Dick's Automotive

Moderator: Moderators

Microwaved_Head
Obsessed

Post by Microwaved_Head »

I'll admit I was a little disapointed to read this, but I've not lost any respect at all. We've always known that some of Al's originals intentionally sound like other people's songs, and Al has always been totally open about this fact. Like a couple of people have already said, Al's lyrics are funnier, and even though the music is VERY similar, I think Albuqurque sounds better all around. I really don't see the problem.
-Debra

Stick Your Head In The Microwave And Get Yourself A Tan!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Very well said, Debra. As far as Al not listing the Rugburns on the cd, he has never listed any of the artists for style parodies. I think he likes us to try and figure that out for ourselves.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
thatoneguy
Obsessed

Post by thatoneguy »

Maybe Albuquerque is an Al orginal that just happens to soung like DA.
shakespeare234
Regular

Post by shakespeare234 »

algonacchick @ Jun 26 2006, 06:13 AM wrote: Very well said, Debra. As far as Al not listing the Rugburns on the cd, he has never listed any of the artists for style parodies. I think he likes us to try and figure that out for ourselves.
And it just took us a few years longer to figure it out. If we had figured out that this was a style parody when RWS came out, we would not be having this discussion right now, nor would we really care. It's just that some people are bummed out that they didn't know sooner. Hey, it's still a great song and this kind of makes it better. (However, to be honest, I have never heard DA).
Every 27th customer will get a ball peen hammer FREE!!!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

thatoneguy @ Jun 26 2006, 08:12 AM wrote: Maybe Albuquerque is an Al orginal that just happens to soung like DA.
Have you heard DA? They sound very similar, leading us to believe it's a style parody. It's so close, it's scary. But, Al's song is funnier by far! :D

So awesome!

Al Team #325
thatoneguy
Obsessed

Post by thatoneguy »

Yeah, I heard it. It does sound A LOT like it! I was sort of just being silly with that comment.
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ah, ok. Actually, I'd rather not ever hear DA again. It's kinda creepy.

I love Albuquerque, though. It makes me happy!

So awesome!

Al Team #325
Bruce the Duck
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Bruce the Duck »

I don't know yet how I feel about this. Yes, "Albuquerque" is a great song, and much much better than "Dick's Automotive." But this really bothers me.

What bothers me is not that the two songs sound so much alike. Like others have said, Al has been doing that all his career. Some songs even sound like "almost parodies" of other songs (TNSWC, for example).

But what bothers me about this is that it doesn't fit the mold of a typical style parody. Every single one of the artists Al has "style-parodied" has been a relatively well-known, established artist. It's not difficult to identify the style of Nirvana, NIN, TMBG, Devo, Oingo Boing, the B-52s, or Bob Dylan.

But this "Dick's Automotive" is by a band that, let's face it, nobody knows. If it was intended as a style parody of an artist Al liked, I think Al would have made a better effort to bring this artist into his fans' awareness. But Al has never mentioned the Rugburns before. It almost seems like he didn't want us to identify this parody.

Interestingly, this whole discussion reminds me of a discussion we had several months ago in the spoiler forum, and it may shed some light on some of our questions in there. BTW, this is not an invitation to bring up that topic here. The spoiler forum is the place for that, but I just thought I'd point out a similarity.
Squirrelygirl
Obsessed

Post by Squirrelygirl »

I do remember somewhere long ago Al saying this was a sort of "George Thoroughgood ramble". I don't recall if he mentioned the Rugburns, and I have not heard the melody, but he probably used a few different sources.
AL! You ATE Harvey!? YOU ATE HARVEY/??!!
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

I think anyone who's heard "Dick's Automotive" would tell you that this song is pretty much a direct style parody of this song and not much else.
I'd recommend listening to it anyway. It's a great song. Anyone know any of their other material?
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.