Grapefruit Diet

Moderator: Moderators

childofthespiral
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by childofthespiral »

Well @ Well, Well,Feb 13 2007, 11:27 PM wrote: The lyrics to this song are great, but I never really liked "Zoot Suit Riot" and the swing music genre.
I second that.

I don't see why RWS should be a less worthy album. The only song on there I really don't like is the eddie vedder, even though I like pearl jam. I don't really like country music all that much. And I LOVE Germs, because I love NIN. Can't help it. I'm a metalhead.
mind=blown
Oh, the secrets we keep
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

I love RWS and all the songs on there. Grapefruit Diet is not at all a filler to me. Its a good quality song. WAS theme might have been, but even that is a good song. I think that Grapefruit Diet is a great parody that deserved its spot on a great ALbum.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

Well, not to turn this into a RWS topic, but I quickly got tired of many of the songs on this album, including TWAS, YHFT, Germs, and yes, Albuquerque. I still like those songs, but they've kind of found a spot in the same group with most of DTBS. I just don't LOVE them as much as the others. Having said that, RWS is one of the strongest albums parody-wise.

However, of all the five parodies on the album, I'd have to say that "Grapefruit Diet" is my least favorite. It's good, but it doesn't stack up with the other four FAR superior parodies. But even though the joke had been done before (and much more successfully, I might add), it does make a nice follow-up to "Fat."
NerdyNyara27
Off The Deep End

Post by NerdyNyara27 »

I have to say I really like Grapefruit Diet. It makes me want to dance too! I actually went to a swing/jazz-dance class my friend was running, and there was a social dance afterward. Between songs at the social, I turned to Philippa and asked her if she liked "Zoot Suit Riot", since she's a really big swing fan as well as a really good dancer. When she answered in the affirmative, I said "Oh, well, there's a Weird Al parody of it" and she was really interested - I had it on my mp3 player at the time, and we listened to it in the car - via player-to-radio transmitter, of course :D - on the way back to her place afterwards. Good times.

(I personally can't think of a 'low' point on RWS - I actually do really like MBILWEV, the accordion in it is awesome and you don't have to know who Eddie Vedder is - as, in fact, I didn't when I first heard it - to appreciate the tale of a frustrated guy whose significant other has a major obsessive crush on a celebrity. :))

- Laurel -
'Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string! And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable.'
Narelle27
Die-hard Fan

Post by Narelle27 »

NerdyNyara27 Posted on Mar 9 2007, 11:23 PM
you don't have to know who Eddie Vedder is - as, in fact, I didn't when I first heard it - to appreciate the tale of a frustrated guy whose significant other has a major obsessive crush on a celebrity

Not like any of our spouses/boyfriends/partners/friends have that problem with us....... :F
there's a motorcycle zooming by me.....watch what happens when I open my door
NerdyNyara27
Off The Deep End

Post by NerdyNyara27 »

Never! :P

Well... actually I don't have that problem, no S/O to get jealous of my love of Al. Closest thing I have is my mother exuding disapproval when I collect Al stuff or listen to Al music 24-7 (27-4? :P).

- Laurel -
'Hey, I'm the Doctor, I can save the universe using a kettle and some string! And look at me, I'm wearing a vegetable.'
weirdalisthephantomoftheopera
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by weirdalisthephantomoftheopera »

My boyfriend pretends to be upset when I say, "I love Al." He goes, "But I thought you love me." I'll say, "I do..." and he'll say, "Good luck seeing UHF now!" He owns it, but I don't, sad, I know, but my mom is upset with my obsession and I can't ask her to drive me to buy it, so now I'm seeing it with my boyfriend.

Back to Grapefruit Diet...

After listening to it today, I suddenly love it more. Its weird, I just listened to it and now I've been thinking about it a lot. I got into Al song phases.
"Beneath this pillow is the key to my release...I believe she misinterpreted my intentions entirely."

~Meli
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

People keep saying that this song is like a sequel to Fat, but I don't see it as a sequel. And this song is extremely better than Fat.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

Every time I hear Grapefruit Diet, I have to suppress the urge to dance around like Al does on WAY Live :P
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
weird user
Addicted

Post by weird user »

I think that Grapefruit Diet would have made a better music video than Fat.