Dick's Automotive

Moderator: Moderators

TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

Based on someone's suggestion in my other thread, I downloaded "Dick's Automotive" by the Rugburns. I have officially lost respect for Al... I thought "Albuquerque" was one of his most inventive songs, and yet, "Dick's Automotive" was recorded at least 5 years before, and it's THE SAME SONG! Al even took lines almost directly from the Rugburns song!

How did he get away with that??
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

As Elvis has said, "It's about as close to plagerism as you can get without actually being plagerism."

I don't think you should judge Al based on one song. Sure, the songs are extremely similar, but think of all of his other originals that are just as awesome as Albuquerque. Also, I doubt that Al would deny the likeness between the two songs, if he did, then he might lose a tiny bit of my respect.
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
TheLazenby
Addicted

Post by TheLazenby »

I'm not trying to rip apart Al, but I actually can't understand why he didn't get in trouble... I mean, he didn't exactly change the melody. :(

Even "Suddenly, there's a knock on the door *taptaptaptap*" came from 'Dick's Automotive'.
Steve's mixes, lookie!
Lousy Haircut - complete!! http://www.mediafire.com/?xyimjmdjkml
Black Gold vs Santa! http://www.mediafire.com/?zztmgltz2ym
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

maybe he got permission?

maybe the Rugburns thought it was an honor to have Al "copy" their song?

they obviously didn't have a problem or they probably could have sued Al
The tsunami of immediacy will wash away the flood of grief, and reveal a layer of naive optimism underneath
Kayy911
Obsessed

Post by Kayy911 »

I just wasted 8 minutes and 40 seconds of my life listening to "Dick's Automotive" and I think Al Revived it. What was that song!? wow.
Those who say nothing is impossible have never tried slamming a revolving door.
Cinnamon
Obsessed

Post by Cinnamon »

Heeey, them's fighting words.

I thought it was a total original. I'm not familar with that other song, but many times I don't know which songs are originals and which ones aren't when new ALbums are released if they're based on songs I don't know.

Did anyone Ask Al if it was a parody or styled from something else? Or what his inspiration was? Was it a secret? Or was it just that no one asked?

(I didn't listen to that song, but I did glance over the lyrics, and it is similar.)

Why not Ask Al? See if it makes a difference.
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I don't think anyone has asked *runs over to Ask Al*

I'd be very surprised if it was a secret
weirdalfan95
Obsessed

Post by weirdalfan95 »

Um, wow. I downloaded it, too, and it sounds AMAZINGLY like Albuquerque... That's gotta be a record for Al having an original that sounds like a song that's atleast 5 years old when Al's song comes out.
Al- Team #2294
August 19, 2007 Waukegan IL Genessee Theater
KnottyEmily
Obsessed

Post by KnottyEmily »

I just listened to it too, and Albuquerque is a bizzillion times better....because, y'know, bizzillion is a word :S
Mystik Tomato
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: All of them.

Post by Mystik Tomato »

And it's a number :rolleyes:

:P
Sever your leg, please. It's the greatest day.