Smells Like Nirvana

Moderator: Moderators

Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

I have a question about this song. I've only seen Al live once. It was on the Bad Hair Tour, and I remember being surprised that they didn't play "Smells Like Nirvana". I figured they must have stopped playing it because of Kurt's death. However, now I know that that song is regularly in Al's show and was even on the setlist for that tour. Anyone have an idea why they wouldn't have played it at the show I saw?
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
weird_el
Off The Deep End

Post by weird_el »

The first time I saw Al (in Albany, NY Feb 2000) he didn't do SLN there either. Turns out the reason was he had a sore throat and SLN is harder on his voice than the other songs in the set.
This means something. This is important.
Keir
Obsessed

Post by Keir »

weird_el @ Dec 14 2006, 06:40 PM wrote: The first time I saw Al (in Albany, NY Feb 2000) he didn't do SLN there either. Turns out the reason was he had a sore throat and SLN is harder on his voice than the other songs in the set.
I hadn't thought of that. That's probably it. Thanks!

EDIT: Just figured out what show it was: 9/12/96 at the Webster Theatre in Hartford, CT
Wishing you a Twisted Christmas and a Twisted New Year!
barglenawdlezouzman
Obsessed

Post by barglenawdlezouzman »

i noticed that the begining of smells like nirvana is faster than smells like teen spirit. wow. first post in 2 years :o
the whistles go woooo-bubb rubb
weirdalfan1000000
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan1000000 »

weird_el @ December 14, 2006 01:40 pm wrote: The first time I saw Al (in Albany, NY Feb 2000) he didn't do SLN there either. Turns out the reason was he had a sore throat and SLN is harder on his voice than the other songs in the set.
Al didn't play it in Indianapolis this year(my first concert), because he couldn't find cheerleaders. I really wish he did that song then. I think he still should have done it.
kyky27
Off The Deep End

Post by kyky27 »

I have seen this song live twice, I think it's one of my favorite songs live. It and Polkarama. (Mainly because it's the beginning of the concert and the flashing lights get the hype up even more.)
"Did you see Journey to the Center of the Earth?"
"I did!"
"Me neither...wait..."
"You had that planned didn't you?"
"..yeah.."
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Searching for random stuff on google, I came across a link to the Laura Barrett cover of this song on iTunes. It's hilarious! The album is a woman playing a bunch of songs on an African strumming instrument, and SLN is one of the tracks on there. (It's on iTunes, so you can sample it on there if you want to check it out.)
And Peggy
AlejandraDD
Obsessed
Awards: Most Violent Reaction to Someone Losing the Al-Man of the Year Award (The Tomato Awards)

Post by AlejandraDD »

You can hear the whole song in this Coverville podcast
"Some nerds search Weird Al boards their whole lives and never meet anyone." - uwvark

2019: Fort Wayne, Kettering, Rochester Hills, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
https://www.concertarchives.org/alejand ... l-yankovic

AlFest 2009
weirdalrocks
Obsessed

Post by weirdalrocks »

i love this song a great parody of nirvana. rip kurt cobain :(W
next posting goal:2700
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Big Spoon @ November 27, 2008 03:26 am wrote: Searching for random stuff on google, I came across a link to the Laura Barrett cover of this song on iTunes. It's hilarious! The album is a woman playing a bunch of songs on an African strumming instrument, and SLN is one of the tracks on there. (It's on iTunes, so you can sample it on there if you want to check it out.)
I just listened to the sample on iTunes. That's really bizarre. It kinda misses the point of the song to play it in any other style, don't you think? :huh: