The "off The Deep End" Thread

Moderator: Moderators

anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I haven't reviewed this yet?

SMELLS LIKE NIRVANA - One of Al's best parodies. A perfect jab at the original artist while still tongue in cheek enough to not offend Nirvana fans (let alone the band). 10/10

TRIGGER HAPPY - Hysterical, and on paper, one of the weirdest musical fusions you can imagine (a Beach Boys-style pro-gun song?). 9/10

I CAN'T WATCH THIS - The lyrics are great, and I think on the whole even stronger than "Couch Potato" (although the latter gets points for the Survivor mention!). Enjoyable but not essential. 8/10

POLKA YOUR EYES OUT - Maybe it was just a mediocre era for music in general (well, yeah, it was since it took so long for Al to find a good lead parody), but this is probably my least favorite polka. 6/10

I WAS ONLY KIDDING - Meh. It's kind of a one-joke premise, and musically it's nothing special. By far the low point of the album. 5/10

THE WHITE STUFF - Any other more risque parodist and this song would be about something else. :lookaround: The absolute randomness of this one makes it a winner. How many other songs out there celebrate the goodness that is Oreo cream? 9/10

WHEN I WAS YOUR AGE - Like IWOK, it's a one-joke premise but it works a lot better here. 8/10

TACO GRANDE - I really enjoy this one for some reason. The original song is pretty funny in itself (and I'm being serious here, there are some jokes in "Rico Suave" that are pretty good) but this is even better. Still, I want "Rico Suave" on iTunes already! 9/10

AIRLINE AMY - It's not that funny, but musically, it's great. 8/10

THE PLUMBING SONG - I like it a lot. The keyboards are great, and the lyrics are decent. 8/10

YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE - Classic. Some of Al's funniest-ever lyrics. 9/10

BITE ME - Meh. I really don't care about it either way. The parody of the Nirvana thing is too good to give it a low grade, but it's too short and worthless to get a high grade. 5/10

OVERALL: 81% (without "Bite Me")
I'm ranking every Beatles song on my new pop culture blog. Check it out!
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Um, Al said that Trigger Happy is sort of more anti-gun.

Think about it.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

Well, it's from a pro-gun perspective. It definitely makes gun-crazy people seem insane, but the narrator in the song is pro-gun.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :lookaround:
https://anthonycusumano.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Yes, but by obnoxiously pointing out how crazy these gun-toting maniacs are, I still think he gets the point across that guns are dangerous.

And that's my side of it.

There was a quote somewhere about a fan talking to Al after a show, and saying how much he loved guns, and how happy he was that Al wrote a song like that. Al decided not to argue the point with someone like that, so he politely agreed. I just can't find the quote.

So awesome!

Al Team #325
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

I think it's mentioned in the PR booklet, or a similar story.
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

Permanent Record Booklet wrote: "Trigger Happy." - "I just thought it would be fun to juxtapose a Beach Boys/Jan & Dean type surf riff with a song about a gun nut.

I think the song's pro-gun control sentiment is fairly obvious, but one day I was doing an interview in Canada on a call-in talk show, and somebody called in and said 'Oh, I think it's great that you wrote this song, because I love guns, I got a lot of guns and I think it's great that you'd write a song like that.'  Not wanting to explain the irony to someone who's heavily armed, I simply said 'Thank you very much!'"
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

Yeah. . .TH is definitely a tongue-in-cheek "pro-gun" song. In other words, it's anti-gun.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it. (Unless you're armed, in which case, I'll humbly cede my point.)

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

That's where that quote was from! The PR booklet! *slaps forehead*

Thanks for posting that, Mystik!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
mrmeadows
Obsessed

Post by mrmeadows »

I see where the review of OTDE I posted last night was moved over here. That's fine, except I've been going to the "Albums Listed by Subject" Sticky Topic under Music & Record to find the Review threads before starting a new album review topic. The OTDE portion said there were no review threads for this album yet, so I started one.

Not complaining, just pointing out that I DID try to find a current review thread before starting my own! :D (Actually, this topic isn't even listed under the Sticky "Albums" topic for OTDE. Probably should be updated.)

Meadows
Your Horoscope For Today: Try to avoid any Virgos or Leos with the Ebola virus.
Apocaloso
Die-hard Fan

Post by Apocaloso »

i love this ALbum!!! :D
Fry J. Apocaloso
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/apocaloso27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Videoclip of SHE NEVER TOLD ME SHE WAS A MIME (2009): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnElaNqX9Rg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;