One of the things I find really interesting about the polka medleys is the music that Yankovic uses to transition from one to the other. I know some of this is new (like the little line that changes keys between Sitta and Superstar) and I can place one of the quotes (Spike Jones!), but does anyone have any idea what some of the others might be?
–is Yankovic quoting something at the beginning of the song, or just writing a really cool accordion part?
* "Wannabe" by the Spice Girls
-this sounds like the beginning of something I've heard before? Or is it just a polka-y sounding pattern?
* "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger
* "Ghetto Supastar" by Pras Michel with Ol' Dirty Bastard and May
–quotes Spike Jones’s “Der Fuehrer’s Face”
* "Everybody (Backstreet's Back)" by Backstreet Boys
* "Walkin' On The Sun" by Smash Mouth
-this also sounds like Spike Jones with the sound effects and general zaniness.
* "Intergalactic" by the Beastie Boys
* "Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba
* "Ray Of Light" by Madonna
* "Push" by Matchbox-20
* "Semi-Charmed Life" by Third Eye Blind
-I love this abrupt change from the falsetto "do do doo"s to the lower, darker Manson impression!
* "The Dope Show" by Marilyn Manson
* "Mmmbop" by Hanson
* "Sex And Candy" by Marcy Playground
-this transition works so well! He just pivots the lyrics from one to the other.
* "Closing Time" by Semisonic
-this outro is new music written by Yankovic, right?