The Alternative Polka

Moderator: Moderators

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby FredHuggins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:54 pm

HappyGilmore wrote:As much as I love this song, I think Alice in Chains should've been included in it somewhere. They had an album out around that time.


But were any songs from that album huge Top 40 hits? That factors into it. Hell, I wish TMBG could've had a big enough hit to be included in a polka - can you even imagine the awesomeness of a polkafied "Snail Shell"?
User avatar
FredHuggins
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1378
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:39 pm

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby HappyGilmore » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:18 am

FredHuggins wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:As much as I love this song, I think Alice in Chains should've been included in it somewhere. They had an album out around that time.


But were any songs from that album huge Top 40 hits? That factors into it. Hell, I wish TMBG could've had a big enough hit to be included in a polka - can you even imagine the awesomeness of a polkafied "Snail Shell"?

They had two songs do relatively well around '95 and '96: "Got Me Wrong" and "Heaven Beside You". Plus, they did an MTV Unplugged special and a bunch of their songs were being played all over the place.

Who knows, though. Maybe it was a situation like with Nickelback, couldn't see where he'd fit it, and didn't ask.
User avatar
HappyGilmore
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1892
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Philly

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby mattboy115 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:46 am

What exactly does this have to do with The Alternative Polka?
There is only one who can save us. His name is Weird. No, really, Weird is his name.
User avatar
mattboy115
Occasional
 
Posts: 143
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby HappyGilmore » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:30 am

mattboy115 wrote:What exactly does this have to do with The Alternative Polka?

I was saying that I really like The Alternative Polka but felt that an Alice in Chains song could've fit in with it. Especially since Weezer pulled out and there was an open slot.
User avatar
HappyGilmore
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1892
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Philly

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby TMBJon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:48 am

HappyGilmore wrote:I was saying that I really like The Alternative Polka but felt that an Alice in Chains song could've fit in with it. Especially since Weezer pulled out and there was an open slot.

Weezer pulled out at the very last second (the liner notes were already printed!!), so there was barely enough time to edit Buddy Holly out of the polka, certainly no time to add in a little segment and have it match the parts before and after.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
User avatar
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
 
Posts: 20432
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:24 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby HappyGilmore » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:27 am

TMBJon wrote:
HappyGilmore wrote:I was saying that I really like The Alternative Polka but felt that an Alice in Chains song could've fit in with it. Especially since Weezer pulled out and there was an open slot.

Weezer pulled out at the very last second (the liner notes were already printed!!), so there was barely enough time to edit Buddy Holly out of the polka, certainly no time to add in a little segment and have it match the parts before and after.

Yeah.

Why'd they pull out anyway?
User avatar
HappyGilmore
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1892
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: Philly

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby TMBJon » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:40 am

If anyone understood how Rivers Cuomo's mind works, the world would be a very different place.
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
User avatar
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
 
Posts: 20432
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2003 4:24 pm
Location: Santa Monica, CA

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby anthontherun » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:57 am

Wasn't the full version of TAP supposed to be released on a BHD single but that fell through? If that's the case, then Cuomo must have given permission, taken it back, given it again and then taken it back once again all in the span of about a year. And we all thought Coolio was difficult around that time.

(Ok, in fairness we don't know the full details so I probably shouldn't accuse Rivers of anything)
User avatar
anthontherun
Be jealous.
 
Posts: 17702
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2002 8:41 am
Location: VA

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby Way_Moby » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:43 pm

I've read that too, but I can't remember where... If that's the case, I hope that the "Buddy Holly" section was mixed and mastered and is just sitting on a shelf somewhere, to be released one day.
User avatar
Way_Moby
Obsessed
 
Posts: 1414
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm
Location: Kansas

Re: The Alternative Polka

Postby mattboy115 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:34 pm

Well until then you've got my "repaired" version that I linked you to a few posts back. :lol:
There is only one who can save us. His name is Weird. No, really, Weird is his name.
User avatar
mattboy115
Occasional
 
Posts: 143
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 0 post
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:37 pm
Location: Columbus, OH

PreviousNext

Return to Bad Hair Day

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests