Dick's Automotive

Moderator: Moderators

Teh Dingo
Be jealous.
Awards: YOU'RE EITHER PANTSLESS OR YOU'RE AGAINST US

Post by Teh Dingo »

Akrovak @ Jun 27 2006, 12:00 PM wrote: Way back in 2002, in the now closed Ask Bermuda forum, [URL=forum/index.php?showtopic=190&view=findpost&p=1338]
Wow! Look at that ol' sly dog Bermuda teasing Genuis in France a little over a month before it's recorded. >:)

Naughty Bermuda!!! :lol:
You have quickly thought up such matchless phrase?
sethmartin
Regular

Post by sethmartin »

my guess for Album 12 would be about this time next year
weirdojace
Off The Deep End
Awards: I think I got Best Fan Parody when I was like 15.

Post by weirdojace »

No way, more like August or September of this year. They only have to record like one more song and then it's done.
http://nuclearbubblewrap.bandcamp.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Orthography Enthusiast
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Orthography Enthusiast »

Jigawatt @ Jun 27 2006, 03:51 PM wrote: It's like using boysenberry-flavored toothpaste. ..
Conclusion: brush your teeth and enjoy the fresh feeling in your mouth!

Adrian
Can you see my big purple smile here? :lol:
"Weird Al" has a charisma that's all his own. The awkward, the misshapen, the socially inept flock to his banner.
Dumb N00b
Obsessed

Post by Dumb N00b »

It's like using boysenberry-flavored toothpaste. If a given person has never eaten or seen an actual boysenberry, they might use boysenberry-flavored toothpaste and say "wow, what a truly unique flavor!" But then if that person were to, five years later, discover an actual boysenberry and eat it, they would not accuse the toothpaste maker of trying to pass off their toothpaste as an actual boysenberry. It's supposed to replicate the taste, but serve a different purpose.
The analogy works better if the actual boysenberry were poisoned with strychnine and slashed your face open when you tried to eat it, then started hauntingly chanting vaguely creepy-sounding nonsense and decided to follow in the steps of Freddy Kruger. :P
My apologies to all DA fans on this forum.
Dave? Hello Dave? Is Dave there? There's a block in your t'ilet.
Akrovak
Deliriously Dedicated

Post by Akrovak »

Akrovak @ Jun 27 2006, 12:00 PM wrote: Is it Al's responsibility to tell us who he is parodying? Or paying homage to? I don't think so (according to that Ask Bermuda topic, at times it would appear he doesn't even clue in his band members). As a fan, I appreciate the fact that Al can keep me on my toes and keep me guessing from time to time ... and I feel kind of smart when I figure something like this out (feel like it almost puts me on the same level as Al himself).
Quoting myself above.

And now this quote from the most recent Ask Al ...

In the past, I never put the artists that I style-parodied in the Special Thanks section on my album, mostly because I wanted to see if fans could figure out what I was doing (without being given any obvious hints). But I’ve come to realize that’s a little unfair to those artists – to whom I certainly owe a huge debt of gratitude – so I plan to acknowledge all my musical influences in the CD liner notes in the future.

Right before this, in the same question, he mentions The Rugburns.

Kinda like we were on the same wave length for a brief period of time.
PMFL!
SSMaTT

Post by SSMaTT »

I think for me the biggest issue with these songs is that I've always felt like every original song Al ever wrote was some sort of parody in some way. Which, I know is expected since he's a parody artist... but when I first heard Albuquerque I respected Al in a new way. I thought I was hearing something completely original and brilliant since I have never heard a song that even sounded remotely similar to it. So it's not as if I lost "respect" in general for Al after hearing DA, but more so, I lost my "new" respect for Al in the sense that I thought maybe I found a work that was truly an Al "original". I think this makes the most sense, and maybe is what a lot of other people are trying to say.
U62
Die-hard Fan

Post by U62 »

Does anyone else get the vibe from the latest "Ask Al" that Al had read this thread? It almost seems like a reply to us.

"my homages to them are always done with great affection and attention to detail"

What a guy! :inlove:
My name is U62 and I approved this message!
algonacchick
Thanks, Patti!

Post by algonacchick »

Ak, I like how you quoted yourself, and Al, but I will say that, even though I did this with fewer words, I kinda said the same thing you did about style parodies *and I said it first!* :P :

As far as Al not listing the Rugburns on the cd, he has never listed any of the artists for style parodies. I think he likes us to try and figure that out for ourselves.

It's almost eery that Al practically said the same thing I did!

And yes, I think he reads WOWAY, and definitely looked in here.
4 words that Al said to me that blew me away:

"How's Problem Child doing?" - 7/12/11

So awesome!

Al Team #325
U62
Die-hard Fan

Post by U62 »

Very cool! He used the phrase "'original' original" too, same as I did earlier in this thread. Probably just a coincidence, but a guy can dream. :D
My name is U62 and I approved this message!