Your Horoscope For Today!

Moderator: Moderators

avesjohn
Obsessed

Re: Your Horoscope For Today!

Post by avesjohn »

For some reason, many of the times when I'm listening to this song (including earlier this afternoon while listening to the iPod and walking home from the park), on the part where Al sings "never never never leave my house again", my mind always jumps to the scene in Jurassic Park III when the main characters are running away from the Spinosaurus after the Kirby family reunites, and they all hide in the building and lock the doors. This scene (1:45 into video), basically.

I know, other than a vague connection between "never leaving your house again" and "locking yourself inside a building", it makes no sense, but then again, neither do the horoscopes. Make no mistake, I think it's a great song; love the fun ska music and random, cruel horoscopes, but why JP3 and this song have a mental connection for me, I haven't a clue.

And that's my random Al thought for the day.
WeirdDana27
Addicted

Post by WeirdDana27 »

If I hadn't mentioned this already, this is one of the songs (along with "You Don't Love Me Anymore") that so pivotally helped me to better understand sarcasm and humor, especially the line, "You will never find true happiness/whatcha gonna do, cry about it?" People used to call me stupid for being unable to take a joke, but listening to Al's music changed all that. As evidenced by Al's youthful spirit even at his current age, humor is definitely age-defying, so I knew I couldn't keep being serious for too long! :D
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Song rules, hope they bring it back for a tour in the future.
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

There was this strange phenomenon on tumblr some time ago – the "weird al yankovic" tag was flooded by people posting lyrics of this song. It was getting rather irritating. I still don't understand what was going on.
TMBJon
Deliriously Dedicated
Awards: Greatest Member of All Time

Post by TMBJon »

Bermuda, Jim, and Steve kill it here, as do the horns - it sounds exactly like what it is: Reel Big Fish doing a Mighty Mighty Bosstones style parody!

Pick it up, pick it up, pick it uppppp! :tacky:
I couldn't tell a dirt clod from a plate of caviar.
Yankomaniac
Off The Deep End

Post by Yankomaniac »

Reel Big Fish is playing up the road from me pretty soon. Liked their appearance in the movie Baseketball. :potato:
What a racket they're makin', Jack, they keep me up at night playin' their electric guitars!!
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

I dig this song very much. It makes me laugh a lot more than it probably should. It's rather personal for me as I am a big believer is Astrology and general New Age Hippiness. I know a few people that are readers get offended by this song, but they take themselves WAY to seriously to begin with. Whatever, their lost. I love the music in this so g as it is very danceable to me. I can shake my hinny to just about anything...10 out of 5 Stars
Last edited by KatrinatheGood on Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mellow weasel
Obsessed

Post by mellow weasel »

KatrinatheGood wrote:It's rather personal for me as I am a big believer is Astrology and general New Age Hippiness. I know a few people that are readers get offended by this song, but they take themselves WAY to seriously to begin with.
It's applaudable that you can take a joke!
KatrinatheGood
Addicted

Post by KatrinatheGood »

mellow weasel wrote:
KatrinatheGood wrote:It's rather personal for me as I am a big believer is Astrology and general New Age Hippiness. I know a few people that are readers get offended by this song, but they take themselves WAY to seriously to begin with.
It's applaudable that you can take a joke!
As Mr. Yankovic says: no one is above being parodied. It has been argued me that getting enjoyment out of this song means that by beliefs are weak. Umm no...a song cannot change mine anyone else's faith or what is true to the individual. I take it for what it is. A super catchy song with clever lyrics. Written by a gentleman whom I hold in very high regard. I've actually had it in repeat for a few days. :P :tacky:
LaikaComeHome
Die-hard Fan

Post by LaikaComeHome »

Awesome song, very good for AMVs. ^_^ It's fun listening to the song and imagining the lyrics applying to people you know IRL/imagining people you know in the horoscope scenarios.
Fan since 2007. Blossomed from casual fan to Algal in 2016. 9/14/16-<3 Mandatory Fun Tour at PPAC
--
Tumblr url is rock-a-noodle for those who want to hmu.