inspired by a couple of songs that I heard by Nick Lowe and Jonathan Richman.

hehe:

Jared R of Coram, NY asks: Are there any "secret tracks" on any of your albums?

Yes. On "Off The Deep End," there's a secret track called "Airline Amy." Shhhh, don't tell anybody.

:lol:
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Just goes to show, research always trumps speculation. :D

Thanks, Patti! :P