Bohemian Polka

Moderator: Moderators

Friz
Occasional

Post by Friz »

Actually, I disagree with you all. I think Bohemian Polka is actually a large slice of brick. With a hat on.
Friz.

A UK Al Fan. I mainly lurk.
cody
Die-hard Fan

Post by cody »

KnottyEmily @ Jul 29 2006, 05:47 PM wrote: I've always wondered, since it's a cover, why Al chose not to copy Freddy Mercury's vocal style. I'm pretty sure he could have done it, so I'm thinking it was because he was kind of making fun of the song, and that it was polka-style?
some of the best covers are done in a completely different style.

(See: Devo - Satisfaction)
MaleHeffer
Addicted
Location: In The Middle Of Missouri, which hasn't had an AL sighting since 1992

Post by MaleHeffer »

although i love the song and the way he sings it, all this sounding like Freddie Mercury talk makes me wonder... what would it sound like???

anyways, i agree it is a cover, and a darn good one at that. why doesn't AL do some more?
"MaleHeffer"
AL Team #1227

Still depressed i missed this last tour...
darbus
Occasional
Location: Somewhere in Northern Utah, in a suburb of Clearfield.

Post by darbus »

There isn't anything that says he HAS to sound like Freddie Mercury. There are lots and lots and lots of covers out there, and I'll bet very few of the artists imitate the original "sound" of the original artist. Whoever re-records a song puts their own spin, or style, or "signature", as it were, on the new version.
<< Insert "amusing anecdote" here. >>
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

cody @ Jul 30 2006, 02:20 PM wrote: some of the best covers are done in a completely different style.

(See: Devo - Satisfaction)
I agree that the best covers don't reflect the original style at all.

Also see Jimi Hendrix: All Along the Watchtower.

I think that if Al had tried to sound like Freddie, it would take away from the polka style. It also wouldn't have been as funny. This one called for Al's vocal stylings.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Mr. Rooney
Occasional

Post by Mr. Rooney »

Also just to note the fact that the song is a key and a half lower than the original, so it does feel a little bit more Al's then a direct take-off. I actually plugged in the song to Audacity and raised the key a step and a half and it did feel a lot closer to the original, aside the squeakiness. 'Twas kinda cool.

Also, now that I'm on the subject of the song, I heard this really funny Jewish parody of the song, not Al, but still funny, even though it's STRICTLY directed towards a Jewish audience, so the Gentiles out there might miss more than half of the jokes.

I apologize for that non-Al digression. It's a good polka.

Edit: HOLY CRAP 27TH POST! :yay:
"Lesbian Nazi hookers, abducted by UFOs and forced into weight-loss programs, all this week on Town Talk."
Muldernscully
Addicted

Post by Muldernscully »

I'll go with polka, since the lyrics remain unchanged.
HappyGilmore
Obsessed

Post by HappyGilmore »

I'd say it's an 'homage/cover.'

Nobody could cover a Queen song and have it be taken seriously, becuase Freddie was such a great singer. I'd say this was Al's way of paying tribute without having to defend himself to critics and such about how he couldn't match up.

Plus the album needed a polka.
That's what you get when you let your heart win.
BigWeirdAlFan

Post by BigWeirdAlFan »

I thought it was pretty cool myself :)
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

All this time I thought that the albums booklet listed it as a parody, though it's basically just a cover. But then I looked at the booklet and saw that the writing credits said "Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen" as opposed to "parody of Bohemian Rhapsody by Queen". I don't know why the title had to be different. Of course, I didn't realise that all of the lyrics were the same as the original until a year ago.