I Remember Larry

Moderator: Moderators

Yankopunk
Addicted

Re: I Remember Larry

Post by Yankopunk »

LaikaComeHome wrote: Perfect considering how there have been people back masking and burning Al's album accusing him of satanism.
That's not an issue anymore, thankfully. Not since George Newman blew the lid off Satanism on an episode of Town Talk.

Youtube
The greatest thing a human being can do is make another person happy. If I can ever help do that for you, just let me know!
ThisGuyMarty
Occasional

Post by ThisGuyMarty »

I recently listened to They Might Be Giants "Apollo 18" album and I couldn't help but notice their song "See The Constellations" sounds a fair bit like "I Remember Larry". Has anyone else ever noticed this before? If you haven't play both songs back to back and I think you'll see what I mean.
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

ThisGuyMarty wrote:I recently listened to They Might Be Giants "Apollo 18" album and I couldn't help but notice their song "See The Constellations" sounds a fair bit like "I Remember Larry". Has anyone else ever noticed this before? If you haven't play both songs back to back and I think you'll see what I mean.
I just listened to it for the first time (Well half of it) and the melody of the chorus is pretty similar.
Killingsworth
Off The Deep End

Post by Killingsworth »

I remember hearing it had been previously confirmed that this song was a style parody of "Calling All Girls" by Hilly Michaels. Quite frankly, I'm surprised no one but me thought to bring it up in the songs' official thread until just now. Al already covered TMBG with EYKIW on this album but then again, we're talking about the same album where Al parodied two different Soul Asylum songs ("Misery" >> "Syndicated Inc." "Black Gold" >> "The Night Santa Went Crazy). Plus, TNSWC also borrowed a bit from Ozzy Osbournes' "Mama I'm Coming Home", so who am I to say Al didn't style this one after two specific songs from TMBG AND Hilly Michaels?
Life is a bowl of three-legged salamanders swimming around in an infinite ocean of strawberry jello...
ThisGuyMarty
Occasional

Post by ThisGuyMarty »

Even the ending on both songs kind of goes into this psychedelic vibe with a sitar sound.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

I am so damn happy they did this in Montreal! It was so heavy too. Al's accordion playing was deadly! Bermuda killed it on the kit as well, was so happy to finally hear a Bad Hair Day deep cut Live, thought that may never happen.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!