Jerry Springer

Moderator: Moderators

JohnnyLurg
Regular
Awards: Discoverer of the elusive "Orgy On My Own"

Re: Jerry Springer

Post by JohnnyLurg »

Do you think "Jerry Springer" could be interpreted as transphobic or transmisogynistic nowadays because of the usage of the terms "shemale" and "drag queen?"
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
anthontherun
Be jealous.

Post by anthontherun »

The lyrics are a product of the show. The source material clearly doesn't highlight the best America has to offer, but I wouldn't find those lyrics any more inappropriate than, say, "TiVo now thinks I'm gay" in "Couch Potato," since that too was referencing an actual event. Not to get off-topic here, but thinking about it now, the "Touched By an Uncle" line seems atypically and distractingly dark for an Al song.
JohnnyLurg
Regular
Awards: Discoverer of the elusive "Orgy On My Own"

Post by JohnnyLurg »

anthontherun wrote:The lyrics are a product of the show. The source material clearly doesn't highlight the best America has to offer, but I wouldn't find those lyrics any more inappropriate than, say, "TiVo now thinks I'm gay" in "Couch Potato," since that too was referencing an actual event. Not to get off-topic here, but thinking about it now, the "Touched By an Uncle" line seems atypically and distractingly dark for an Al song.
Poodle Hat was my first Weird Al-bum when I was 12 and that joke thankfully went over my head then but now it disturbs me.

Also the Richard Simmons/King of Queens line kind of bothers me because Simmons has never publicly discussed his sexuality.
not to mention the toilets at Madonna Inn
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Wasn't that a crack at Kevin James' weight? I'm pretty sure it was.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
minnick27
Off The Deep End

Post by minnick27 »

In almost 13 years (holy crap) I have never thought that was a gay joke. I always thought it was just a bizarre guest appearance
Talking about music is like fishing about architecture- FZ
Big Spoon
Welp.
Awards: - Most Dedicated Non-Spoiler (2007)
- Best GC Thread (2010)
- Best TTR Skit (2010)
- Outstanding Achievement In Fan Parody (Recorded), Shared With The Rest Of The Minor Celebrities (2015)

Post by Big Spoon »

Same here. I totally get how it is now, but that thought never crossed my mind before.
And Peggy
Bridger987
Occasional

Post by Bridger987 »

JohnnyLurg wrote:Do you think "Jerry Springer" could be interpreted as transphobic or transmisogynistic nowadays because of the usage of the terms "shemale" and "drag queen?"
Not necessarily.

"Shemale" refers to a specific type of person falling under the trans* umbrella-- someone who has male genitals, but who has secondary female features such as breasts. A drag queen/transvestite is someone who dresses as someone of the opposite sex. A transvestite/drag queen may or may not be transgender. The contexts in which one uses these terms (not the terms themselves) determine whether or not they are offensive.

(Source: Having a couple of transgender friends and being an ally of a gay-straight alliance while attending college.)

I seriously doubt that Al has a transphobic cell in his body (with his support of the NOH8 campaign, his donations of proceeds from "Perform This Way" to the Human Rights Campaign, and his one-on-one work with Wendy Carlos for Peter and the Wolf.)

senorconebra
Be jealous.
Awards: OA in Tweeting/Social Media (2015)
Best Yankochick (-18 Division, 2015)

Post by senorconebra »

No idea if I've said this before but a really good friend of mine's dad is actually friends with Kevin Hearn, the keyboardist for BNL and I think about that everytime I listen to Jerry Springer or any BNL stuff. They're one of my favorite bands haha
conk or bepis
RunningWithScissors
Regular

Post by RunningWithScissors »

Jerry Springer just got cancelled... guess someone decided we've been spending too much time on that Jerry Springer...