Syndicated Inc.

Moderator: Moderators

Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I love when people end an argument by using the actual word, "period" as if that adds some level of truth to the argument itself.

If you go back and read this topic, nobody has argued that it is not a good tune. I love the melody of the song. In fact, "Misery" is one of my absolute favorite songs that Al has parodied over the years. What myself and others have argued, quite well, I think, is that the lyrics are incredibly weak, especially when compared to most other Al songs.

As to your argument that the accordion solo makes the song worth "the price of admission," I venture to guess that that is precisely what Al thought when he decided to "accordion-ize" the solo. I'm sure he knew quite well that the song was below his typical standards and felt that a long-desired accordion solo would distract fans from this fact.

Finally, it is certainly NOT a great addition to the album. Even fans who have defended the song admit that it's one of the weakest songs on the album, should have been replaced with "I'll Repair For You," and would have been better suited to a concert medley.

And just so that nobody can argue any further:

Period.
Gotta Boogie
Occasional

Post by Gotta Boogie »

I apologize for offering MY opinion. Period.
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Nothing wrong with offering your opinion at all. But that doesn't mean that others aren't free to question it.
Gotta Boogie
Occasional

Post by Gotta Boogie »

exactly. That is why I question yours!
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

And why I have answered your question. Quite well, I think.
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

I disagree. The whole arguement that the lyrics are weak is kind of like jumping on the bandwagon, just because on person says it, doesn't make it true.

You can't convince me that "Syndicated Inc." is horrible just becuase of the rhyming structure. Take, "Numb" by U2. I love that song, and the public liked it too, but the rhyming structure was 'weak.' It however, managed to hit No. 2 on the US Modern Rock Tracks Chart. That's pretty impressive.

I find that the song is really enjoyable, and funny. The accordion solo is awesome too. I'm sure Al added it for comedic effect, not to sell a bad song. If he though the song was below his standard, he won't have recorded it (a la "I'm in Love With the Skipper"). He probably would've recorded a different parody, or had only four parodies on his album. He however, did record it, and I enjoy it.

Also, true, the song might be weak compared to TFHI, but Al didn't get permission to do that, so it doesn't really count. It's kinda like saying, "Well I would've gotten an A on the test if I studied..." It's comparing apples to monkeys. :P

Also, the period thing, I think you're misinterperating it. It wasn't a IN YO FACE SUCKA thing. It was probably just his (Gotta Boogie's), typing style.

Anyway, just wanted to express my opinion and discuss your guys opinions.
kyky27
Off The Deep End

Post by kyky27 »

This song is alright. I really don't mind it. Not one of my favorites, but it's not that bad. I don't see why you guys are having an argument over it. People have their own opinions. That's fine.
"Did you see Journey to the Center of the Earth?"
"I did!"
"Me neither...wait..."
"You had that planned didn't you?"
"..yeah.."
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Way_Moby @ Aug 2 2008, 08:09 PM wrote: I disagree. The whole arguement that the lyrics are weak is kind of like jumping on the bandwagon, just because on person says it, doesn't make it true.
You're absolutely right. Saying something does not make it true. However, saying something and backing it up with well thought-out, logical explanations makes it a much more convincing argument than saying, "Well, I like it so there! Neener, neener!"

You can't convince me that "Syndicated Inc." is horrible just becuase of the rhyming structure.

I'm going to ignore the fact that you started that sentence with the words "you can't convince me." That's a whole other barrel of monkeys. But if you read any of my posts, I not ONCE commented on the rhyming structure as being the problem with the song. The fact that all the lines end with the long E is not the point. The point is that the song is nothing more than a list and that it lacks creativity.

I find that the song is really enjoyable, and funny.

Great!

If he though the song was below his standard, he won't have recorded it (a la "I'm in Love With the Skipper").

Have you heard the story behind "Girls Just Wanna Have Lunch?" Clearly Al will and has recorded songs that he knew to be below his own standards. Usually it happens when his record company rushes him to complete an album or he has to fill a gap. It's happened with "Toothless People," "Living in the Fridge," and "White & Nerdy," with very mixed results. W&N proved, above all, that even when in a rush and under pressure, Al is capable of producing gems. Of course, that bit of success was also a matter of fortunate timing with Chamillionaire's hit coming around at just the right time.

Also, true, the song might be weak compared to TFHI, but Al didn't get permission to do that, so it doesn't really count. It's kinda like saying, "Well I would've gotten an A on the test if I studied..." It's comparing apples to monkeys. :P

Neither of those analogies are applicable in this instance.

Anyway, just wanted to express my opinion and your guys opinions.

And I appreciate you expressing your opinion....and my opinion. :blink:
Way_Moby
Obsessed

Post by Way_Moby »

Oh well, I guess we can agree to disagree.
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

syndicated inc more like syndicated stink
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;